cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hi Guys

Urm this will probably be bit of a hard one to ask of you..but can you give me a rough idea of what a straight cut gearbox sounds like, and of course drop gears sound like please

Would appreciate it

Thanks

Daniel

#2 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

I would say a cross between a big bee and the radio interference you get from not having suppresion for your radio :)

However, if that sounds bad :D then don't worry as plenty of people do like them, me included :)

Regards Martin

#3 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

they sound like this . . .

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, weeee weee weee wow wow wow, clunk clunk clunk waaahhhhhhhh, we, we, we, weeeee brrrrreeeeeeeee wahhhhhh we we we :D

heres my mates mini

cheers

#4 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

Heres straight cut close ratio, not sure if the close ratio 'adds' to the sound, the tech heads will let you know

Posted Image

#5 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

The ratio changes the pitch of the noise........

The actual noise is caused by oil shear, which is oil under extreme high pressure escaping under extreme high speed. The noise is the oil breaking the sound barrier :D

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

It sounds much like first and reverse gear, but with more volume

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

The actual noise is caused by oil shear, which is oil under extreme high pressure escaping under extreme high speed. The noise is the oil breaking the sound barrier :)

Im not so sure that is the case as straight cut gearing systems that rely on grease, make much the same noise. Take for instance a high end electric raidio controlled car :D

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi..This is what a just a set of s/c drop gears only sound like as I fitted them to my 1380.........

..................... :D

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

So...

does oil not escape from between helical gears under extreme high pressure??

#10 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

well yes but its the way the cogs on a sc/cr gears are cut so when they mesh together that squeezes out the oil @ extreme high pressure...........helis are cut different.......... :D

#11 pepper20

pepper20

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

It sounds much like first and reverse gear, but with more volume

i believe all cars have a straight cut reverse gear. so jus go to an empty carpark n floor it in reverse (only were its safe tho!!)
might be wrong about this

#12 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

Mk1leg, what brakes are you running?

Pepper20: yes minis run on a straight cut first gear, which in turn reverse uses as a crash gear, of course they sound different to Drop gears as they are not immersed in oil, the drops tend to be more severe and chatter, they also do that thing when you come off the throttle...Waaaaaaaaaa.wwaa..waaa.waaaa.wwaaaa.wwooouuuuuu......throttle....wwww
oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww :D :) :)

#13 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

I have straight cut drop gears on my 1293 mini, i think and occasionally get told that it sounds like a motorbike, i love the noise, especially at over 6k, things can get a bit loud and annoying on the motorway though, i use ear protectors, lol

how far away is lordswood from ashford, ill come and find you, well after the minis been to the doctor for a new wing, so you can hear for yourself.

Edited by samsernie, 10 January 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#14 foxfan

foxfan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

The actual noise is caused by oil shear, which is oil under extreme high pressure escaping under extreme high speed. The noise is the oil breaking the sound barrier :D

I have wanted a straight cut box since i first learned about them in the eighties. I know they have benefits bit didn't know about the noise being the oil breaking the sound barrier. wow, ta mate

#15 ivanhoew

ivanhoew

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hello tmf,

Having just returned from ,cern, in switzerland ,after attending a conference studying sound and transmission sources and solutions in automotive applications ,i have a bit of an insight into the problem of gear noise propagation.
the scientifically verified cause of audable frequency emmision from non helical gear sets , is primarily the ejection of air from the machined faces meeting at high velocity .
the research to find a solution to this has centred around frequency management ,in particular ,changing the frequency from one audable to humans ,to one out of the normal range .
surface treatment of the gear faces to create an occilating contact space has worked in laboratories but has yet to be utilised in general design ,and exciting progress in frequency management through the coating of gears has also born fruit , in the use of colour coating that modify the gear hertz in accordance with the reflective frequency of the colour used, after extensive experimentation.
specifically and most effectively ,painting the driven gears red ,and the drive gears green ,has raised the frequency to inaudable to humans and barely audable to dogs although some dogs do find the sound produced somewhat exciting ..this produced an unfortunate side effect in the test vehicle ,but im certain this can be ironed out ,and did result in the vehicle aquiring a very clean exhaust pipe .
research is continuing into the use of alternate shades ,and we have high hope for a combination of tope and vanilla.

regards
yuri.k hunt
cern research
oxford
uk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users