project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

*random* but i have 5x12's, nice and average and in between :thumbsup: lol,
i did consider some 10x6's but couldnt afford the conversion with the budget im on >_<

Edited by project mini chris, 22 February 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#32 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

Lol its funny how a topic like this comes around every few months and you get the usual nonsense that 13's handle like crap.

As we always say time after time if you take you car with bog standard suspension knackered dampers, cones that have been on there 20 years, and worn wheel bearings then just slap on a set of 13 inch wheels then it will handle like crap.

However if you do the job properly get a fully ajustable suspension front and rear, new dampers and cones and then get it setup properly, then 13's can handle just as well as 10's.

Only draw back is it cost more money >_<

#33 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Fully agree with stewart GT and for your setup trafficface i would go for a nice pair of 10x6 they look the 'dogs' XD deep dish all the way.

#34 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

yep >_<, did i mention that i am using the mini sport adjustaride kit. i probably did, so 10s on standard or 13s dont count.

oh ps i have some rare 12s that i suppose i will need to sell on my project page take a look. not that im advertising them yet but keep your eyes peeled on the classified section

#35 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

early mambas will not fit under anything except 7.5" and 7" setups

the newer mambas i believe fit under the fiesta conversion but a very tight fit

10" all the way, there all the rage with miglia minis dontchya know, and if there not quick then i dont know what is :D

#36 CaptainBland08

CaptainBland08

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

im running 13x7 and they are starting to get on my tits...

13's literally destroy compnents... steering rack wears quicker... wheel bearings go quicker... ruins track rod ends... destroys ball joints... and also... THEY FRICKIN EAT STUDS!!!

im going to tens ASAP>:lol:

also... running 13's, unless you change the speedo to a later cooper one then your going to be reading the wrong speed by about 5mph or so.

#37 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

10's all the way it is the best look nice and low and retro it the best look for a mini

#38 kgb

kgb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Right ive had a search but cant find anything, so im just gonna ask and hope somebodys answers, Will 10x5 wellers fit over 8.5 disks?

#39 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

10x6's i bloody love mine just gotta get hi-los for mine an it will looks dogs danglies :lol: personaly id never have 13's

#40 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Right ive had a search but cant find anything, so im just gonna ask and hope somebodys answers, Will 10x5 wellers fit over 8.5 disks?

If you mean 8.4" setup then no

i am not certian which, but the 10x5 or the 10x6 fit by using a 1" spacer, but i wouldnt recommend it due to the stress upon the wheel bearings etc

best bet is to fit minispares 7.5" brake kit thats found HERE

Edited by lewis, 23 February 2010 - 03:21 PM.

#41 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

im running 13x7 and they are starting to get on my tits...

13's literally destroy compnents... steering rack wears quicker... wheel bearings go quicker... ruins track rod ends... destroys ball joints... and also... THEY FRICKIN EAT STUDS!!!

im going to tens ASAP>:lol:

also... running 13's, unless you change the speedo to a later cooper one then your going to be reading the wrong speed by about 5mph or so.

Sadly if that is is the case then there is something seriously wrong with your setup. If its eating studs then you need to find out what the underlying cause is ASAP as that is a serious risk to you and other road users.

#42 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

I've had my 13's on for 2 years now and not had any problems with ball joints, wheel bearings or anything like that.

IMO 13s look best and although the ride is a little harsher (but who cares?) the grip and road holding was definatly improved over my old 12x6 wheels.

#43 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

considering variables: suspension, and tyre quality there cant be any debate. whoever has a well maintained mini will have good handling over all. regardless of wheel size. however the wider wheels can cause extra strain.

its all about the looks. and i love 10s low and wide.

the more modern styled minis would prefer 13s, and people with not a lot of money can keep there 12s until they can afford to decide. i say this last claim with experience as i haven't a lot of money.

thats how i see it now

cheers everyone :lol:

Edited by trafficface09, 23 February 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#44 lowandslow

lowandslow

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: east coast mini club

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

yes and no, they won't just bolt on. we had a clubby estate with 4 pot metro brakes under 10" wellers but it had mega spacers we are talking (from memory) about 1.5-2". plus i think the calipers had the very dodgy shaved job :lol: they were close but it did work. i must add i DIDN'T do the brakes they were on it when we got it.

#45 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

yes and no, they won't just bolt on. we had a clubby estate with 4 pot metro brakes under 10" wellers but it had mega spacers we are talking (from memory) about 1.5-2". plus i think the calipers had the very dodgy shaved job :) they were close but it did work. i must add i DIDN'T do the brakes they were on it when we got it.

im rebuilding mine at the moment, i have 10x6 wellers which fit over 8.4" setups providing you have no balancing weights on the inner face or a small spacer (about 3mm) if you do, heres some pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image

tom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users