#16 BoboGib

BoboGib

RoboGimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Plus there is always the fact with big wide wheels you are putting extra strain on the suspension components and will find the service life of wheel bearings and ball joints will be shorter.

#17 Rustic's missus

Rustic's missus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

10's are the way forward! I have 13's on at the moment with low profile tyres and they car hits potholes and bumps with such a crash! The 10's on my fiances car gives a much easier ride, more rubber, more fun! I have had many probllems with my 13's because they take such a beating from the road, the mini can handle the bigger setup! I have a 1999 sportspack and im about to put my 10x6 GB wheels on, gonna look retro! ahh yeeehhh!

#18 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

well i went ahead an got some fiesta callipers reconditioned and 7.9 disks so now im on the road to 10s thanks guys

#19 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

just remember there are certain 10" wheels that wont fit on the fezzy conversion

#20 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

No no no! 13" FTW, ive had both and 13's handle better hands down, (with the right suspension setup) yeah you got through wheel bearings like crazy but its soooo worth it! Big shiney deep dish bad boys all the way!

#21 Danuneek

Danuneek

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

No no no! 13" FTW, ive had both and 13's handle better hands down, (with the right suspension setup) yeah you got through wheel bearings like crazy but its soooo worth it! Big shiney deep dish bad boys all the way!

>_<

#22 Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

taught his mini only to kill those who deserve it....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

You shouldn't be going through bearings if you have the proper ones! 13's will give better gas mileage as well. I'm pro 13's! I've got 10's on my Mini right now but I personally like how 13's look much better.

#23 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

minis might have been designed for 10 inch wheels but they were also only designed as car for women to get to the shops and back.

#24 MarcRosenberg

MarcRosenberg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:41 AM

As far as handling goes you always want to run as small a wheel as possible. The smaller the wheel the less unsprung weight, which helps handling and acceleration and braking. When going for Maximum performance always use the smallest wheel you can. Unless......You run a bigger, lightweight wheel that weighs just as little. The advantage to this is the decreased sidewall you need to make your wheel/tire package have the same rolling diameter. A shorter sidewall tire will deflect less in turns and feel alot more stable under heavy cornering. Remember, its not the diameter of your wheel that effects mechanical advantage for acceleration or gas milage, its the diameter of the whole wheel tire package. That being said, I like the looks of 10's more anyway.

#25 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Tell your friend that the mini was designed for 10" wheels, then lately upgraded to accept 12". Later upgrades were introduced to alowa 13" use, but they had problems with balljoints and bearings due the the extra weight and offset of the wheel.
By the way:
13" wheels have a too big contact section for the mini weight, thats not good! they're a hell to drive in the wet, bad handling compared to 10", less cornering angle (you'll notice that parking in the city), harsh ride due their little wall size, plus they weigh a ton.
7,5" cooper set up is good as the 8,4" disc setup (if not better when talking about brake fading..)

Edited by jaydee, 22 February 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#26 lowandslow

lowandslow

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: east coast mini club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

matt woods with his 300BHP turbo runs cooper s 7.5 discs and i can vouch that they are plenty enough >_<

#27 arnie

arnie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

what do people think for a clubman, ive currently got 10's on my clubby but ive just brought a brand new set of alloycat 13's. people say that bigger wheels look better on clubbys.

not sure which to go with now. the 10's are GB 5x10.

simon.

#28 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

im 80 / 20 now but i have made my choice 10 x 6 all the way with fiesta calipers, now then anyone know of any alloys that wont fit very well on that setup?

#29 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

well i love 13's and would never go for 10s out of choice, but everybodies different!

#30 lowandslow

lowandslow

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: east coast mini club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

im 80 / 20 now but i have made my choice 10 x 6 all the way with fiesta calipers, now then anyone know of any alloys that wont fit very well on that setup?

i don't think mambas will fit. but once you have fitted the brakes i'm sure there will be people local to you that are willing to trial fit one of their rims with you if you have an idea what you want.

Edited by lowandslow, 22 February 2010 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users