Its been noted that i've been quieter on the forum (forums) and things like the Audio 101 have not been updated yet. Well i have been putting most if not all of my free time in to the mini (again).
This time the main area of the car that got attention was the engine and engine bay.
So since I got the car it has a slight running issue.
Once it is warm, from idle if you mash the throttle the car will bog and then very slowly the revs will rise. The bogging is very bad.
But what is worst it if you labour the engine at all under 2000 revs the car will close to stall and pull so weakly the skin on a rice pudding would win, this also means that if you rev the car a little under 2000 rev while in gear (moving) and then suddenly get off the throttle the rev will drop and Not be caught and 1 out of 10 the cat will stall… not fun in traffic or queues for roundabouts etc.
So after replacing a few bits (throttle body, plugs, leads etc) a full diagnostic was done on the car.
The report showed the ECU was retarding and scattering the timing, the only problem that could be found was the vacuum looked down.
No air leaks were found and no problems with wiring.
So I was told it was “a problem inside the engine” and it would need a rip down to find out what.
After some thought I decided to cut my losses on that engine/box and part-ex for a rebuilt 1293 overbored unit with a SW5i cam and a shorter final drive... weee!
So that’s what I’ve been doing. At the same time ive been cleaning up the engine bay which was like a bomb site with rust and crap everywhere.
I’m very happy with the new look, and it gets the car ready for Mini World but all the effort have been in vain as the problem is still there!!
Looks like it’s a ECU or sensor problem after all… sigh
One Ratty Engine bay after a very nasty rusty lump was removed.
Previous owner had used Dot 3 and been a bit clumsy with it. the Bulkhead was very rusty and i have to grind it back to metal.
All Done and in Primer
Bulkhead gets a layer of Dead Skin.
And then a cut to fit panel of Dyna Liner
(must clean up that motor!)
The Sub frame also came out and was treated and dipped.
And to cut to the chase the finished bay with the Engine in place.
Every Plate or mount was removed and power coated, Many Smiffy's bits have been used but even some of them have been power coated as I'm not a big fan of Chrome etc in engine bays.
You can also see in this image the 120amp ALT with its own 2 AWG direct wiring. This is to charge the now TWO Exide 900 DC's I have... more on that later.
A few more thing to happen in the car but I hope you will be able to read about those in Mini World before the end of the year... I just need to get him running right!
Edited by Ruckus, 07 August 2012 - 09:08 PM.