#1 Joycey

Joycey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

well i have been wondering about a straight cut boxes for a while and have been looking for info on them,

-how are they better than the conventional gearboxes?
-what are the advantages?

i know there have may been some light on this topic before but i would like to know you opinions..

cheers

Edited by Joycey, 02 October 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#2 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

You get closer ratios enabling the engine to stay 'on cam' after gearchanges and you get slightly lower transmission power losses

Paul

#3 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

Also correct if i am wrong, they are stronger than normal helical cut gears therefore can take the power of a modified engine etc. I was looking into these but was advised against it for the time being until i have a better spec on my engine where i would actually benfit from fitting one. One thing to bear in mind is that they are loud, they give a constant whine sound when any gear is engaged, you can get an idea of what it would be like by going to an open area and driving in reverse for a bit as the standard reverse gear is straight cut. :proud:

#4 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

they sound awesome! although not good if you like a quiet ride :proud:

Edited by Minigirl, 02 October 2009 - 04:24 PM.

#5 LOWRIDERHORNET

LOWRIDERHORNET

I want a beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Local Club: Jester`s Mini Club

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

This aint me but you will no what they sound like

hUJvpWwLmHM

#6 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

theres a red one round by me that has a straight cut box, it sounds gud and goes well :proud:

#7 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

SC boxes arent stronger than helical. A helical gear has a longer 'root' therefore are stronger than SC, but you still are quite unlikely to break one

Paul

#8 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

yep. helical are stronger, but you get more transmission loss through them, power is lost as it tries to push the gears to the side. But if you have an engine circa 100bhp this side thrust will push your drop gears through your casing... hence the 'need' for them with high powered engines, no need for a s/c box though.

#9 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

not correct, dog box's as they do away with syncro allows space to use wider gears inside...if they did double helicle would be all together better

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

not correct, dog box's as they do away with syncro allows space to use wider gears inside...if they did double helicle would be all together better

Assuming I understand what you mean, and I'm not sure that I do because your reply seems to be missing several important words, the question is not about dog boxes it's about straight cut gearboxes. As you must know, these are not the same thing.

As said above straight cut gears have lower internal losses and offer more direct power transfer. The main benefit of them for gear makers and racers though is that they are far cheaper and faster to produce than helical gears. It is also possible to mix and match straight cut gears to some extent to allow for subtley different ratios, this cannot be done with helical gears. This allows racers to build gearboxes for specific circuits more easily than with helical gears.

Edited by Dan, 02 October 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#11 Lot

Lot

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Are SC gears made from stronger steel compared to normal helical gears?

It the materials were identical then helical would be stronger otherwise it's harder to judge. May be helical would still be the strongest but the margin is less if stronger steel is being used.

Edited by Lot, 02 October 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#12 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

i always thought the benefits of a SC syncro box over a helical one were the better ratio's and the lack of side loading the bearings.

#13 Hughes

Hughes

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

I dont care what the beneifts are, that noise in the video is sexual.

I want one.

#14 TimmyG

TimmyG

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:10 AM

Advantages of a straight cut gearbox are;

closer ratios;-good to keep the engine 'on-song' when caning it, and generally nicer to drive when not caning it if used with final drive that is matched to your engine spec.

Longer first gear great for minimising wheelspin on fast starts, and means you can use it on tight corners/ hairpins and allows you to cover alot of ground (50mph with 3.4 fd) before changing gear

box will last longer/cope with more and consume less power as the straight cut gears don't produce side loadings on the bearings.

noise (if you like it like me!)

Disadvantages;

closer ratios;- because of the first 3 gears being much longer final drive selection is a much bigger compromise between cruising ability and acceleration especially with lumpy cams.

Longer 1st gear;- with a 3.44 fd is a pain to hill start (286 cam) AND very revvy on the cruise. Expect to be changing the clutch regularly!

Noise;- if you don't like it!

HOWEVER if you don't have very high power and don't use straight cut drop gears the noise is minimal, think of the wine in first gear (straight cut anyway) and double it, not that bad at all AND what many seem to forget in 4th gear you are not loading any of the straight cut gears anyway- the drive goes staight through the mainshaft to the final drive- so there will be virtually no more noise than standard, certainly not detectable at motorway speeds. Non intrusive gear wine in 1st 2nd and 3rd when you want it and none in 4th when you don't! Maybe?! happy days! :(

Edited by TimmyG, 03 October 2009 - 01:18 AM.

#15 TimmyG

TimmyG

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

SC boxes arent stronger than helical. A helical gear has a longer 'root' therefore are stronger than SC, but you still are quite unlikely to break one

Paul

I think you meant to say that SC GEARS arent stronger than helical gears, as you say a helical gear has a larger tooth root to spread the load and is therefore stronger for a given material. However a gearBOX built with straight cut gears will be stronger i.e.more durable as the bearings are no longer having to cope with thrust loads. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users