jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong catagory.

Ive made the desicion to fit megajolt to the engine im building up and have decided to document the process for all you lovely people to have a ganders at incase you need some ideas/help with your own install.

At the moment ive only just started ordering afew parts, the Edis-4 Unit, coil pack and sensor will be sourced from a scrappy when i get around to it.

Just so you know what engine im adding it to, the final engine will be...

-1301 Engine
-Kent 276 Cam
-Stage 3 Head (Minispeed)
-Center main strap
-Vernier Duplex Timing Gear
-3.44 Final Drive Ratio
-Weber 40
-5 or 6 in Manifold
-Length of rampipes/velocity stacks or trumpets(depending on what you know them as) is unknown right now

Ive already placed the order for the Megajolt unit (V4) from Autosportlabs.net which is yet to arrive.

Have just recieved the 36-1 Trigger wheel from Trigger-wheels.com
Very impressed with the speed of there delivery as it arrived 2 days after i ordered at 9pm

(Sorry about the size of these images, every time i resize them to 300px wide in the editor then go back to full size)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Ive read the manual afew times so i can get my head around all the functions and features.

Ive decided to use the Aux input to read a tempeture sensor so that when the engines cold it retards the ignition and as it warms slowly returns to the set degrees of advanced.

As you cant use the standard temp sensor for both the temp gauge and the megajolt im going to drill and tap the thermostat housing to take another sensor which i will use for the gauge and use the head mounted one for the Megajolt.

Ive also decided to make use of the switchable configuration allowing you to have two maps which you can switch between.

For the config switch ive decided to make a plate which im doing to mount into the ashtray hole on the top dash rail which will also hold the Tuning DB9 COM port and an indicator LED to tell me when im using the second config. (Photoshopped mock up below)

Im sourcing the Flush fit latching button from Ebay, just search "SAVAGE button" (They do some with signs on too)
Posted Image

I will update this topic with more pictures and information when ive done more.

Edited by jackmason, 19 January 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#2 chrisj

chrisj

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Looking forward to this, I'll be fitting mega jolt to my 998 build.

Also is the mega jolt much cheaper from autosport as opposed to ordering the kit trigger wheels do?

Edited by chrisj, 19 January 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#3 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Also is the mega jolt much cheaper from autosport as opposed to ordering the kit trigger wheels do?

I did look at getting it all from trigger wheels but i decided to source the parts myself to try and save some money.
Also i thought by getting the Edis module, coil pack and sensor from a scrappy i can keep as much of the original cable as possible which might help the wiring as you need shielded wireing for one part of it.

So far the parts have cost....

The Megajolt unit, with tuning cable (inc P+P) came to =£128.49
I got a USB to Serial adapter from amazon for =£2.99
The Dizzy blanking plate from MRA Minis is =£8.25
Longer Crank Bolt from Minispares = £7.20
Parts from scrappy im guessing will be about £30

If you have the money you could just get the whole kit from trigger-wheels as the units are New and it would save some time and effort.

#4 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Subscribing to the thread :) Good luck

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Cool, I like a nice MJ install :D

#6 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Subscribing to the thread :) Good luck

#7 chrisj

chrisj

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

I did look at getting it all from trigger wheels but i decided to source the parts myself to try and save some money.
Also i thought by getting the Edis module, coil pack and sensor from a scrappy i can keep as much of the original cable as possible which might help the wiring as you need shielded wireing for one part of it.

So far the parts have cost....

The Megajolt unit, with tuning cable (inc P+P) came to =£128.49
I got a USB to Serial adapter from amazon for =£2.99
The Dizzy blanking plate from MRA Minis is =£8.25
Longer Crank Bolt from Minispares = £7.20
Parts from scrappy im guessing will be about £30

If you have the money you could just get the whole kit from trigger-wheels as the units are New and it would save some time and effort.

When you list the prices like that it does work out much cheaper, I think the full kit from trigger is £300 +.

Although I suppose as you say the edis unit is new.

Thanks for the info.

#8 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi All,

While im waiting for more of the bits to turn up and for me to finnish getting my engine together i thought ide post with some ideas i have.

