127 replies to this topic

#16 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

That's some good work, and I do think you have a potential demand there for a few items if you were to put a few together.

I'm not an engineer, but would it be possible to take this a stage further and have a method to fold it away into the space where the ashtray was? For example on many vans and modern cars, a cup holder appears by pressing and thereby releasing a mechanism. Could something similar be done for this? If you put something like that together, and could then develop for other phones, I think there could be a decent market for it.

it's this kind of innovative thought that we need for fresh product ideas. Good effort.

#17 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

Previously known as minimad1992

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

I want one!

#18 Pelvisgt

Pelvisgt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Id buy one now !

But like jake said would be amazing if you could have changable adapters or something or make a few different models with different connections.

#19 redhotminilewis

redhotminilewis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

That looks exccellent! really well done. There would be big potential to take this to market if you had the recources.

An idea for the audio jack, possibly use one of the beats headphone leads? is got an L shaped 3.5mm jack so it wouldnt mean you have a cable coming right up in the air and save on space. Plus looks pretty cool too.

Like this:
Posted Image

#20 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thats amazing i would buy one ASAP if they were for Sale!

#21 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys, I would definately be into selling these as kits. The design makes it very easy to change out the cradle for a different design to hold a different phone. Also the parametric nature of 3d printing means that the dimensions of the cradle can be customised to hold phones with different case thicknesses, as nobody wants to take their case off to put it in the cradle.

Give me a few days to perfect the design, and to make sure there are no issues with my prototype... I'll keep you all updated. As you can see, I already had to redesign the rubbishy tiny plastic clips i used in the original design, as they had a tendancy to snap (If only the manufacturers of TV remote controls could figure that out).

Haha, I'm not an engineer either, I'm an architect. I guess it means I have some idea of how to fit stuff together... Believe it or not I did think about making something that stows away into the ashtray - anything with moving parts will require some serious development though.

Edited by beentheunseen, 27 July 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#22 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

give it 6 months and your call issue will be fixed as on the new iphone has the headphone jack on the bottom :)

very clever! always wondered how to mount my phone and although i dont have this style ashtray its given me an idea!

#23 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Id have one if you stated selling them.

Could be cool to intergrate with digital outputs from the car, like this guy is building...http://www.theminifo...id#entry2332966

#24 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

The possibilites are endless for this aswell. Adapters for different phones, sat navs, maybe cameras etc!

Exciting stuff and this 3D printing is awesome - If you'd of told me about printing out 3D objects a few years ago I would of thought it was some sort of witchcraft!

#25 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

:0. I want one of those

I watched something on tv about this kind of printing.

They printed out a set of fully functional office chair wheels all in ons go. No assembling anything amazing bit of kit

#26 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Impressive and very neat! Though where would I keep all my stray nuts, washers and bolts. :lol:

#27 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Getting really interested in this kit now, how much all in has it cost to make a 3D printer, and what one have you made? Prusa?

#28 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys, thought this topic had been moved to mini chat, but it seems there are now 2 copies. I would definately be into selling these as kits. The design makes it very easy to change out the cradle for a different design to hold a different phone. Give me a few days to perfect the design, and to make sure there are no issues with my prototype... I'll keep you all updated.

It is a reprap prusa mendel, heres a photo:
Attached File  Photo 24-07-2012 21 55 42.jpg   63.98K   15 downloads

It probably cost around £350 to get it up and running, then bits and pieces were added and replaced to improve the print quality, so the total cost is now probably around the £400-500 mark. It's taken me about 6 months to get it to a point where i'm getting quality prints from it.

#29 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Better get saving then! defo would be interested when I have the money to buy the printed bits if you would be so kind as make them, being a student It will take a while to save for these bits but it seems as soon as I get good and get it to print well I can just subsidise the cost by selling on copies,

such a simple yet brilliant idea / design, being an engineering student it pleases me :P

#30 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

this is cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users