E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

sorry i didnt read the post as im in a rush, just looked at the pictures, but
how are you planning on getting the drive to the wheels?
or is the nissan thats out of exactly the same as the mini - transverse engine and front wheel drive.

sorry for my ignorance
good luck
if you do this well it should be the nads!! cant wait to see.
oh and will this be road car?
thanks

Edited by E-Tizzle, 25 June 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#18 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

hey guys,

so over the last couple of days i have managed to get the gear linkage done (still can't quite get over that it has 5 gears!)

anddd the clutch was done today!

Tomorow will take some pictures for you and hopefully have the exhaust and alternator sorted :)

Then there is just a few more jobs to do to get her sorted!

#19 Crowson_punk

Crowson_punk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Going to perhaps put a minor downer on this, but that welding is no-where near up to scratch for a chassis!!! There's major undercutting and the penetration is way to shallow!

You need more heat and to take it steadier. I'd get sacked if I welded like that at work, and thats on tool trolleys let alone a subframe to take more than about 20hp...

Seriously, a welding course at college may be a good idea. When you accelerate away those mounts will split. it doesn't matter how thick the plate is, you need at least 5mm plate for engine mounts and you'll need a 3 phase welder to do it properly, or at least a turbo 150 and you'd need to fillet the joints first.

Surely we must have some people doing motorsport tech or some engineers/welder fabricators (other than moi,) who can see this?

My friendly mot tester would fail that on every mount for it being insecure.

Jon.

Edit: forgot to add, by leaving as many holes and cracks as you have it wont last 5 minutes before the rust sets in either. you've got some serious water traps in there meaning it'll rot from the inside out and you wont realise until it collapses. And it may be the next owner who it collapses on.

Edited by Crowson_punk, 26 June 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#20 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

hi, thanks for the comments,

i have actually addressed the welding since these pictures, adding more strength into the subby where needed (ths was actually prompted by a helpful personal message from a member on here)

i appreciate the advice though

Cheers

#21 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

i honestly do appreciate the advice, this is my first ever conversion and it is a learning curve. Learn from your mistakes eh :thumbsup:

#22 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

im likeing the transplant, seems a nice engine, i went for a honda b16a2 in a my own frame.

sadly ive got to agree with Crowson_punk the welding is just not up to scratch, nothing that cant be fixed tho

#23 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

im likeing the transplant, seems a nice engine, i went for a honda b16a2 in a my own frame.

sadly ive got to agree with Crowson_punk the welding is just not up to scratch, nothing that cant be fixed tho

^^^
exactly, and now is the best time to do it. get yourself some thick plate, tubing, a good welder and get cracking ian....................you can do it. :thumbsup:

#24 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

so basically throw the engine and subframe out the car, grind down some of the welds and try again with them?

#25 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

so basically throw the engine and subframe out the car, grind down some of the welds and try again with them?

sorta. take two steps back and look at your work through the eyes of ur MOT tester or engineer and imagine what you can do to make it better. why would he fail your car?

Posted Image

here is the link: http://www.sweethave...c...=3&modnum=3

there is alot of info out there to make you appreciate how important a strong weld is. by using the correct technique and equipment you will save time and ur job will look great too :(

#26 Crowson_punk

Crowson_punk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I would try the mig welding forum lots of advice on there and plenty of pictures of how it all should look!

The welds should really look like this,
Posted Image,
or at least similar, (not the best picture but i don't have time to trawl the net now lmao.) Neat even and without undercutting. have a root through the guides on the mig forum, they really are very informative!!!

Kudos for trying and I'm glad your taking the criticism to heart rather than shrugging it off like so many people do!!!!

Jon.

Edited by Crowson_punk, 26 June 2010 - 06:08 PM.

#27 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

my girlfriend has a micra for running about until her mini is ready. its a nice little engine and very reliable. 16 valve too. only down side would be the 1 litre engine.

is yours a 1 litre

#28 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

this is the 1.3 :(
g
thanks for the continuing advice guys, it is important to me that i do a good job on this! Please don't take me for some corner cutting idiot, i am just trying to learn and learning from mistakes is the way foward yeah!

thanks guys, keep the questions/advice coming!

#29 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

Dont give up! Once you get the welding sorted out, your sub is gonna be much stronger. After that just take it one step at a time and you will get there.
The job isn't easy but it can be done. And rest assured, everyone on this forum wants you to enjoy your mini to the fullest (and are concerned for your safety).
But we are here for you every step of the way! So keep at it! You will get there! :thumbsup:

#30 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Little circles mi amigo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users