#46 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hello,
Where do you get the new figures from for speeds they are totally different to the previous spreadsheet posted whilst having the same gearing 16\54? Are you still working in mph or kph now?

I've never heard of a 620, do you mean 630, does anyone do a custom sprocket to suit the fireblade?

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 27 November 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#47 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

Doh ! sorry david, my bad, typo and wrong attatchment, woops, corrected original post....

Edited by Sean12, 07 December 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#48 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

hey guys,

got a question for you lot, what has everyone done about speedo's ? i have the original blade speedo and would quite like to use this for a while as i wont be able to afford a digidash right away. any ideas or previous experience in setting up the original speedos to work taking into account new sprocket and tyre sizes ect...

cheers lads

Edited by Sean12, 07 December 2009 - 12:20 AM.

#49 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

I am using the R1 set up. Have been looking into a speedo healer thingmajig.

Edited by Rosslin Racing, 15 January 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#50 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

rosslin, yeah i have had a brief look at these, and from what i can tell the 98 blade has a fully electronic speedo, so hopefully its just a case of buying a speedo healer and using the right ratio and that should do the trick, we will soon see i guess lol anyone with any experience of this would be great to here your advice and opinions

#51 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

little update, lots of progress made on the diff setup the last week or so, the aliminium has been machined and thread holes added etc, the bearing carriers are nearly finished, bearings just need to be machine pressed into the alluminium carriers, a punch hole has been machined into the carriers just in case the bearings need replacing, these bearings are real heavy duty so shouldnt need changing regularly at all, they are life bearings and are completely sealed so never need greasing etc and take alot of abuse.

images of setup look slightly confusing, but basically there are two bearing carriers each side of the diff, once the bearings are pressed in the carriers are bolted together using flush alan key bolts. the big block of aluminium still needs to be rounded off at the top to look nicer but is looking real smart so far, sooo pleased with the work he has done, and he just seems to know everything, and thinks of so many ideas to make it better, top guy !!

you can also see the reverse gear, as you can see it is SUPER light lol (looks more like an alloy wheel design lol) needs alot of machining to slide over diff and needs a block of steel welded to the back of it to create threaded holes to bolt to the diff. spacers will then be machined, allowing the sprocket to be bolted on giving a good gap tollerance for the chain.

once the aluminium is finished being machined, it is being sent off to one of his mates to be anodised in red, plans are to have the mini anthracite with black arches and red frame. the diff will be spreyed athracite when the tig welds have been smoothed.

the whole thing should start to look really nice soon as the machining is coming to an end and the tidy up process begins. and the whole setup should hopefully be really strong and very light.

Attached File  IMG_0758_2_.jpg   36.7K   50 downloads Attached File  IMG_0761_2_.jpg   42.2K   59 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0755_2_.jpg   45.08K   43 downloads Attached File  IMG_0765_2_.jpg   44.68K   72 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0763_2_.jpg   39.23K   68 downloads

Edited by Sean12, 07 December 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#52 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Diff setup looks great Sean, I am not at that stage yet, looking forward to it though. Keep up the good work.

#53 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

cheers mate, yeah really pleased with it so far, just love the fact its different and one off and not just your usual zcars install, amazing piece of kit i must say but i like the challenge to do it myself. im really interested to watch yours progress, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together, will be great to see how it turns out !!

holding off on the machining of the aluminium for a few days because as i am now going for inboard brakes, tryin to source some callipers and sort out some brackets for the aluminium to bolt the calliper to, going to make the brake disks ourselves. No longer using bike callipers, Aparently there are some callipers from a lancia/fiat that have cable handbrake on that would be ideal, so going to look into that more.

Attached File  DSC00561.JPG   47.13K   56 downloads

also decided to make a front space frame to, purely because of handling ! needs to handle well or there is not point having this sort of performance if it cant go round a corner ! the front space frame will have an inboard suspension set up to, less unsprung mass and all that... . so turning into a fairly big project but cant wait !!

#54 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

That will be quite the job! Why bother with the Lancia calipers? I think it is not to hard and expensive to fabricate a hydrolic handbrake?

#55 bikem1ke

bikem1ke

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Because if you get a leak in a hydraulic system that leaves your car rolling down the road. Or leaving you with no brakes. The mechanical backup system which is required by law is there for good reason.

#56 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:28 AM

beat me to it mike :thumbsup: yeah hydraulic hand brakes is a big no no, ive heard of people desguising one to look like a mechanical handbrake and if the MOT guy is completely clueless it may get through, but i doubt very much it will pass the scruitineering of the IVA lot. but like mike said, its the law and would be crazy to go against it, personally id feel more comfortable knowing it was a mechanical handbrake anyway lol :)

#57 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

hey guys, hope you have had a good christmas !

picked up my diff the other day which has now been assembled temporarily. It now has the modified ring gear for the reverse attached and the CV's have arrived and are ready to be attached. the aluminium has nearly finished being machined now.

the diff has to be taken back soon so that the aluminium parts can be sent off to be anodised and the diff will be cleaned up properly and spreyed.

the ring gear has been machined so that the split sprocket can be bolted on an have good clearance.

also decided to now go outboard brakes as it is going to be a nightmare to sort out inboard, and will be easier and probably cheaper to go outboard.

piccys.....

Attached File  IMG_1964__2_.jpg   39.78K   93 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1966__2_.jpg   40.9K   62 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1965__2_.jpg   34.78K   40 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1970__2_.jpg   38.01K   69 downloads

#58 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

quick question, what brakes have people opted for up front ?

#59 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Any of you guys got any pictures of ur chain adjuster set ups? just tryin to think of a design an was just wondering what approaches everyone went for and your opinion on how well it works.

Edited by Sean12, 12 January 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#60 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

Sean, I am using the Metro Vented turbo 4 pod discs and calipers in front. There are probably alternatives which are much better, but these are good value for money imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users