#61 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Then in went his battery and within a few turns he started HURRAH but the starter would not disengage. What the hell!!! this however was a simple fix as the ignition key i used was not allowing the barrel to return properly causing the starter to stay engaged. Now this is the first time i have come across this problem.

Great looking work as ever. I've had the ignition stick before. A few squirts of wd40 solved it. But ideally a strip down & clean would probabaly have been a better long term fix.

Yes i would agree with you there Jagman, i think the problem lies with the amount of dust the car had in it from its 10 year stay in a body shop. Its absolutely everywhere and i have no doubt in my mind it will be in the ignition barrel as well.

#62 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Well the repairs to the flitch have gone well along with the repair to the front of the door step.
All of the flitch damage cut out
Posted Image
The new section of flitch welded in and ground down
Posted Image
This was the lower section of the flitch and door step cut out and treated prior to new section being welded in.
Posted Image
New section welded in place and ground down
Posted Image
Upper section removed and cleaned up
Posted Image
New section fitted
Posted Image
Tomorrow will be the fitting of the new jacking point and the outer sill. Oh the joys of welding when its a lovely hot day.

#63 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Looking good Batman! I'm updating my thread later so keep an eye out ;) also, I have 2 new boxed front wheel bearings for drum set up if you are interested ?

Dan..

#64 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm changing over to 7.5 discs Dan but thanks but no thanks for the bearings. I will keep my peepers peeled for your thread.

#65 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

No worries Neil :thumbsup: and thanks

#66 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Got the jacking point on today and then splashed a bit of blue paint around to give things a bit of protection
Posted Image
Posted Image

Drilled all of the holes for plug welding the outer sill on tomorrow and also welded up a few holes left over from the previous owners attempt at welding. :xxx:
While the sill was off i whipped out the subframe bolts and gave them a good coat of Copper slip so there will be no issues with seized bolts later on.

Its been really hot in the garage today easily in the mid 30's and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. I like the heat but working in sauna like conditions is not my idea of fun so it will be an early start tomorrow.

#67 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

noticed you have drilled the doorstep not the sills. Is it easier that way round ?

#68 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

I prefer welding down rather than up Graham its personal preference really.

#69 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Good to see you are back on the case with this! Love the undetectable repairs. I am also getting back in the garage this weekend, finally!

#70 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi Rich its been a while. For me invisible repairs are the way to go as i'm not really keen on seeing weld lines etc but each to their own.

Pulled my finger out today even with the temperature going up. My garage was bloody hot even with all of the doors open.
I ripped the crap E coat off the A panel and got that etched, primed and painted on the inside
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
so that was ready to fit later.

The sill went on nicely, plug welded in place
Posted Image
All ground down and polished up
Posted Image
Posted Image
I did pick fault with the end of the heel board as the welds kept on fizzing so to speak and that was due to crustiness so cut out the old section
Posted Image
Cleaned up the previous welding that i had done then fitted the repair section and cleaned it up
Posted Image
Much happier with that but i now know when it comes to resto time the heel board will need some attention, i did put some extra weld on the lower subframe captive nut before fitting the new section.
Then it was on to the A panel which was a pig to fit, it did not want to go on at all so took some serious grunting and cursing before it had some. Crap pattern panel to be honest but i did not want to spend bigger bucks on a Heritage part so had to make the best out of a bad deal
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just needs some final TLC and a skim of filler.
Found this lurking on the rear quarter so will need to sort that out as well.
Posted Image
I want to try and get this lot painted either next week or the week after but i still have the boot hinge panel to sort out.

#71 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

Had a look at the damage to the l/h rear quarter and for the life of me i cannot see why they did not repair the slit they cut in the panel??
Anyway i ground out the remainder of the filler they put in the cut and then made the slot larger making sure there was no damage left,
Posted Image
I made sure there was no rust left and applied a coat of Krust followed by Zinc rich primer. Then in went the repair piece and ground everything down flush ready for a skim of filler which will be sorted out tomorrow.
Posted Image

#72 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Neil I am so jealous of your skill, of your patience, of your determination. Thanks for always sharing what you know. I do enjoy following your work.
But! Stop complaining about your weather. Up here in the north its been wet windy and horrible. We had maybe two better days. We've had no summer. The fields beside me have still got unharvested barley in them and are getting a bit grey!

Hugh

#73 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

Neil I am so jealous of your skill, of your patience, of your determination. Thanks for always sharing what you know. I do enjoy following your work.
But! Stop complaining about your weather. Up here in the north its been wet windy and horrible. We had maybe two better days. We've had no summer. The fields beside me have still got unharvested barley in them and are getting a bit grey!

Hugh

Hugh there's hot and there's hot, it doesn't help when your missus makes you fit a new fence and then paint the bloody thing. Got quite a red swede now and it hit 34.5c in our garden. I should be grateful though rather that than damp weather to be sure. Saying that its now blowing a gale right now.

Shame about the crops though, that's not good for the farmers.

#74 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Not been that busy on Paddy this week but have managed to get some filler and primer on the upper surfaces, whereas the sill got waxoyled inside and out.
A panel primed
Posted Image
doorstep and rear quarter primed
Posted Image
All flatted back ready for topcoat
Posted Image

I will seal behind the A panel and the inner wing to outer wing seam tomorrow along with the scuttle. Then on with some topcoat.

#75 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Looking great, will be good seeing it in top coat.. keep at it..

Dan..

p.s my threads been updated ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users