159 replies to this topic

#136 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

I had a 1380 with around 100hp in a mk3 Midas and have actually gone faster in my more or less standard Micra than I ever did in the Midas with a 3.1 diff.
Had I had the Micra engine in the Midas I have no doubt it would have been much faster!

#137 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

whats the difference between the cg13 and the k11? and which engine should i be looking for? finally what age did these engines come out of? nats? and do i go with the dizzy engine or non dizzy.

CG13 is the engine code and K11 is the model. Flying banana has the later coil-pack engine in his it's a 1.0L the 1350 coil-pack engine is pretty rare compared with the 1275 CG13, that's the one I'd go for, the 1275 one that is.

Edited by Artstu, 19 December 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#138 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

whats the difference between the cg13 and the k11? and which engine should i be looking for? finally what age did these engines come out of? nats? and do i go with the dizzy engine or non dizzy.

CG13 is the engine code and K11 is the model. Flying banana has the later coil-pack engine in his it's a 1.0L the 1350 coil-pack engine is pretty rare compared with the 1275 CG13, that's the one I'd go for, the 1275 one that is.

ok thanks . made my mind up to do it. i'm confusing myself looking at the amount of differences about. ive decided to buy a complete k11 1.3 micra pre nats and then just work with what ive got. big or small gearbox dizzy/coilpack etc everything seems possible. really dont want to cut crossmember so any cures for this would be appreciated. thanks again for information.

#139 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

I think a cut and shut on the inlet manifold is the way at the moment, retain the 2" or so at the head end with the injector bosses and then fit a banana type maniflold like some Honda's or perhaps the C16SE type off a Vauxhall engine......... or custom made

#140 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I think a cut and shut on the inlet manifold is the way at the moment, retain the 2" or so at the head end with the injector bosses and then fit a banana type maniflold like some Honda's or perhaps the C16SE type off a Vauxhall engine......... or custom made

ok thanks for tips. i better stert trawling the ads for a doner car then crack on.

#141 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Bluecycle is an option, but does require registering an account with them, I bought a Micra through them but I've seen other people aquire them even more cheaply than they seem to sell for on bluecycle.

https://www.bluecycle.com/index

#142 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

Bluecycle is an option, but does require registering an account with them, I bought a Micra through them but I've seen other people aquire them even more cheaply than they seem to sell for on bluecycle.

https://www.bluecycle.com/index

ive got access to bluecycle and copart but by the time you add the cost of transport into it, it mite be cheaper finding a tatty 1 local

#143 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Ian, I meant to ask ages ago. What's your insurance like?
I can understand if you dont want to hare the exact numbers, but say in terms of percentage increase compared with the a series?

#144 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Your tie rod bolt is on the wrong way round - the nut should be at the bottom.

#145 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image

Why?

#146 minichick

minichick

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Around Dereham

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Why?

Its a safety thing. If the nut were to come loose and it was at the bottom the bolt would stay in, but the other way round the bolt would simply drop out while the car was being driven about.

#147 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image

Why?

Its a safety thing. If the nut were to come loose and it was at the bottom the bolt would stay in, but the other way round the bolt would simply drop out while the car was being driven about.

bit the bullet and bought a 1993 1.3slx micra cat c right off today! no turning back now!!!!! no doubt loads of questions to follow.

#148 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

Good stuff, another. Hope you've got a heated workshop at this time of year!

Be sure to start a thread and get up some pics of the micra. Best of luck mate.

#149 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

Good stuff, another. Hope you've got a heated workshop at this time of year!

Be sure to start a thread and get up some pics of the micra. Best of luck mate.

minis getting painted now stripping micra over xmas i'll start at thread as soon as possible. Whats the easiest way to upload pics? gonna get micra running then get it running on ians wiring before i remove it from car so i know i have that bit right! still undecided on how to do inlet! not gonna cut bulkhead. the last transplant i did (2.0 zetec into spitfie) i ran twin 40's and ford ignition. this time i'm torn between modifing the fuel injection or bike carbs. whatevers easiest and neatest i suppose. all advice greatly recieved. also some conversions have the alternator at the front, any benefits?

#150 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

Hardest part about using the bike carbs is getting them broberly balanced. you can build a custom manifold and bolt a single carb onto it(I have) or do the fuel injection. Your choice. But if you want to get the maximum efficency out of this engine, you're better off injected. Ive driven both injected and carbureted micra/minis and i think the injected works best. Going carb gets rid of some of the wiring (ECU,harness, sensors etc) but it does involve some machining work. So your choice! Either way, you're gonna enjoy it! :xmas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users