65 replies to this topic

#1 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

Bearing in mind it seems post dont go on the count in the general chat, its actually quite hard to think up 20 posts just to hit the 150th one so you can post in the wanted section. i can understand the forsale section (just) but for those new to the mini bug who want parts to get on the road, its a bit much.

anyone else agree/disagree?

#2 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

But you've got 150 posts?

#3 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

yea but ive wanted to post up for the last 5 days

#4 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

You could have become a TMF+ member...only £5 and it would benefit the forum.

#5 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

untill things on the forum change, i wont spend anything to become a TMF+ member. specially just to be able to post in the wanted section. the forum needs to help itself before it 'benefits' from members money.

anyway, this isnt just about me, theres lots of people out there with less than 150 posts

#6 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

Its fairly common practise to enforce a post count before allowing a user to use the classified area.

We've done this in an attempt to deter scammers, so far its working very well indeed.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the forum, if theres anything you'd like to comment on please feel free to use the feedback section of the forum.

We don't benefit from the money, the users of the forum benefit from the money, its used to provide upgrades and new stand equipment and help with the running costs of the forum.

If there was no forum, you wouldn't have anywhere to place a wanted ad.

#7 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

i understand the need to keep scammers out but if a scammer reached 50 posts nevermind 150 then theres serious software issues (or cant be bad scamming it takes more than 50 posts to class as a spammer)

ive said my bit in the suggestions thread and sent the questionare back but had no feedback. overall its not a bad site at all, just a few niggles that could do with ironing out. but thats just my opinion :xmas:

the forum benefits too! the bigger and better the stalls are and the more advertising brings in more members....

if THIS forum didnt exist there would be another one in its place im sure. infact, there already is, just that this one is the largest. which goes back to what i said above ^^

Edited by shed, 25 December 2010 - 10:46 PM.

#8 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

i agree with shed
its hard sometimes to get lots of posts in! especially when your very new to the technical side of things.
as shed said, i can understand not being able to post in the forsale but i dont see why in the wanted section

I agree its good to stop scammers but i think the wanted section should maybe be lower post count?
Otherwise all this does is encourage people to start posting pointless things to bump up their post count. And yes i know i could join TMF+ and i am going to next year, but at the moment i am a student and cant afford to.

i love TMF, i think its great as it is and if it didnt exist, i probably wouldnt bother with a forum but it just seems a little harsh on people who maybe are here to learn and dont always have advice to give out!

Edited by littlemissmagic, 25 December 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#9 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

The bigger the forum, the more benefits we can offer, the bigger we are the more 'clout' we have with show organisers, that means the more stand places we can negioiate for us. Which in a lot of cases means we can offer free entrance to the shows for more people.

When we do go to shows its nice to have a stand that people can be proud of, like you say we're the largest and its nice to promote that fact.

More members also benefits everyone, that means we have a bigger pool of tech knowledge, and in your case more people who are likely to respond to your wanted advert.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

i agree with shed
its hard sometimes to get lots of posts in!
as shed said, i can understand not being able to post in the forsale but i dont see why in the wanted section

I agree its good to stop scammers but i think the wanted section should be lower post count because say in my case, i am waiting to start my build thread when something actually starts happening with my mini worth mentioning, and in the meantime have been getting my parts together but it seems that this has now turned into even more of a mission!

TMF+ would also mean that you get a discount on the new parts you buy for your project, 7% discount at minispares for £5 soon pays for itself.

I've saved the cost of my membership time and time again.

#11 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

all makes sense but have tippy toe'd around the issue there didnt ya.

lets look at figures for a minute...... at time of writing this....

36236 members
280 guests
67 members

14 of 67 are TMF+..... 14 x £5 = 70
2 Traders who probably pay something towards the site
1 mod who assume was TMF+ before promotion?
God knows how much ££ in advertising
potential 64 members to become TMF+ @ £5 = £320

so theres around £100 worth of income on the site, NOW. Potenially closer to £400 if everyone decided to sign up.

Forum software is a couple hundred quid, server charges (unless privately owned, in which case £electric)

its fair to say this site makes a fair few quid over 12 months.

all im saying is the post count does seem to be a little high for the wanted section (and it looks like someone else agrees).

#12 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

Traders don't actually pay anything to use the site.

I'm also afraid that I don't have anything to do with the site finances so I'm not going to comment on the figures but I do know that the server costs are fairly high.

However..

To use your figures, that means that out of

36236 members
280 guests
67 members

Only 2 of them feel the post count for the wanted section is too high.

#13 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

yea this is just another example of a thread being taken out of context, dragged out and sidetracked away from the initial point.

and seemingly a waste of time.

#14 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Fair enough, you asked a question, I responded, we had a discussion and thats that.

I didn't ask the questions I just replied in the best way that I could.

#15 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

about the scammer thing shifty,

if a scammer wanted to con loads of people to buy goods and not send
they're probably going to use paypal yes?

then whats £5 to join TMF+ going to impact the amount made conning people?

makes it abit more akward i guess, and TMF gets another £5 but doesnt actually solve the situation?
(or benifit the members much :))

Lol :xmas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users