#61 tadleysimon

tadleysimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

Like i say im sorry if i affended anyone or insulted anyone or gave out danerous advice ,i think when its styling topic there will always be a certain amount of clashing ,thats what makes it fun ,by the way i think the green roofed mini looks cool and didnt mean to insult you or your car ,love all minis ,just like to see people doing differant things to minis away from the norm .

I cannot count the times since you joined this forum you have posted the words "sorry if i affended" after arguing with people who acttuly know what there talking about.

Just sit down and carry on reading a redline and fast car mag's and think you are the "GOD" of all car knolage like you do. but when some one ask for advice dont bother giving it.

Aragant people like you who anoy me . Just what i think and dont care if it offends you.(even if admin tells me off for speaking my mind - the swearing i would normaly think) even if you apollogies to people dosent make up for how much crap you chat that people could actuly take seriously endangering them selves.

I meet far to many people like you, I try to stay away and direct people away from there advice. But when you are clearly wrong and like five people are telling you this you should back down and acept you are wrong.

now thats just plain rude. there no need to be like that, i thought this was a friendly forum.

#62 coedy

coedy

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

The guy with the white car in the OP doesn't need daft antics to get the car to look any better it looks fantastic as it is!

I always thought that tyre stretch was dodgy and unsafe and now thanks to everyone here I know so... there should really be some sort of check that goes on to get the cars with unsafe footprints off the road!

I don't even think they look good personally... don't get me wrong, I see WHY you would want to do it (to squeeze the tread pattern under the arch when having wider alloys to keep the car legal)... But. whenever I see a car with tyre stretch I think to myself
"wow. all that money on those amazing rims.. and no cash left over for the right sized tyre..."

Good to see its not just me that shudders at the thought of what could happen. :thumbsup:

#63 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

I love my 145's on bog standard steelies with a sniff of - camber!

^_^

I agree the white mini in question looks cool as is.

:sneaky:

#64 dubmini

dubmini

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

Came back to this post this mornin and was like 'wow' 5 pages long on my first post lol.

Thanks to all the guys complementing my mini by the way, a lot of work and money has went in over the past 3 years.java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_8")

As someone had said about minis kinda mostly being styled the same that was where the hole cambered and stretched idea had came from -something different.

Although i'm glad i did ask on here before i went ahead with it as i had no idea stretched tyres etc were in anyway as dangerous. You can see how some of us younger people think this reading through Perfomance VW mags regularly etc and seeing shows where hundreds of dubs seem to be running stretch.

So i will have to rethink my future plans for the summer.java script:add_smilie("^_^","smid_11")

As for the people who recommended the stretch/camber look, i can't modify my pride and joy in anyway that would risk its safety on the road- if i was to crash it my life would be over :sneaky: :dontgetit: lol

Cheers for all the help guys and an 'interesting' discussion

#65 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

May I suggest certain individuals who have posted in this thread go back and re-read the forum guidlines.
They are there for a reason!
thanks!

#66 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

formula 1 cars run camber so dunno how you think it would hamper handling ?

not joining the argument but f1 cars run more as they go faster and will lean on to the tyre more with the massive grip/ g force and speed they acheive. camber is all about getting the tyre as flat/ as much of it on the road as possible to maximise grip, so with extreme camber on a road car you just wont reach the cornering speeds 99% of the time for it to have any effect hence why 1.5 is about all you need on a road car.
for example if i was going 30mpg down a road with massive camber and turned a slight bend it wouldnt lean onto the tyre at all and probably still be running on the inside edje as the forces aint there hence not using your tyre, wheras if your racing round a track around bends at full wack, right on the limit, lets just say 80 for example round a swooping bend you going to lean onto the tyre more and create more grip hence why a race car has more camber...

you get me or not?

basically a road car just cant use big camber effectively most if the time.

an F1 car can in no way be compared to a road going mini!

hope that helps and hasnt just confused you

Thats a verry good explanation, I understood it before but that makes abit more of a picture in my head of it I like it.

glad to help ^_^

#67 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Are we not allowed then to disagree ? I think im right ?

#68 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

i've been building modified cars for a while now and a good way to tell if a mod is dangerous if to call your insurance company and ask how much the mod will cost, to run streched tyres on my golf would of cost me an extra £500 a year just for tyres and im 26 with full no claims and if you don't delclair them your insurance certificate is only good for toilet paper so it depends how much you want the look personally i've seen what bad tyre choice can do so if you love your mini i wouldn't take trhe risk.

Edited by 1293sleeper, 27 January 2010 - 07:18 PM.

#69 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I hear what your saying but small stretch aint ganna make you insurance invalid ? i gat a 323 mm stretch .Im not talking about a massive stretch ? Im sorry i think your wrong .

#70 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

any wrong fitted tyre should be delaired as with any mod anything over half inch would be delclaired as this i worked as a tyre fitter for 2 years and a mechanic for 3 and delt with alot of insurance work while i was there and they will look for any reason not to pay out if you have a accident as paying out cut into there profits. I'm not saying this to argue with you its just my experience.

#71 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

so 323 mm is ok ,and still the tyre is stretched ? :(

#72 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

323 millimetres = 12.7165354 inches im pretty sure you don't have that much stretch.
if you mean 32.3 millimetres = 1.27165354 inches and should still be declaired.
12.7 millimetres is the most i would fit for a customer and not class a a mod.

Ps i was also a vduber till resently and would have this arguement all the time most people i know that use these tyres only have them on show wheels.

Edited by 1293sleeper, 27 January 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#73 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

please can someone tell me how a F1 car can compare to a mini??? A mini doesnt go round corners at over 100mph? Sorry that bits got me confused, i just dont see how you can compare an F1 car to a mini,

stretched tyres are dangerous

dont mess with suspension geometry unless you actually (not think) understand it

all i can say is someone needs to stop reading those bolt on bandit magazines

enough said

Edited by samsernie, 27 January 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#74 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Is this thread really still going? :(

Stretched tyres are dangerous. Here endeth the lesson.

#75 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Is this thread really still going? :(

Stretched tyres are dangerous. Here endeth the lesson.

Peter, let it carry on - its hilarious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users