Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

got to love history!

i am leaving all of the dents etc in my mk2 cooper S miglia, it was rolled and the bloke made such a good job of pushing it out (using tools from the prototype dept. at longbridge!) i will leave it there. also going to paint it using matte effect etc to make it look like it was just dragged out of a barn. should look epic!

so, definatly keep the history, restore it thoroughly and you loose the cars soul, and its identity

#243 ClubbyAsh

ClubbyAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Glad to see someones got this out! As much as i would have loved to have visited it down their as a youngster to get a feel for where the car i now own originated i am fully behind it being restored, this has as much of a right to life as the clubby sat in my garage and i can't wait to see it at shows in the future, and i hope you can get more of an insight into the cars personal history such as how it ended up where it was, ect! Ignore everyone hating on you for this Steve, in my opinion its far better off in your garage being restored than it is being weighed in by a bunch of pikeys so they can afford a new twin axel!

#244 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I've only just read all this....I read the early posts and then thought it was a thread 'debating' what should be done and didnt realise she was out!!

Yep and posted in 'Inntroduce yourself'

Best breakthrough of 2012.

#245 minibarmy

minibarmy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm glad it's out but divided on if it should be restored or not?

I personally would have liked to have seen the shell in it's retrieved condition at a few of next years shows with a display detailing it's known history & how it was removed. It would also have given you some extra time to decided what your plans are for it, maybe you could have a collection/donation box on the display & anyone wishing to see it restored could contribute to the cause, if you dont like the fact its been removed just admire it & walk on.

Give a few of the genuine mini lovers a chance to see a real piece of Longbridge history with their own eyes thats been well documented on various sites over the years.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

#246 sam-wkd

sam-wkd

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I've been reading through the posts for the last few days - I'm really pleased that you went ahead and removed her.

From a curiosity point of view, it would be lovely to see her before she's restored, but at the end of the day, you have to do what YOU want to do with her. She's had a second chance and I love that.

#247 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Goodluck. Lol

#248 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

i will hold back on any sort of restoration just yet so the mini will be available to bee seen in all her "glory"

#249 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

What year is this GT? Late 70's with the 12" steels and plasic trims? Shouldn't be too hard to find I would imagine along with all the other GT parts. Thats If you are going down the route of how it would have left the factory (sort of) Preserving it's history and damamged "charm".

POL should be Big! next year if the guy that now owns Issigonis's personal gearless mini prototype and this GT turns up :D

I really can't wait now!

yes ime in two minds what to do... do i wait til after POL before i start the restoration and bring it along as it is ime not sure people will like to see it at the minute as it is in a bad way...but maybe thats the charm of it at the minute

I would be happy to see it in what ever state it's in by the time of POL. I've wanted to see it for years anyway and so have lots of other people so Im sure if you brought it in it's current condition it will still be a big hit. Do like what Tanya suggested with a little write up about it and your plans and Im sure that will be fine.

Good Luck either way!

#250 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I definitely agree with what many of you have said about keeping the Mini in 'as found' condition to bring to shows next year, especially Pride of Longbridge. Hopefully I will be able to go next year, and this is the first thing I will want to see.

#251 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Its one of those cases where restoring her will actually decrease her value/interest......shes famous as she is

Not as yet another restored classic

Difficult one

#252 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I don't know - she'll always be the Longbridge Tunnel Mini whether she's restored or not. :-)

At least if she's restored she can be used which is a Mini's true purpose, or anyway, I think it is!

#253 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I don't know - she'll always be the Longbridge Tunnel Mini whether she's restored or not. :-)

At least if she's restored she can be used which is a Mini's true purpose, or anyway, I think it is!

:ohno: Our first tiff?

#254 BlueRover

BlueRover

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Newbie here, I joined to look at the pictures and might just stay around for a while.
Although the MIni is to be restored, it won't really lose any of it's heritage just because of bodywork repairs. Items in all cars get replaced or repaired as necessary, this car just needs more than most. Good Luck with the resto and I'll be at POL next year for sure, having missed the last one. I'm with the 800 boys by the way and even though my car was built at Cowley, I consider Longbridge to be the spiritual home of all things Austin Rover/ British Leyland.
Here's a link to some pictures taken http://s980.beta.pho...Longbridge 2010 and one to be going on with.
Posted Image

#255 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

this is a 1275gt in reynard bronze ....hopefuly this one could look like this....someday

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users