jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Looking good so far,

Am I the only one that got stung by customs for VAT? :( The Post Office hold your parcel hostage if they pick on you, it might be some of their offices are keener than others.

Think this is why I'll get mine from Trigger Wheels. My luck would mean I'd get the charges and my saving would then cease to be.

Looking good so far,

Am I the only one that got stung by customs for VAT? :( The Post Office hold your parcel hostage if they pick on you, it might be some of their offices are keener than others.

It seems so Ethel, Ive had things held hostage in the past but this time i managed to avoid it.

#32 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

To be fair, it is the only thing I've ever been charged on, it was a self assembly kit too.

Worthwhile then but I believe they have stopped the kits now. I think currently the saving works out at less than £20 (unless you pay the extortionate carrier fee over & above the std recorded post from TW) which means in my mind it's too much of a gamble.

I'd have gone for the kit if they still did them.

Will get mine on order in the next week or so.

#33 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

To be fair, it is the only thing I've ever been charged on, it was a self assembly kit too.

Worthwhile then but I believe they have stopped the kits now. I think currently the saving works out at less than £20 (unless you pay the extortionate carrier fee over & above the std recorded post from TW) which means in my mind it's too much of a gamble.

Looking at the trigger-wheels website, they still sell the kits
http://trigger-wheel.../en-uk/d33.html

£352.99 for the kit with the USB to serial adapter and the dizzy blanking plug added on. (prices quoted from trigger-wheels.com on 14th Feb 2012)

#34 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Been out in the garage this evening making the sensor bracket up from bits of ally.

Not very good at documenting the stages of creation as i tend to just get stuck in.

Posted Image

#35 PaulHam

PaulHam

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Did you find your triggerwheels.com trigger wheel isn't a tight fit inside the damper pulley? Mine has a small bit of movement and I'm worried it might not be centred correctly?

Paul

#36 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

looking good, have been thinking if i should go for megajolt so have been pricing up, trigger-wheels.com want £138 for just the mj unit including vat and p+p whereas i think you stated that it was £128 from autosportlabs, i can get all the parts from the donor vehicle for free as i believe we have the correct mondeo at college, that just leaves the loom which i believe i should be able to make and then trigger wheel and brackets to buy and make

#37 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Did you find your triggerwheels.com trigger wheel isn't a tight fit inside the damper pulley? Mine has a small bit of movement and I'm worried it might not be centred correctly?

Paul

It wasn't the tightest but the bolt hole in the middle is perfectly center and the bolt i brought fits the hole perfectly so its going to be central even with abit of space around the edge.

#38 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

looking good, have been thinking if i should go for megajolt so have been pricing up, trigger-wheels.com want £138 for just the mj unit including vat and p+p whereas i think you stated that it was £128 from autosportlabs, i can get all the parts from the donor vehicle for free as i believe we have the correct mondeo at college, that just leaves the loom which i believe i should be able to make and then trigger wheel and brackets to buy and make

Yeh, the price was at the time so it might have changed abit. Some people on this thread earler on said that they got charged import duty. I didnt but its a chance you have to take into account, as stated earler on. If you get charged then its going to be more expensive.

I got all my bits from a scrappy and made my own loom from this massive pile of wires i have lying around.
Posted Image

#39 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

i think for the extra tenner then maybe its worth just getting from trigger-wheels if your worried that you will get the import tax if you got it from autosportlabs. depends if your willing to take the risk, i believe they care more about the larger items and more expensive items coming through otherwise the time they have spent processing a small low cost item then it is actually costing them more money than they will revive. i have bought things from america that have cost 5-40 pounds and have never been charged but as soon as we get our forged pistons and rods that cost a lot of money then they seem to pick up on them.

how easy was the loom to make, i noticed that you need to use shielded wire?

#40 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

It wasnt to hard really, i followed the diagrams and info on autoaportlabs which is super clear and easy to follow. When i cut the bits out the fiesta i kept as much of the sensor wire as i could and it was long enough so i didnt need to extend it. I also happed to have some shielded wire for the pip and saw between megajolt and edis unit. I soldered and heatshrinked the joins then wrapped it up in electrical tape. It took a couple of hours. You can get the looms from a guy on this forum for £45 i think and there the right length and everything. I like fiddling with wires and solder so i decided to do it myself.

#41 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

ah thanks i will keep as much wire as i can as i want to keep it as tidy as possible in the bay

#42 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Small update just to let you all know how im getting on. Ive got the engine in my car now, just waiting for my Stage 3 head to arrive.

The sensor bracket position is perfect and i even managed to get the fan belt on, although i did have to pop the sensor off.

When trying to decide where to fit the coil pack i realized that i can use the standard fiesta coilpack bracket to mount it to the flywheel housing, although i will need to make a little bracket up to give it more support.

I connected the battery up and wired it all into the loom today, went to turn it on and realized the little green light wasn't coming on.
Re-checked the wiring diagram for the plug and i had done it the wrong way around.

Managed to remove the pins from the plug using a pin and switch it all around and Foila!!

No images unfortunately as it was abit rainy but will be doing more tomorrow (weather permitting) and will try to get some.

#43 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Looking at the trigger-wheels website, they still sell the kits
http://trigger-wheel.../en-uk/d33.html

£352.99 for the kit with the USB to serial adapter and the dizzy blanking plug added on. (prices quoted from trigger-wheels.com on 14th Feb 2012)

The kit Ethel was refering to was a DIY assembly kit of the MJ unit itself (came as board & componenets to solder together)

I ordered mine from TW. £149.99 including the MAP sensor & std delivery.

Ordered online Wednesday night & was here in the post (special delivery) on Friday. Can't fault that for service.

I have a slightly different idea for the wheel, rather than a bolt on. Just need to get access to a lathe as my pal sold his. Know who to though and he has a room full of them :D

Regards

Steve

#44 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

The kit Ethel was refering to was a DIY assembly kit of the MJ unit itself (came as board & componenets to solder together)

I ordered mine from TW. £149.99 including the MAP sensor & std delivery.

Ordered online Wednesday night & was here in the post (special delivery) on Friday. Can't fault that for service.

I have a slightly different idea for the wheel, rather than a bolt on. Just need to get access to a lathe as my pal sold his. Know who to though and he has a room full of them :D

Regards

Steve

Ahh i see, sorry i didn't realise.

Thats pretty fast delivery.

#45 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Ok, abit more progress recently amongst taking the screen out and fixing the rusty bits under the sill.

Ive managed to modify the standard fiesta bracket my coilpack came on and mounted it to the clutch housing.

Posted Image
The Dizzy blanking plug has also arrived which i've now fitted.

Posted Image

I've also ordered the box im going to use for the plenum chamber. Its got a flanged base which allows easy mounting and comes with a rubber seal.

I ordered this from cpc (part number EN82005)

Its 60cc which should be perfect.
heres some images
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users