#16 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

sorry Al, i have not read your build but why the Q was it a second hand shell or to many second hand bits?

http://www.theminifo...amp;mode=linear

in short i used a standard mini donor car registered as a normal mini. then with the zcars kit installed altered the records with the DVLA to match the engine code and size. they must have done a spot check and got me to take it to the DVLA for inspection. there they determined that there wasnt enough mini left to call it a mini let alone keep its orig identity. by this point i had spend far more than i wanted, so buying a new shell to make the car "new" to the DVLA was out of the question. because i had the orig shell they saw that and the engine as second hand so they wouldn't allow anything other than a Q reg after an IVA test.

#17 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, that sums it up. I suppose someone has to keep the vosa lads in a job, its like a ghost town at my local sva/iva.

#18 mcgary

mcgary

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hello Chaps,

I am planning to built a shorty. Would this car have to be registered as a Q plate? Also how difficult would this be to put through a IVA test?
Also what is the costs? Am i right to say it is £450.
Seems like it could be a expensive project for a wee bit of fun.

Cheers

Gary

#19 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hello Chaps,

I am planning to built a shorty. Would this car have to be registered as a Q plate? Also how difficult would this be to put through a IVA test?
Also what is the costs? Am i right to say it is £450.
Seems like it could be a expensive project for a wee bit of fun.

Cheers

Gary

you might be alright without a VOSA IVA test. if you have a donor car which is standard, you are only changing the chassis to be shorter. if i can pass with the zcars mini im sure you can pass with a shorty.
the IVA manual has segments of what they class as outside and inside the car so that they can assess the angles / sharp edges, so if your chopping the roof off then the interior is now the exterior...
thinking about it seatbelt mounts are going to be a pain. you need some silly amount of metal thickness and bracing around the mounts which isnt a problem but you would build the car around that.

yeah £450 plus vat

good luck

Al

#20 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

Well done on getting it through the IVA, and I don't see any 'shame' attached to the Q plate, and in fact I believe it enhances the vehicle as it shows not only have you built it, but also it's been tested (IVA'ed) and all is OK..

IMO, That's a GOOD thing... and that car now hold credibility as a well built vehicle..

:(

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

I imagine you wouldn't have enough points to keep the registration regardless of the shell.

Regarding the shorty, as I understand it you would need an IVA as the body would be structurally modified. You ought to be able to avoid a Q plate if it's built from 1 car.

There's a catch 22 argument you could try: If they say it needs a Q plate because the body isn't new, then it must be the original shell which begs the question why you need an IVA.

Out of interest Al,

Whats it called on the V5 if it's no longer a Mini?

#22 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

I imagine you wouldn't have enough points to keep the registration regardless of the shell.

Regarding the shorty, as I understand it you would need an IVA as the body would be structurally modified. You ought to be able to avoid a Q plate if it's built from 1 car.

There's a catch 22 argument you could try: If they say it needs a Q plate because the body isn't new, then it must be the original shell which begs the question why you need an IVA.

Out of interest Al,

Whats it called on the V5 if it's no longer a Mini?

its a "zcars mini type-r" on my v5
manufacturer is weirdly Austin still.. not me or zcars... i just dont get the dvla....
the dvla messed up in many other ways too, like they put 4 seats regardless of how many times i told them it only had 2.. idiots.

#23 SAD_Man

SAD_Man

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Al,

First thank you for taking the time to write this

Just a couple of things I wasn't clear on - you mention the Dash having to show "speed rating"

"Digidash have a free firmware upgrade for the Digidash lite which allows you to put the dash into "road" mode which complies with the new standard of always showing the speed rating from the moment you turn the key. i had the old firmware which warned about things like fuel level alert over the top of the speed. (you need to send it to them)"

Also does the dash have an ododmeter built in which keeps mileage if it loses 12 volts - do you have to have an ododmeter for SVA?

Cheers

#24 the-green-monkey

the-green-monkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Local Club: Durham mini club

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does every car need an IVA test or is it only if its been modified?

#25 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Al,

First thank you for taking the time to write this

Just a couple of things I wasn't clear on - you mention the Dash having to show "speed rating"

"Digidash have a free firmware upgrade for the Digidash lite which allows you to put the dash into "road" mode which complies with the new standard of always showing the speed rating from the moment you turn the key. i had the old firmware which warned about things like fuel level alert over the top of the speed. (you need to send it to them)"

Also does the dash have an ododmeter built in which keeps mileage if it loses 12 volts - do you have to have an ododmeter for SVA?

Cheers

The Digi dash lite software upgrade shows on the detail lcd panel (green) xxMPH at all times, you can select a mode on the digidash lite to show the odometer but i never had to show this working on the IVA test. i dont recall reading anything in the manual either.

#26 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does every car need an IVA test or is it only if its been modified?

its a question that has been asked quite a bit. its all down to what has actually been done to your car.
check out an earlier post which references a thread that i contributed to about keeping the original identity of a zcars mini.
its a massive topic in its own right.

#27 the-green-monkey

the-green-monkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Local Club: Durham mini club

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

its a question that has been asked quite a bit. its all down to what has actually been done to your car.
check out an earlier post which references a thread that i contributed to about keeping the original identity of a zcars mini.
its a massive topic in its own right.

Cool thanks my current car is just a stock 998 but im thinking of getting a new one and making a zcar, absolutely no idea where that moneys going to come from though :thumbsup:

#28 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Only if it's been modified. And this one has been modified quite a bit...
Well done on passing Al.

#29 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Does the car need a new IVA everytime something else is changed after the first one?
And does the iva last 3 years before its first mot (like all new cars) or does it just have an mot every year after?

#30 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Does the car need a new IVA everytime something else is changed after the first one?
And does the iva last 3 years before its first mot (like all new cars) or does it just have an mot every year after?

The IVA'd car i assume would then fall under the same reasons you would need another IVA. if you changed it back to mini again for example would be classed as a major modification and would require another test to check its road worthy.

I was told by the dvla i didnt need to MOT it for 3 years which is good. although i never go that in wrinting..... i will see when i try taxing it later this year i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users