The Megajolt unit has been despatched from Autosportlabs so im just waiting for that to arrive

Vaccum takeoff for the MAP Sensor
Im going to be drilling and tapping both sides of my Weber manifold for the Vaccum pipes to connect to the MJ unit for the MAP Sensor.

Im going to put a plenum chamber in the middle of the circuit as suggested on Autosportlabs website.

For the plenum ive been thinking about what i can use... It has to be small enough to look neat and not get in the way, but not to small otherwise it wont really do its job. Ive had a brief look around on here for suggestions and ideas but it seems not many people use a plenum.

Afew ideas ive been thinking of are...

-An inline Fuel Filter (with the filter removed) from ebay (about £6)
Posted Image

-An Enclosure from Maplin (About £3-4)
Posted Image
Ide have to make sure whatever i use is nice and airtight so i will use sealant to seal whatever i use.

Sensor Bracket
Been looking around and getting ideas and theres plenty available to buy, but for something that can be made youself i didnt see the need to purchase one.

Reading the post on turbo-mini.com ive decided to make the sensor exactally as he has (image below) making it nice and solid when mounted.
Posted Image

When i make a start on the bracket i will show you all some pictures.

Coilpack and Edis-4 unit
Also mentioned on Turbo-mini.com is that they recommend you put a heatsink on the rear of the edis module. They suggest all you need to do is mount it to an ally plate slightly larger than the unit which i might end up doing.

I have had another idea which is to make a bracket to hold the edis unit about an inch away from the body and stick a large heatsink on the underside.

-This is the heatsink i was thinking of using, available from ebay for £11 and attaching it to the edis unit using thermal adhesive pads. (also available on ebay)
Posted Image

I might change my mind on this idea later on as it would add some height to the edis unit and engine bay space might be a limiting factor but we shall see.

#9 afoggo

afoggo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

just in the middle of sorting out my megajolt set up, great idea to document it all to help us all out :)

are you making your own wiring loom or buying from ?

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't think you'll need a heat sink, just copy the mounting off the donor car. You'll also want to advance the timing when it's cold

#11 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

just in the middle of sorting out my megajolt set up, great idea to document it all to help us all out :)

are you making your own wiring loom or buying from ?

Yeh thats why i decided to do it all as when i was looking for ideas and info there wasnt a clear topic.
Im going to use as much of the wiring from the donor car and then just make the rest up myself.

I don't think you'll need a heat sink, just copy the mounting off the donor car. You'll also want to advance the timing when it's cold

I wasnt sure if i needed it, but i just thought at this early stage ide think of all things i could do. I will wait until i have everything before i make a final desision.

Ahh ok, thanks. When writing the post i wasnt sure but when it come around to it ide be getting help from my dad so im sure i would have got it right when the time come.

Edited by jackmason, 20 January 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

No problem :), it's your project and up to you how you do it. Just chucking in more info to help your decision making.

The edis unit I pulled was just mounted on a steel plate that allowed the air to circulate behind it. If you look behind the plaggy cover you'll find it's encapsulated in jelly like stuff so I doubt you could do much to improve the cooling through the front.

#13 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Watching this with interest as I am about to start my install of the same.

I posted a topic a few days ago to gain some ideas and got some great pictures posted by fellow TMF members of sensor brackets that may help

http://www.theminifo...__fromsearch__1

Will be keen to see if you pick up any duty charges form the states on your unit, as trigger wheels for the basic unit is only £10 more (not sure what their carriage is on top though)

My Edis , Coil & Sensor arrived yesterday courtesy of good old ebay so will be doing a bit over the next few weeks as time allows.

Look forward to more updates.

Best regards

Steve

#14 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I posted a topic a few days ago to gain some ideas and got some great pictures posted by fellow TMF members of sensor brackets that may help

http://www.theminifo...__fromsearch__1

I saw your topic and took note of the coil mountings so ive got some ideas now.

Will be keen to see if you pick up any duty charges form the states on your unit, as trigger wheels for the basic unit is only £10 more (not sure what their carriage is on top though)

Ahhh, i didnt think of that. Fingers crossed aye.

#15 afoggo

afoggo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I didn't get charged any duty on mine :) was fearing the import tax but was all good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users