benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi

I have an Austin Mini Mayfair 1987 and when i turn my lights on only the front lights work. If i flick the switch to sidelights i get nothing. Sometime they work though. The problem is getting really frustrating as when i park up if i come back to my car i dont know if my lights will work or not.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

Really want my sidelights to work!

Thanks

#2 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think you'll find they share a fuse, do your dashboard lights work too?

Maybe get to your fuse holder, and give all of the contacts a good clean, (wirers to box, and box to fuses).

Dave

#3 benmellors

benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Maybe get to your fuse holder, and give all of the contacts a good clean, (wirers to box, and box to fuses).

Dave

I thought the headlights weren't fused through the fuse box?
My dash lights don't work either.
I have a new fusebox so will swap it over and see if that helps.

Thanks

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

I think Dave means the side 'n tails share a fuse - along with the dash illum and number plate lights.

You could try removing the light switch and bridging the connections as a test: brown is live, red sides, blue heads.

#5 benmellors

benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

I think Dave means the side 'n tails share a fuse - along with the dash illum and number plate lights.

You could try removing the light switch and bridging the connections as a test: brown is live, red sides, blue heads.

Ok will try bridging the connections first to eliminate a fault with the switch then I will have a look at the fuse box.
Does anyone know which fuse the sidelights run through, will check the spade connector before I fit my new fusebox.
Thanks

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Same again, look for the solid red wire.

#7 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

I believe the fuse for the sides, rears, dash and number plate lights is the second or third fuse as my girlfriends car had the same problem.

#8 benmellors

benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

I believe the fuse for the sides, rears, dash and number plate lights is the second or third fuse as my girlfriends car had the same problem.

How did you fix it? Was it the fuse box?

Thanks

#9 tommy boy

tommy boy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Had this problem with my clubby. The fault on mine was at the switch. The internal conacts were covered in green corrosion. You could try operating the switch very gently, not quite reaching the "click" point and see if the sides come on. The swich itself is not too difficult to take apart and clean up. Just do it slowly and the bits won`t end up on the floor! Find the contacts and gently clean with 600 wet/dry. Regrease the rocker bit and put back together. Sounds a nightmare but do it like you were handling a lady. Slow, careful and rub the right bits. oh errr. But if you cant be arsed, just buy a new one.

#10 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Dave

I thought the headlights weren't fused through the fuse box?
My dash lights don't work either.
I have a new fusebox so will swap it over and see if that helps.

Thanks

Exactly my point, the dip beam doesn't go through the fuse box, but the rest that aren't working do, so check that O_O)
It's a known issue with them, and it won't hurt to just take the fusebox apart and clean all the terminals anyway, just make sure you know where they all go back!
Dave

#11 benmellors

benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Just replaced my fuse box with a new one and everything send to be working fine!
Hopefully that's fixed the problem, if not then I'll have to either clean or replace the switch.
The old fusebox was green and corroded underneath so definitely needed doing!

Cheers for the info and help guys!

Thanks

#12 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback it helps build up a kind of database of fixes.

That green scum is the copper oxide, (essentially like rust but on copper).
Same as rust it doesn't conduct electricity, so your lights failed.

While you are at it, I'd recommend looking at the bullet connectors under the bonnet slam panel / behind the grille.
Take them apart and give them a quick clean with some emery cloth, keep everything in tip-top condition!

Enjoy your mini-ing!

Dave

#13 The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi guys!,

I know this is an old forum but my mini is suffering the same problem !

Should i just take the fusebox out and give it a good clean? I thought the tail and side lights were on one of the line fuses so surely cleaning the fusebox wouldnt help?

I'm confused :( help!

#14 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

On mine its the 3rd fuse down from the top, its one of the connectors which is a bit rubbish and needs a wiggle occasionally, and sides, tails and dash lights are in the fusebox, so yeah take it out (take lots of pictures and or drawings on which wires connect where and fuse ratings, then use some wet and dry on the contacts, but be careful, I have snapped a couple of lugs off mine once when cleaning as they were heavily corroded,

#15 The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

On mine its the 3rd fuse down from the top, its one of the connectors which is a bit rubbish and needs a wiggle occasionally, and sides, tails and dash lights are in the fusebox, so yeah take it out (take lots of pictures and or drawings on which wires connect where and fuse ratings, then use some wet and dry on the contacts, but be careful, I have snapped a couple of lugs off mine once when cleaning as they were heavily corroded,

Thanks so much!, i'm wet and dry'ing them now.. so hopefully it should be fine :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users