#346 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

Saw you the other night on Special Stage on YouTube. Looked good! Shame there wasn't more footage.

13X8's?? You'll need muscles like Superman....!!  :proud:

The car we are about to re-build had 13 x 8s originally. We are not sure whether we will go with 13 x 8 or 13 x 7, but will probably use something unmentionable on this site to help the arms :shy:

#347 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hello all

So I'm going to be pulling the motor out of the rally car, I think the gearbox could do with a freshen up.  Thinking about a new MED dog engagement gear set, pinion support and a windage tray. Will be send this over to Chris @ Crafted Classic Tuning for him to work his magic.

I also need to look over the brakes as well, they just weren't as good as previous years....the only thing I changed was all of the hard brake lines to Hel Performance braided lines, is there some unwritten rule about how often you should secure braided lines to stop the line flexing, and would that give a spongy feel! 

Cheers

Kev

#348 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

every 100mm but even then they will feel more spongey than hard lined.  even with 100mm spacing you need to lay it with care so that as pressure is applied they dont squirm much. what i will say is that with use the feel does get better as they do settle into their prefered position. so i would do nothing or go hardline again.

#349 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

every 100mm but even then they will feel more spongey than hard lined.  even with 100mm spacing you need to lay it with care so that as pressure is applied they dont squirm much. what i will say is that with use the feel does get better as they do settle into their prefered position. so i would do nothing or go hardline again.

cheers nick

I thought that may be the case, the line through the car to rear is rubber p clipped but not to that extent and is not evenly spaced and the front is worse, as this was fitted with the engine in place, so I can sort this out once I have removed the motor.  Thanks for that advice :genius:

#350 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

Box of goodies turned up from MED

IMG_20190308_174415_zps8ywablwp.jpg

IMG_20190308_174359_zpsbpatdjgr.jpg

IMG_20190308_174351_zpske15crz7.jpg

IMG_20190308_174326_zpszqrvwyp9.jpg

So time to pull the motor, split the gearbox and I may as well completely strip it down before I send it off.

I may do a few more improvements on the motor while it's out?

Keep you guys posted

Cheers kev

#351 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Lovely!

#352 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Cheers imack

It does look lovely ?

#353 InnoCOOPER

InnoCOOPER

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

Full on Kev ....  Hope to get back over to Jersey in the Mini in the Summer.

#354 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

Interesting and informative thread. I just love the constant arrival of new parts......don't ever calculate the cost. Lol

I do like the idea of changing the bulkhead to create more space. Any extra would be helpful.

#355 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

What a ball ache.....

So I have been trying over the last week or so to remove the bloody flywheel, I ordered one of the heavy duty pullers from GuessWorks.

Bolted it all on, broke out the 1/2 knuckle bar (with an extension) with a friend holding onto the motor we cranked things up, then hammered it and we repeated this, until we could not hold the engine still!!.  Then we had a pop, checked it still solid.....but it had ripped out one of the three threads that bolt the puller to the flywheel... 

So for now its all going back in as is, then after my event in June pull the motor and send it away to be fixed and the gearbox rebuilt.....and a new flywheel and fingers crossed that the crank taper is fine.

#356 imaparana

imaparana

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

What a ball ache.....

So I have been trying over the last week or so to remove the bloody flywheel, I ordered one of the heavy duty pullers from GuessWorks.

Bolted it all on, broke out the 1/2 knuckle bar (with an extension) with a friend holding onto the motor we cranked things up, then hammered it and we repeated this, until we could not hold the engine still!!.  Then we had a pop, checked it still solid.....but it had ripped out one of the three threads that bolt the puller to the flywheel... 

So for now its all going back in as is, then after my event in June pull the motor and send it away to be fixed and the gearbox rebuilt.....and a new flywheel and fingers crossed that the crank taper is fine.

That sucks kev! if you need a hand with anything im just up the road!

#357 InnoCOOPER

InnoCOOPER

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Kev

I have found that sometimes leaving the puller on overnight done up and then give it a tap in the morning does the trick..

What a ball ache.....

#358 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

So with IMM 2019 fast approaching and my motor is currently in bits @craftedclassic.

Okay so sent out my entire engine, as I had no way in removing the flywheel, the engine took about a week to be delivered but it arrived with Chris on 3rd July.

It took some work, but he managed to remove the flywheel (which is scrap) and the crank was not looking too pretty, with some fretting and the flywheel pulled a small chunk off the taper!  But due to time constraints and costs of a billet crank, we decided to clean the taper up and replace the flywheel assembly. 

So parts sent to MED to be matched and balanced to the new flywheel, but in inspection the back plate is bent/twisted, so along with a new flywheel, paddle clutch, back plate and my grey cover.  in the meantime Chris pulls apart the box to install the MED dogbox and pinion support.  I also ask him to replace the headbolts with ARP, as the ones fitted are minispares (which are okay) and fit a new multi layer gasket, good thing he did as the block and head were close to blowing through!!!!  As well as that my roller rocker gear has seen better days and will be replaced at a later date.

With putting the bell housing back on etc and checking the end float.....hmmmmmm twice the maximum tolerance :ohno: of end float.. the thrust washers looked okay on inspection...so he is now pulling all back apart to replace the thrust washers.

So I'm hoping that all goes well and that I get the engine back in time so I can bring it along to IMM, otherwise I will be turning up in a Bini :lol:

Oh and I also had my split 45 webers fully reconditioned and they look amazing. 

Cheers

Kev

#359 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine, Kev ? I still haven't got my engine and need it on the road by this weekend!

#360 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

Okay so things are looking up. The engine was picked up yesterday by the hauliers so that should be with me in about 5 days, which gives me plenty of time reinstall the motor and set things up and test before IMM. Secondly I can't thank Chris from crafted classic tuning for helping me out and putting in the hours on my motor.

So here are a few pictures from the build.

FB_IMG_1563869588249_zpst58nkwag.jpg

FB_IMG_1563869592760_zps338tmzxl.jpg

FB_IMG_1563870116309_zps5jcqyuyq.jpg

FB_IMG_1563870105757_zps5hyjyfeq.jpg

FB_IMG_1563870086484_zpssauedvvs.jpg

IMG_20190722_183912_zpsca3uig3w.jpg

IMG_20190722_183948_zpsobp9v9fw.jpg

Edited by warning634, 23 July 2019 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users