87 replies to this topic

#46 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hang on you said i was gay for having stretch and camber ? ,i did say i was sorry it came out wrong ,massive camber yes but were only talking 1.5 degrees ? formula 1 cars run camber so dunno how you think it would hamper handling ? and im not running massive stretch either ? im running 7.677inches on a 8 inch rim ? granted mine is a tad low but it looks good ,so im willing to have that little bit of hastle .

#47 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

yeah but having skinny tyres has less contact patch than a cambered 8''? and the wall will flex for if yourrunning 10's or 12's? and that rubs on the floor?

not sure what u meant by the last bit of that sentence sorry... it rubs on the floor? :S maybe its just me tho lol

but yeah your right saying about the stretched 8's but again its hardly in the construction of the tyre to do that

#48 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Robbie 1, please stop giving advice that is both irresposible and technically questionable in quite such a blase manner.

As I understand it, German law requires all tyres to be fitted with a safety bead and as such almost all rims offered for sale in Germany or mainly aimed at German cars have such a bead built in. This is why such wheels can develop more stretch. Rims offered in Mini sizes and fitment rarely have this bead, it is something that some of our Germany based members have trouble with. UK tyre fitters are not required to use a safety bead and frankly I doubt they could get hold of anything that would do the job. Obscenely stretched tyres are not safe.

#49 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

also back iin yonder year when low profile tyres didnt exsist F1 cars used Stupid streched rubber to achieve the same effect and be it the rubber they used then might as well have been old shoe soles

Edited by Jackhammer, 26 January 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#50 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hang on you said i was gay for having stretch and camber ? ,i did say i was sorry it came out wrong ,massive camber yes but were only talking 1.5 degrees ? formula 1 cars run camber so dunno how you think it would hamper handling ? and im not running massive stretch either ? im running 7.677inches on a 8 inch rim ? granted mine is a tad low but it looks good ,so im willing to have that little bit of hastle .

i was saying trailer queens are gay :( guess some people dont understand what i meant by that, must be a bit of a private joke. :thumbsup:
wasnt knocking camber either, 1.5 is about right, but again its best to have it set rather than off the shelf 1.5 degrease arms, its not always right when a minis shell isnt always square to start with...also seen else where some people running what im sure alot of people would class as stupid camber too

#51 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

What part of running a 195 on a 8inch rim is dangerous ? 7.677 inches ???

#52 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

F1 cars used Stupid streched rubber to achieve the same effect

Rubber which was designed and built to be used in that shape. How can either of you you possibly compare an F1 car to Mini suspension? There is a lot more to how a car behaves than what it looks like chaps and more often than not a car that looks good sitting still is best left in exactly that state.

#53 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

ok ,im sorry if i have affended anyone or given advice which is dangerous .

#54 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

There is a lot more to how a car behaves than what it looks like chaps and more often than not a car that looks good sitting still is best left in exactly that state.

then life becomes boring the way to think is a car just transport to some people its a way of life. im not syaing streaching rubber is a good thing but a little streach is going to hurt anyone.

why leave things the way they should be when you can tinker with them :thumbsup:

#55 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

Can I just point out, the width of a wheel is measured between the inner edge of the rim.
Posted Image

The extreme type of stretch used on some euro look cars like this Jetta, is quite obviously unsafe and should only be used for show use if you so wish, anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads looking at. I personally think it can look great on the right car, by the right car, I mean not a mini!

Posted Image

#56 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

Like i say im sorry if i affended anyone or insulted anyone or gave out danerous advice ,i think when its styling topic there will always be a certain amount of clashing ,thats what makes it fun ,by the way i think the green roofed mini looks cool and didnt mean to insult you or your car ,love all minis ,just like to see people doing differant things to minis away from the norm .

#57 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

then life becomes boring the way to think is a car just transport to some people its a way of life

Unfortunately driving a badly setup car can be quite the opposite. Life becomes very, very exciting very, very quickly. Just not for very much longer.

#58 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

formula 1 cars run camber so dunno how you think it would hamper handling ?

not joining the argument but f1 cars run more as they go faster and will lean on to the tyre more with the massive grip/ g force and speed they acheive. camber is all about getting the tyre as flat/ as much of it on the road as possible to maximise grip, so with extreme camber on a road car you just wont reach the cornering speeds 99% of the time for it to have any effect hence why 1.5 is about all you need on a road car.
for example if i was going 30mpg down a road with massive camber and turned a slight bend it wouldnt lean onto the tyre at all and probably still be running on the inside edje as the forces aint there hence not using your tyre, wheras if your racing round a track around bends at full wack, right on the limit, lets just say 80 for example round a swooping bend you going to lean onto the tyre more and create more grip hence why a race car has more camber...

you get me or not?

basically a road car just cant use big camber effectively most if the time.

an F1 car can in no way be compared to a road going mini!

hope that helps and hasnt just confused you

Edited by rick.spi, 26 January 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#59 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

Like i say im sorry if i affended anyone or insulted anyone or gave out danerous advice ,i think when its styling topic there will always be a certain amount of clashing ,thats what makes it fun ,by the way i think the green roofed mini looks cool and didnt mean to insult you or your car ,love all minis ,just like to see people doing differant things to minis away from the norm .

I cannot count the times since you joined this forum you have posted the words "sorry if i affended" after arguing with people who acttuly know what there talking about.

Just sit down and carry on reading a redline and fast car mag's and think you are the "GOD" of all car knolage like you do. but when some one ask for advice dont bother giving it.

Aragant people like you who anoy me . Just what i think and dont care if it offends you.(even if admin tells me off for speaking my mind - the swearing i would normaly think) even if you apollogies to people dosent make up for how much crap you chat that people could actuly take seriously endangering them selves.

I meet far to many people like you, I try to stay away and direct people away from there advice. But when you are clearly wrong and like five people are telling you this you should back down and acept you are wrong.

Appologies to the Origonal Poster for arguing in there thread, hope you may have found what info you are looking for and dont get the wrong impresstion of this forum and any of its other more knolage able users.

#60 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

formula 1 cars run camber so dunno how you think it would hamper handling ?

not joining the argument but f1 cars run more as they go faster and will lean on to the tyre more with the massive grip/ g force and speed they acheive. camber is all about getting the tyre as flat/ as much of it on the road as possible to maximise grip, so with extreme camber on a road car you just wont reach the cornering speeds 99% of the time for it to have any effect hence why 1.5 is about all you need on a road car.
for example if i was going 30mpg down a road with massive camber and turned a slight bend it wouldnt lean onto the tyre at all and probably still be running on the inside edje as the forces aint there hence not using your tyre, wheras if your racing round a track around bends at full wack, right on the limit, lets just say 80 for example round a swooping bend you going to lean onto the tyre more and create more grip hence why a race car has more camber...

you get me or not?

basically a road car just cant use big camber effectively most if the time.

an F1 car can in no way be compared to a road going mini!

hope that helps and hasnt just confused you

Thats a verry good explanation, I understood it before but that makes abit more of a picture in my head of it I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users