stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi

I'm thinking of going the megajolt route for my 1275 build, but it makes sense (to me anyway), to get it all set up and working on the current 998, so that when the engine eventually goes in, it's one less new addition (potential problem) to worry about.

I've been doing lots of reading on here, Autolabs & other sites, and I think I know where I'm heading. I'm going to build the parts package up myself and have a few bits on the go already.

What I would like to know is where have you put / mounted the parts? Any ideas, suggestions, pictures, do's & dont's etc etc. In particular the coil pack as I want to keep the wiring neat & don't really want long HT leads trailing everywhere.

I thought I had one idea which included the MJ unit in the engine bay, but Autolabs advise against this so may have to put it in the car.

I read that the EDIS benefits from a heatsink. Have you / haven't you?

Also, how big is the unit? I can find all sorts of specifictaions, but unless I have missed it, nothing that gives the actual physical size. Anyone have the dimesions?

Any other hints & tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

#2 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have some pics of where mine is, tho i doubt its going to be helpful unless you have a big bulkhead box... ignore how rough it was, didnt have any paint :lol:

Posted Image

The coilpack has to sit off-of the bulkhead because the mountings arent flush, theres moulded section under it.
The EDIS i put on the same bracket because its heater :lol: plus the air being around it might be better heat-sink style

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just to show off where the leads sit, its not too bad i think

Posted Image

#3 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for that, much apprecaited.

Did you put the main MJ unit in the car?

#4 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

I did yes, but i havent got a picture, which is unusual for me :lol:
Its also not very helpful being as its bolted to the back of my bulkhead box to the side of my fuse box
Posted Image
can see where my fuses are just below the dash rail... its just to the right of that hidden from view (but where i can still get to the com port)

#5 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks once again.

#6 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Here's the bracket:
Posted Image

Here's the unit:
Posted Image

I mounted the EDIS units on the bulkhead:
Posted Image

Tidiest installation ever :D
I miss my mini :(

Edited by Ouster, 15 January 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#7 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Ouster.

The main unit looks small enough to hide under the dash.

I especially like the sensor bracket, looks as though I could make something similar and save a few quid. As Tesco say...............

Regards

Steve

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

This is how I ended up mounting the various components.

Posted Image
This mount has been trouble free and doesn't vibrate.

Posted Image
Under the dash (passenger side).

Posted Image
Under the dash (drivers side).

Posted Image
Simple mounting but works. Coil pack needs to come out for starter motor removal but it's not difficult to do that.

Posted Image
Coil pack location gives me nice short HT leads.

#9 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

mines mounted on the underside of the dash where the heater matrix would be right under the centre clocks. just drilled 2 holes up through that thin sheet of metal get some rubber gromets and bolt and nuts. its good as its hidden up behind the switches in the centre but easily accessable.

obviously down side to this is i have no heater matrix. but its tidy and i can earth it to the dash as well :)

#10 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

This is how I ended up mounting the various components.

This mount has been trouble free and doesn't vibrate.

Under the dash (passenger side).

Under the dash (drivers side).

Simple mounting but works. Coil pack needs to come out for starter motor removal but it's not difficult to do that.

Coil pack location gives me nice short HT leads.

Thanks Solar B, Much appreciated

Another idea for the VR bracket that looks straightforward to make. I notice on both yours and Ousters, that the trigger wheel is inboard of the pulley. I had thought of using a stadard ring & machining to fit but guessed it would always be on the outside. Can I ask how you have fitted it. (machined flange, weld bolt etc). Did you start with a standard pulley? (Ousters looks slightly different)

Loving the idea of the coil mounting plate, may have to copy that idea if you don't mind.

Not sure I can get the EDIS in the car (under dash is quite full already) but my idea of possibly on the offside inner wing would keep the wiring shorter & neat. Will have to make room for the MJ unit inside though it would seem.

Lovely looking car you have.

Kind regards

Steve

#11 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

mines mounted on the underside of the dash where the heater matrix would be right under the centre clocks. just drilled 2 holes up through that thin sheet of metal get some rubber gromets and bolt and nuts. its good as its hidden up behind the switches in the centre but easily accessable.

obviously down side to this is i have no heater matrix. but its tidy and i can earth it to the dash as well :)

t@z, many thanks for your reply.

The space in the centre of my dash is quite full with all the extra bits I have & the savage switches. I'm thinking I may be able to get it to mount under the dash on the drivers side if I move a couple of relays that are there at the moment.

Will be a bit easier when I get the box and see the cable exit etc.

Kind regards

Steve

#12 superman

superman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Local Club: Dorset Mini Club

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Here's my coil pack mounted over the flywheel, the edis 4 and megajolt (when i get one) will be mounted inside hidden away

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Superman

Another neat idea on the coil pack

Lots of options to think about

Regards

Steve

#14 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I notice on both yours and Ousters, that the trigger wheel is inboard of the pulley. I had thought of using a stadard ring & machining to fit but guessed it would always be on the outside. Can I ask how you have fitted it. (machined flange, weld bolt etc). Did you start with a standard pulley? (Ousters looks slightly different)

My trigger wheel is held onto a standard pulley with six M4 stainless screws passing through the wheel and into tapped holes in the damper weight. The trigger wheel can go on the other side of the pulley, but it turns fan belt replacement from a 5 minute job into an hours fight as there isn't enough room to fit the belt between the trigger wheel and the engine mount. If you mounted the wheel on the outside of the pulley to replace the belt you'd have to split the engine from the mount.

#15 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

t@z, many thanks for your reply.

The space in the centre of my dash is quite full with all the extra bits I have & the savage switches. I'm thinking I may be able to get it to mount under the dash on the drivers side if I move a couple of relays that are there at the moment.

Will be a bit easier when I get the box and see the cable exit etc.

Kind regards

Steve

no worries, like i say its the best place for me as i dont have a heater matrix and my dash just has the std switches on the front and a centre clock. other than that its pretty standard.

regarding my edis and coil. you can see my edis mounted in the top left of my bulk head and the coil on the front wing where the solenoid would be on the wing. i take the live off the coil feed so from a layout point of view in my mind it makes sense to have things where i have placed them. (by the way my wiring has been tidied up a lot since this piccy!)

Posted Image
engine_setup by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
pulley by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

good luck :)

Edited by t@z, 16 January 2012 - 08:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users