#1 martin24

martin24

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi guys,

I have a rover mini italian job 1992, and i have a slight annoying problem with my front drivers side disc break, the metal cover that goes over the back of the disc break seems to be making a loud "clanging" noise as if its hitting another object thats of beat metal, im gonna have a look at it this weekend, but was wondering if there would be any advice you could give as to why its doing it...the strange thing is the nuts and bolts that hold it on and in place are tight?

Any help would be great

Regards

Martin

#2 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

1 of the tabs that are on the plate could be broken

#3 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

The mounts have probably snapped. Take it off - they don't do anything anyway!

#4 martin24

martin24

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Do you mean the tabs that connect the plate to the nuts and bolts that hold it on? As don't think there broken, though ill be able to have a better look when i get the wheel off.

It started making a noise back last month just now and then when the car was turning over but now its more obvious when im driving, etc. Its just annoying as its getting louder!!!

#5 martin24

martin24

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

What the plates? I thought of taking them off but wasn't sure if it was a good thing to do or not?

#6 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

They are pointless - remove them. Is the first thing i remove when i buy a mini.

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

As above, I always take them off

#8 martin24

martin24

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

Oh ok, ill have a go this weekend then and hopefuly the noise goes! lol

Cheers guys.

Martin

#9 Rick's Dad

Rick's Dad

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: Cheshire Lotus Owners Group

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

As with most things, they are there for a reason! They keep water from getting on the brake discs which, if you have ever ridden a bicycle through puddles, you will know affects the efficiency.
As long as you remember that if it is *peeing* down and you've not touched the brakes for a while, you might have to press a bit harder, initially. Classic place for this to happen is if you've been on the motorway in a downpour and fly up the slipway only to find that you are arriving at the back of the rather queue too quickly. Don't ask me how I know this!

#10 biggles1293

biggles1293

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

As with most things, they are there for a reason! They keep water from getting on the brake discs which, if you have ever ridden a bicycle through puddles, you will know affects the efficiency.
As long as you remember that if it is *peeing* down and you've not touched the brakes for a while, you might have to press a bit harder, initially. Classic place for this to happen is if you've been on the motorway in a downpour and fly up the slipway only to find that you are arriving at the back of the rather queue too quickly. Don't ask me how I know this!

They indeed are there for the specific job mentioned, but in all honesty were never that effective at it! I took mine off ages ago and have driven in torrential rain and have not noticed any adverse problems with braking performance - Obviously different people will have different experiences but also it will depend on what condition your braking components are in to start with.

#11 Jackamilf12

Jackamilf12

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

hi guys im having a similar problem.
i notice it on the way home the otherday.
im getting this noise from the front of the car, im sure its brakes(discs) tho i cant see anything wrong.
its almost like something is getting caught and grinding, quite hard to explain. at first i thought it was my wheels scraping or i got a flat.
but any suggestions would be a hugeeee help.
i have recently changed the rear shocks, doubt it would have much effect but thought i should say haha.

thanks
Jack

#12 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

yep take it off thats what i did
one of the tabs was broken so just removed it and hey presto no more rattling (from the brake area anyway) haha

#13 martin24

martin24

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know i have fixed the problem, which turned in to two problems funny enough!
Anyway what i did was take the front wheel off and had a look at the disc cover it was fine which was weird, but then i noticed that it was nocking on another area of the disc mount "like metal to metal noise" so i coated the area in grease and hey, no noise! then another appeared which was easily fixed, was my front bumper, vibrated lose!

So thanks for all your help on this guys.

To the guy who has the same problem, try what i did and have a look it might be the same thing?

Regards

Martin

#14 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

Yes, yuore right. The problem is that brackets break easily and dust shields are overpriced.
Thats why I'm used to throw them away when i get a mini..

#15 Jackamilf12

Jackamilf12

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know i have fixed the problem, which turned in to two problems funny enough!
Anyway what i did was take the front wheel off and had a look at the disc cover it was fine which was weird, but then i noticed that it was nocking on another area of the disc mount "like metal to metal noise" so i coated the area in grease and hey, no noise! then another appeared which was easily fixed, was my front bumper, vibrated lose!

So thanks for all your help on this guys.

To the guy who has the same problem, try what i did and have a look it might be the same thing?

Regards

Martin

hey thanks, i will try it. im going to get up extra early just to do it before i go to college haha.
do you know what two parts were knocking together? also did it effect your brakes at all, cause i noticed today that my car pulled to one side while making this noise even tho no brakes were applied:s mega weird.

i'll let you know how it goes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users