49 replies to this topic

#31 Danny_California

Danny_California

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

Looks nice! They intrude on rear bottom space a bit though dont they? And I imagine anyont sitting there would end up with sore kidneys lol
Also just incase you didnt realize, your rear seat back is not bolted down in the boot :)

#32 jwb_moto

jwb_moto

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Local Club: PMOC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Looks ace mate, id thought of doing something along these lines after dannycalifornia make rear door cards with speakers in.

A small piece of advice which should help if your planning to make a run of these. Id personally use matting and resin across all your joints from the inside, it adds strength to the enclosure and is less likely to come away from the mdf. If you want a nice surface finish if people would like to paint them rather than using fibrefiller filler knock up a pot of what is known as "Milkshake mix"

Milkshake mix is a mixture of fine sane filler and fibreglass resin (50:50) to make it mix both parts together without the hardner and once throuoghly mixed add both amounts of hardner. this give a nice consistency that can be brushed over the surface which is harder that fine sand filler but will give you less lumps than fibre filler.

To measure the volume you could fill the enclosure with polostyrene balls and empty them into a bucket of a know size/volume. Id say the enclosure look better suited to a decent 10" or a very tight 12" sub as the box is quite small once you take the subs space out of the available volume space

keep up the good work mate

#33 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Cheers for the input mate. Where can i get polystyrene balls from though for cheap? Yeah, i wouldn't recommend anything larger than a 10" to be honest. It would be nigh on impossible to get the correct shape for the box and fit it into the bin.

If people did want them fillered and sanded down then the extra cost and effort would mean a higher price. Not to mention they've then got to get it sprayed

By the way, are you sure you didn't post on the wrong thread - this is the build thread, the other one is the sale thread?

#34 jwb_moto

jwb_moto

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Local Club: PMOC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone mate.

Look for a cheap bean bag theyre full of them.

#35 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

There is a Mini featured in this months MiniWorld (it'll be coming to shops soon) with twin subs in each side I think...

Looks cool :thumbsup:

#36 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hey carts60 how are the subs now you've broken them in? I ended up getting the same sub as you and I'm almost finished the sub box fiberglassing too. I'll add some pictures to my project page when it's all done so you can see mine.

#37 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hey carts60 how are the subs now you've broken them in? I ended up getting the same sub as you and I'm almost finished the sub box fiberglassing too. I'll add some pictures to my project page when it's all done so you can see mine.

The subs sound absolutely brilliant. They've turned out better than i ever expected.

Definitely put up the pictures when you're done. It'll be good to see how you've done it and what they look like in comparison. Maybe i can learn something for the summer when im going to make a few batches to sell on the forums - and maybe ebay. :D Cant wait....

#38 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hey carts here are a few pictures of by box build and the end product:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm fitting the sub in tonight and then I'll probably use one of those Maplin speaker covers.

#39 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

I've got the most space saving sub enclosure possible :- pictures later.

#40 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yeah man! Sweet as a nut.

#41 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

Looks good
Like the boot area looks very neat think will have to do something similar with mine
Did you just screw into the board provided with the kit to hold the amp up? as like how all the wiring is hidden away :D

#42 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

Hey greggy50 - who were you asking about the amp etc?

#43 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

Looking good!!

#44 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

wow that was a pretty good idea looks amazing!

i got a bit smarter when i first did mine

I used the 2 small subs in my rear self

and made the boot act as the box

sounded sweet till car had a full tank of petrol and stuff in the boot :shifty:

#45 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Looks good
Like the boot area looks very neat think will have to do something similar with mine
Did you just screw into the board provided with the kit to hold the amp up? as like how all the wiring is hidden away :thumbsup:

Yeah, just drilled a couple of holes into the back board so the wires could come through, then just screwed on the amp and put on the wire covers. Wires then go through the back bench to the speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users