#271 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

My word, there are some really silly and childish folks on here these days.

Nice one on pulling it out Steve, you will find that the folks being 'pedantic' about the history etc etc are most likely jealous of what you have achieved.

You should actually change your name to Polly, the amount of times you had to repeat yourself on here about it being legal.

I wish you all the best with the rebuild which ever way it goes.

Boab

thanks for that i really appreciate possitive ones dont worry i have taken them with a pinch of salt ...thanks again

No problems Steve, and welcome to SMF :highfive:

#272 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,836 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Latest photo :mrcool: and a report on the 'tunnel' Mini Clubman rescue is now on AROnline:
http://www.aronline....ves-longbridge/

Well done Steve ! :thumbsup:

#273 cookie1600

cookie1600

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

so now its out whats the next step ?

We should all send cash in to help and get a free ride when it's finished???!!! (speedo disconnected of course!!)

#274 steven

steven

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

"Most of the car enthusiasts on that Mini Forum need to be stuck down that tunnel!"

bit harsh !!

#275 Nuttoni

Nuttoni

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke & Bournemouth

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Well done on getting it out!
I really hope I can get an oppurtunity to see it as it is, if you do take it to shows before you start.

I like the idea of keeping some of the 'scars' as it helps to keep a hold of the character and story, I can't help but feel that if it's put into a pristine condition it'll lose some of that.

However kudos on managing it, ignore the others, if it had been left there alone to rot, it'd be a sad ending to what will now be a great story.
can't wait to see the finished project at a show, you have my full backing whatever you decide.

Edited by Nuttoni, 21 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#276 minimo

minimo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Looking forward to following this one.

Found this on a link to an empty Longbridge page.

#277 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

am i right in thinking as this was never registered and put on the road it is technically a 'new' shell? so it can be used to re-shell a gt legally?

no the shell will have it's own vin number as it was intended to go on the road

a new replacement shell wouldn't have a vin number

Oh right! :(

#278 java gt

java gt

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Well done on saving this iconic Clubman.I saw this many years ago on 28 days and having never been lucky enough to having seen the Longbridge site producing on a mass scale I think that saving this and anything that preserves the memories of the great little cars we all love and where they were made should be commended.I look forward to updates on this Clubbie.

#279 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

am i right in thinking as this was never registered and put on the road it is technically a 'new' shell? so it can be used to re-shell a gt legally?

no the shell will have it's own vin number as it was intended to go on the road

a new replacement shell wouldn't have a vin number

Oh right! :(

i think

#280 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Some info on this Mini.
It wasn't the victim of a container accident (no containers in those days) and it also wasn't a pool car at the factory as it was too low a mileage. Most cars had at least 8 miles or more after going through the whole build process and pool cars racked up high mileages very quickly.
A fire happened in the tunnels in '78 / '79 which smoke damaged a lot of cars in the tunnels including the then Metro prototypes (ADO88 & LC8)
I can only assume the car was placed in there afterwards after suffering some light damage at the end of the production line. It was then placed in the tunnels to be hidden, but subsequently damaged further later by persons unknown.
After the fire it was difficult to get into the tunnels the previous way through the factory without permission so it must have been done in secret or under the authority of someone quite high up.
Perhaps we will never know the whole story.

#281 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Some info on this Mini.
It wasn't the victim of a container accident (no containers in those days) and it also wasn't a pool car at the factory as it was too low a mileage. Most cars had at least 8 miles or more after going through the whole build process and pool cars racked up high mileages very quickly.
A fire happened in the tunnels in '78 / '79 which smoke damaged a lot of cars in the tunnels including the then Metro prototypes (ADO88 & LC8)
I can only assume the car was placed in there afterwards after suffering some light damage at the end of the production line. It was then placed in the tunnels to be hidden, but subsequently damaged further later by persons unknown.
After the fire it was difficult to get into the tunnels the previous way through the factory without permission so it must have been done in secret or under the authority of someone quite high up.

Intriguing however that doesn't explain the dent in the roof, It may have been a pool car for a very short period of time before the damaged happened, this may just be one of life mysteries that no one will ever know the real truth too. We need a conspiracy theory thread about this car!

What were the tunnels used for? I thought they closed them off after WWII as they were no longer needed? Thought they we're only there for underground production of aero parts and infantry parts for the war, and if the fire was in 78/79, when was the car made? Not a sarcastic comment general question.

#282 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Somebody somehwere knows this minis story!!!

#283 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Some info on this Mini.

Intriguing however that doesn't explain the dent in the roof, It may have been a pool car for a very short period of time before the damaged happened, this may just be one of life mysteries that no one will ever know the real truth too. We need a conspiracy theory thread about this car!

What were the tunnels used for? I thought they closed them off after WWII as they were no longer needed? Thought they we're only there for underground production of aero parts and infantry parts for the war, and if the fire was in 78/79, when was the car made? Not a sarcastic comment general question.

I think the dent in the roof was a scaffolding pole or similar by the looks of it - just a theory though

The tunnels were used for storage - mainly prototypes etc that didn't need to be in the flight sheds. That was up until the fire.

#284 J666ERA

J666ERA

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Bandits

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Definitely needs to be back on the road, if and when it comes to registering it, this can be done fairly easily, keep lots of pictures of it being rebuilt.

Once rebuilt to concourse standard it will undoubtedly be a gorgeous mini, but think perhaps of John Lennon's roller with its physcho paint scheme, it ceases to be HIS if it was ever repainted. Just enough and retain its patina of the tunnel mini, anything missing or required absolutely top notch, you can always finish the body in the future if so desired, but if you do it straight off then you never get that opportunity again.

My ERA for instance has a garish Japanese slash cut centre exhaust cut into its rear skirt, but it is what it is, wrong in some peoples eyes, but it did live a life in down town Japan and it stands out as that, one day it will go back to standard. Not the same I know but trying to explain my view.

Mint its a mint reynard gt, showing its scars its the tunnel GT and I know which one would be requested for shows and have crowds round all day.

Paul

#285 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm with the 800 boys by the way and even though my car was built at Cowley, I consider Longbridge to be the spiritual home of all things Austin Rover/ British Leyland.

Now now BlueRover! May I challenge that! With models such as the Wedge, Maxi (apparently with the quote that it has 501 gears, 500 being neutral) and the legendary Marina, I think Cowley did BL as least as well as Longbridge! :lol: And then we move on to Maestro and Montego - just two more sleeps until I collect my standard 1983 1.3L Maestro :wub: :wub: :wub: - you cannot imagine how excited I am! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users