#332 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

Don’t know what I’m more jealous of, the car or the units! Awesome

Yes the units are nice, I now have too much room that I need to buy more tools to fill everything up :lol:

Going back to 13" tyres I'm liking the look of these, different compounds and in a 175/50x13.  They may be bringing out a wet weather tread in the same size

http://extreme-tyres...ja_VR2_ENG4.pdf

#333 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Hi,

Son and I just about to commence build of an asphalt/sealed surface rally car (as soon as we sell our 106 :D ). We likewise are thinking 13's due to lack of tyre choice in 10 & 12. 

What tyres are you thinking of and in what sizes? We have been looking at Kumho's which seem to be available in various compounds and in wets. 

Do like the look of those wheels, but obviously can not go wrong with Minilites, what minilites though as so many copies? My son has also been looking at some very sexy black wheels that he reckons are ok for motorsport, but as he is on holiday can not ask him the make at the minute.

I did start a thread on the Motorsport forum asking about wheels/ tyres/ brakes, but think that because I suggested 13's that put most people off from replying :D. Having done a number of single venues in the last 18 months or so in the 106, one thing I have learned is that tyres are critical.

I will continue to follow your thread with interest. 

Cheers!

Dave

Hey Dave

Size of tyres I was thinking 185/60x13 or 180/530x13

As for the tyres I'm looking at the, Kumho Ecsta C03 Tyre (medium compound) or Nankang AR-1 Tyre for the dry conditions. And wet conditions Kumho Ecsta C03 Tyre in a soft/super soft but the tread cut or the yoko A021-R as that's listed for wet weather. Kumho do have an actual wet tyre but I cant see it in 13". 

I have emailed a few places for recommendations on tyres, so once I hear back I will let you know.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Son has found a wet Kumho in a 13 on Rallynuts.com. Might be a bit wide though as in 200 width. You can though as you suggest get the dry tyres cut, which is what our Pug motorsport garage suggested.

One question now. Where are you going to put your spare wheel? Not in the boot with your current tank! We have just been looking at our shell and we have a flat boot floor and boxed turrets for coilovers. Not got a 13" wheel yet so tried a 14 from the Pug. Looks like it will have to go central, which then means we need a very tall narrow tank? Any ideas?

#334 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Hi,

Son and I just about to commence build of an asphalt/sealed surface rally car (as soon as we sell our 106 :D ). We likewise are thinking 13's due to lack of tyre choice in 10 & 12. 

What tyres are you thinking of and in what sizes? We have been looking at Kumho's which seem to be available in various compounds and in wets. 

Do like the look of those wheels, but obviously can not go wrong with Minilites, what minilites though as so many copies? My son has also been looking at some very sexy black wheels that he reckons are ok for motorsport, but as he is on holiday can not ask him the make at the minute.

I did start a thread on the Motorsport forum asking about wheels/ tyres/ brakes, but think that because I suggested 13's that put most people off from replying :D. Having done a number of single venues in the last 18 months or so in the 106, one thing I have learned is that tyres are critical.

Cheers!

Dave

Hey Dave

As for the tyres I'm looking at the, Kumho Ecsta C03 Tyre (medium compound) or Nankang AR-1 Tyre for the dry conditions. And wet conditions Kumho Ecsta C03 Tyre in a soft/super soft but the tread cut or the yoko A021-R as that's listed for wet weather. Kumho do have an actual wet tyre but I cant see it in 13". 

I have emailed a few places for recommendations on tyres, so once I hear back I will let you know.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Son has found a wet Kumho in a 13 on Rallynuts.com. Might be a bit wide though as in 200 width. You can though as you suggest get the dry tyres cut, which is what our Pug motorsport garage suggested.

One question now. Where are you going to put your spare wheel? Not in the boot with your current tank! We have just been looking at our shell and we have a flat boot floor and boxed turrets for coilovers. Not got a 13" wheel yet so tried a 14 from the Pug. Looks like it will have to go central, which then means we need a very tall narrow tank? Any ideas?

#335 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Cheers!

Dave

Hey Dave

Cheers

Kevin

Hi DEPS

No idea on the spare, I know I can fit in a 10" in the boot.  When I fitted the tank, I moved it over to the L/h side, so it is possible to fit a 10" over to r/h side above the battery box.....but I don't know about a 13"

I mean the overall dia of the 10" is 495 and this VR2 tyre is 505 overall dia....so it may fit?

