MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I asked for a valuation not an opinion. There's no wonder most other forums think tmf is a joke with people like some of you. I never expected people to say 12k but was miffed at a rediculous 2.5k obviously sensible isn't recognised with some of you. And if you read the thread properly you'll know why I asked for a valuation but yet again in typical tmf style you jumped the gun and started flaming people. I swear most people on here just come on to start an argument or try to belittle someone. Can a mod just delete the thread and have done with it then the morons won't have anything to moan about.

I think thats unfair to TMF....I dont think anyone meant to offend you.

But asking for a valuation and then getting prickly with a long time Member/Trader like Guess-works maybe didnt start things off well?

You have a lovely car

If you still want this thread deleting PM me and I will sort it out for you

#32 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I asked for a valuation not an opinion. There's no wonder most other forums think tmf is a joke with people like some of you. I never expected people to say 12k but was miffed at a rediculous 2.5k obviously sensible isn't recognised with some of you. And if you read the thread properly you'll know why I asked for a valuation but yet again in typical tmf style you jumped the gun and started flaming people. I swear most people on here just come on to start an argument or try to belittle someone. Can a mod just delete the thread and have done with it then the morons won't have anything to moan about.

A valuation IS an opinion. Trying to get one based on snippets of info is impossible so people put an estimate ( another term for valuation or opinion). If you want a PROFESSIONAL valuation then you will need to pay for one. People like Guess works are in the trade and know what they are talking about. To quote the late great Aldous Huxley 'just because you don't like the facts doesn't make them wrong' . You are borderline aggressive with people then get annoyed when they respond. I think you need to look back on the thread and you will see, but that is only an opinion.

#33 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Right, 100% honest opinion here. Your car is a sidewalk, it's a very, very nice sidewalk.

It's had a lot of time and care put into it, but you'll never, ever get what you seem to think it's worth. The other day you put a post in Classic Mini UK, ranting that people were massively over-valuing their cars, yet you seem to think yours is worth what, £7k? £8k?

If I were in the market for a car like yours, the absolute maximum budget I would allow would be around £3-3.5k. I'm someone that has been involved with Minis for 20 years as an owner, has a Dad that's owned 20+ Minis before I even got into them and also gets pretty involved with the forum. You've got to remember that an insurance valuation for agreed value does take into account the work done and some of the value of it. However, when you come to sell a car (which is what this valuations section is really for) you will never get back all of that time and money, so valuations in here will be inherently lower than the insurance valuation. I also agree that if you were offered £5.3k for a P registration Sidewalk, you were very lucky.

This is clearly a Mini to keep, not to sell. Keep it, enjoy it and don't get so wound up with peoples' opinions of your pride and joy. It's a lovely motor mate, it really is. It's just that it's not got that something special about it to make it worth big numbers. Come back in a few years time when standard, immaculate late 90s Minis have all rotted way beyond the condition that yours is in and it'll be worth a lot more.

And Bungle, start yer own thread if you want a valuation! ;D

#34 duffman

duffman

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

If you read the whole thread you will see I have had a PROFESSIONAL value the car, twice and paid through the nose. The childish immature comments is what wound me up.

@max and paddy, I never said all members but there are quite alot which is why TMF has a bad reputation for flaming, alienating and making people feel uncomfortable. If some of the insecure internet commandos were removed you'd find there is a hell of a lot of miffed people that would join back up but people won't use it whilst the 'i am lord and what so and so says is law' attitude still plays a big part on here and with some members. Just delete the thread mate and I'll join the masses of the alienated and leave tmf to the trolls. Shame.

#35 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

At the risk of causing an argument. What was the point of you starting a valuation topic if you are going to immediately dismiss any valuation that is not what you wanted or you don't like the sound of. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get 5K for the car.

Andrew

#36 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

i was just wondering what mine is worth but lost my rose tinted specs

i haven't got any more recent pics Mr Max-Paddy is the mini has been out of my garage much in the last 2 years :(

#37 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

The OP has asked for his thread to be deleted

I'l lock it for now and let the admins decide what to do

(L Plate Moderator)

#38 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'd have to agree, its really easy to look at your own cars value with rose tinted spectacles and we'd all like to think our little pride and joys were worth a fortune.

I think the main issue here is confusing an insurance valuation with a 'real' valuation, the insurance one has to take into account the cost of you replacing the car with a like for like model. Typically this about 40%(ish) higher than its true value, it takes into account your time and expenses in finding another similar car.

Values fluctuate with the time of year and a valuation around this time will always be lower than one in the spring. Colours and current trend(fads?) have a huge effect on the value as well.

Ebay prices are a good guide but sometimes aren't as reliable as you'd think, the amount of cars that 'sell' on there and then re-appear a few weeks later are quite common. If you filter out all the buy it nows and classifieds you get a bit of a better feel for whats happening.

£2k is a tricky ceiling to break price wise for most cars as £2k sounds a lot more money than £1850 to most buyers and the next hurdle is the £2.5k and for a car to genuinely get into this territory its got to be spot on, proper vented sills, good-excellent paint and a popular spec.

Obviously there are exceptions and if you're lucky you get 2 drunken ebayers fighting it out and you end up with a big wad of cash.

So after all that I'd have said an insurance value of around the £4.5k mark and then a true value of about the £2750 mark. If I owned the car and was offered £5k for it I'd have snapped their hands off!!

Its a bit unfair to ask for peoples opinions of the value and then bite back when you don't like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users