625 replies to this topic

#46 vince1969

vince1969

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

OS wing off! Steering rack bracket off! Other little rust traps OFF! (santa brought me a spot weld drill bit for christmas)
Posted Image

mmmm. crusty. I plan to clean bits like this up, kurust and paint, then stick them back on.
Posted Image

This is my first piece of sheet metal fabrication. I think it went quite well for a total amateur!
Posted Image

It was becoming clear that the scuttle had to come off to fit the inner wing. I'd been umming and arring about just getting repair panels for the corners, but in the end I splurged the extra cash on a full heritage scuttle so that I wouldn't have to risk any welds in the middle not being perfect. At this stage, I've got absolutely not idea how I'm going to treat the rust in the windscreen pillar! eek.
Posted Image

This is where I left it today. Hopefully this will be the last major chunk to come off before I can start rebuilding the near side.
Posted Image

definately a good move replacing the whole scuttle ,i did the same on my pickup the heritage panel fitted a treat..

#47 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Continuing with the metal work on the inner wing area, I chopped off the rotten section of the dash shelf, and made a template for the repair.
Posted Image

After much trimming and bending and swearing, I had fabricated the required piece.
Posted Image

Welded in and dressed down. Its difficult holding a grinder in that tight space without severing one's fingers.
Posted Image

Then on to the lower firewall disaster zone...
Posted Image

Chop the rot!
Posted Image

New piece made up to size. I measured it as accurately as I could against the new inner wing. Since the new inner wing doesn't fit very perfectly (yet), I'm pretty sure the curved edge will need whacking with a hammer at a later date.
Posted Image

Welded in and ground down. I also kurusted the surrounding area in the meantime, which is why the metal looks black.
Posted Image

A dusting of etch primer over everything.
Posted Image

Here is a little before and after of this area to show the dramatic improvements! The first pic is from a couple of weeks ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image
So progress is definitely happening, but it is sloooooooow. I'm doing a lot of this stuff for the first time and its taking me a while to work it all out. I've also fabricated new brackets for the bonnet hinge on this side as the old ones were NBG. The next thing to worry about is what the hell I am going to do with the door post. It looks like its going to be a nightmare. I don't even want to think about it at the moment!

After all that mucking around with bits of steel, I felt like doing something mechanical; so I stripped the front subframe. Satisfying! I didn't even have to destroy anything in the process!
Posted Image
Posted Image
BITS:
Posted Image

That is all! If I'm doing anything wrong/stupid, please tell me! :)

#48 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Nice work, you're doing great!

#49 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Cripes, you have patience!

I like this thread. Clean, highly skilled & innovative. :cry:

#50 willyg

willyg

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

props to you for the work so far man! love it looks well tidy

#51 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Looks good. I've got this one tracked. How are you going about lining up your inner wings? Both are to be replaced on mine so just wondered if you had any ideas on how you are planning to do it. Also, how is the clarke 135te? Is it manageable for someone completely new to welding? I am in the same boat as you and thats the one i had my eye on getting myself. What gas mix are you using?

http://www.theminifo...howtopic=178485

Keep an eye on this, and when it makes it to the garage and I make the first start on it you may see a simlar sort of thing happening to mine :D

Howard

#52 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thanks guys!

Howard: I plan to line the new OS inner wing up with the old one which I have left on for reference. I'm going to buy a new front panel complete, clamp it all up, offer up the front subframe, make sure its all level and cleco the inner wing in place. Then when the new inner wing is welded in, I'll start of the other side. At least that is my plan at the moment!

The clarke 135te is pretty good I think, but its the only welder I have used so I don't have anything to compare it to. From a complete beginner a few months ago, I'm now able to make solid welds with it, and it hasn't let me down yet. I'm using BOC argoshield light which I believe is 5% CO2, 2% O2, and 93% Argon.

Good luck with your project! You've got a nice collection of panels there. If I'd seen this for sale, I might have gone for it myself! :D

#53 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

OMG mate thats some amazing work there :D i've got to repair my inner and outer wings on my estate, so will be watching your build every update that is made :)

How hard is it to remove the inner wings as a whole? is there many spot welds holding it on?

Cheers

Nick

#54 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

wow, good work lol, im learning to weld and then il be the same as you but i have less patience lmao so something is gona go wrong and im glad i dont have as much as you, i just need to replace the front end excluding inner wings, two front floor pans the rear valance and lots of patches lol, but it looks great and keep up the good work :D

#55 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

How hard is it to remove the inner wings as a whole? is there many spot welds holding it on?

On my car there was a large patch repair in the footwell which was seam welded to the door post, so there was nothing to do but cut with the grinder. The front end is quite easy to drill out the spot welds, but the lower bit which joins to the firewall is double spot welded (on two flanges). Not really easy to get out in one piece. I think it took me a good few hours.

#56 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

mate, i take my hat off to you. your doing a great job. reading this i know what i have got myself into with my clubman estate :)

#57 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

That's a nice little repair piece for the inner wing stiffener. Its better now to get all of the niggley rusty bits rather than the evil rust to re appear when the car has been painted.

I'm still finding little bits here and there (found a bit i had over looked a year ago but sorted that out) but Erm is nearly ready for his shiny new coat.

#58 Glenn S

Glenn S

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

Rich I have 2 Brand new brake drums that I did not use on mine. Free if you want them,@ Kimberley Nottingham.Let me know

#59 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Rich I have 2 Brand new brake drums that I did not use on mine. Free if you want them,@ Kimberley Nottingham.Let me know

Glenn: that would be most awesome! PM'd :)

#60 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

I really like everything about this resto!fabrication is brilliant! i only have a hammer and a vice to bend steel:/ really nice!!

what are your plans for it when its time to style???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users