#336 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

Hi guys

Well the spare wheel fits

F61CAFF5-2F37-41D5-AABC-488752A01F83_zps

FD095827-744A-46C6-BC0E-79D1C715D4EB_zps

Happy days

#337 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hi,

Good news!

What size wheel is that? 

I am presuming that the tyre is lying against the rear bulkhead and the tank and then the strap is attached in various places just to stop it rattling about?

Also what tank is that and what capacity please? May be copying you :D

#338 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

Good news!

What size wheel is that? 

I am presuming that the tyre is lying against the rear bulkhead and the tank and then the strap is attached in various places just to stop it rattling about?

So the tyre is a 165/70x10 and yes it sits against the tank and inner wheel arch, with a TRS spare wheel strap.

The fuel tank is 7 gallon.

cheers

#339 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hi,

Good news!

What size wheel is that? 

So the tyre is a 165/70x10 and yes it sits against the tank and inner wheel arch, with a TRS spare wheel strap.

cheers

So if you have a puncture you are going to replace a 13 inch wheel with the 10 inch then? So where are you going to put the 13 inch when you take it off? 

My issue is that we are looking to put bigger brakes on as well which will need a 13 to clear the calipers, so the spare also needs to be a 13 although it could be say on a 5" rather than 7" diameter.  

#340 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hi,

Good news!

What size wheel is that? 

cheers

So if you have a puncture you are going to replace a 13 inch wheel with the 10 inch then? So where are you going to put the 13 inch when you take it off? 

My issue is that we are looking to put bigger brakes on as well which will need a 13 to clear the calipers, so the spare also needs to be a 13 although it could be say on a 5" rather than 7" diameter.  

For now I'm sticking with 10" wheels, as my funds cannot stretch that far this year to change to 13" wheels. 

So at the moment I don't know about how and if a 13" would fit in this same space!

I may just order 1 wheel and tyre and check it all for size in the boot.

cheers

#341 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

Here you go guys, the chaps from special stage are going to be live from the Jersey Rally this year via their Facebook page ?

https://www.facebook...87460798739417/

#342 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Excellent!

#343 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

Not sure if you'd be interested, and apologies for cluttering your thread, but spotted these on Facebook and remembered you'd toyed with the idea of 13's, and I think Alleycats look mint on a mini.......plus they've got half decent tyres on......

BAvDJdMm.png

Edited by rally1380, 12 September 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#344 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

13X8's?? You'll need muscles like Superman....!!  :proud:

#345 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

So with the 2018 Jersey Rally fast approaching, things have been happening on the mini.

A couple of things I had noticed, the battery (red top 25) was going flat despite on a trickle charger, so I pulled my seat out removed the alloy battery holder and the battery was totally bloated and leaking!!! I don't think this was going on for too long, but it had made a mess of my rear brake line etc.

So I have replaced the battery and also fitted new Hel performance black carbon brake lines, so I just need to re-bleed the brakes.

13B3D5F8-522D-4AFF-B1B1-C3C2E0812D41_zps

FF7D1F7E-EAA6-46E4-8A69-AF8189059336_zps

6E542FB6-074B-4D90-BBE6-6D5BA9EBD2FB_zps

http://i164.photobuc...zps4jmozwzj.jpg

http://i164.photobuc...zps6pfkmqli.png

Another issue was with my Grp A mini sport tie roads, when I was replacing my lower arm rose joint, I noticed that I had play in the tie rod area which bolts to the front subframe (even though the bolt was 100% tight) I could grab the rose jointed end and could wiggle it, not good. At first I thought that maybe the bolt had bottomed out so I inserted two washers, but still the same. So what it seems to be, is the large stepped washer which is inserted and sits in the subframe is too wide and once tightened its not clamping on the subframe, but the face of the washer and the head of the tie rod are making contact first. So I'm having these washers slightly machined down.

A new WiredByWilson headlight loom has also been fitted, as the one fitted was messed up by the body shop, David was more than happy to make some adjustments to suit my needs, and its an awesome bit of kit, which each headlight fused and relays.

0E6EFAB8-2586-4C33-B1E0-1A6C8DD56322_zps

09F2F118-F5CD-4690-BCC9-9EA4888A21DB_zps

And in other news, there is another classic mini taken part in this years rally :) pretty sure its this one, it last did the Jersey rally in 2006

https://www.bonhams..../15345/lot/774/

Cheers

Kevin

Edited by warning634, 19 September 2018 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users