#1 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hello All,

As I am receiving my ZCARS kit tomorrow I think it is now good time to start sharing some build pictures and progress. I will be building the first diesel ZCARS Mini. The idea came a couple of months ago as there was some discussion on a Dutch kitcar forum about diesel engines in kit cars (thats right, I am from the Netherlands). I have always wanted to build a ZCARS mini and now the time is right to start. Previously I have built a Tiger S6 and a GTM Libra, here a little picture.

Attached File  P1010481.jpg   69.71K   97 downloads

The GTM Libra runs on a Honda K20 engine. Still have the car, there is too much time and effort in it to sell it.

The shell for the mini is looking good, as with every mini lots of rust but after a thorough sand blasting and welding in new body parts here is the status today. I am by no means a good welder but this time i am seriously proud of myself getting this done :D

Attached File  IMG_20121111_163117.jpg   56.19K   54 downloads

Here a picture for the frame last week when it was still with ZCARS:

Attached File  20213_528946327135438_1136495620_n.jpg   84.96K   199 downloads

More to follow in the next few weeks...

Rgds, Coen

#2 brum,brum,mike

brum,brum,mike

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Looking good,

Out of interest whats the difference in weight between the deisel engine your using and a honda vtec? And power comparison?

Good luck :P

#3 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Don't know exactly but it will be heavier. I had the ECU for the TDI engine flashed to run 200Bhp and 400Nm torque, so they are roughly the same Bhp but torque in the TDI engine must be fantastic in a small car like this. The VW TDI 1.9 engines are known to be very reliable on stock internals up to 230Bhp.

The characteristics for the TDI engine will be so much different than the K20 which will make it hard to compare but I will let you know as soon as I am there to test it...

#4 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like an Exellent idea! Diesel engines are now starting to overtake petrol engines in terms if power and torque, cars such as the BM m5 the diesel engines are better!

Will follow the thread!

#5 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Plus diesel engines are more thermally efficient and thus run cooler which is good for a rear engined kit like your mini as it wont be such a pain keeping her cool.

sounds like a nice project and I will be following this (even if I think diesels are the engine of satan himself :P )

Edited by Alex_B, 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#6 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

This is going to be a neat build. I'm really looking forward to following it.

#7 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

The Vtec is 190kg and the VW Diesel is 220kg we had to weigh them to work out spring rates

#8 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

What size tubing is that main hoop? It looks huge!

Cheers
David

#9 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Twice the weight you can get from an a-series :ohno:

Looks pretty sweet though, I take it, this is a one-off?

I look forward to seeing it being built up :thumbsup:

#10 yannick de brabander

yannick de brabander

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hello All,

As I am receiving my ZCARS kit tomorrow I think it is now good time to start sharing some build pictures and progress. I will be building the first diesel ZCARS Mini. The idea came a couple of months ago as there was some discussion on a Dutch kitcar forum about diesel engines in kit cars (thats right, I am from the Netherlands). I have always wanted to build a ZCARS mini and now the time is right to start. Previously I have built a Tiger S6 and a GTM Libra, here a little picture.

Attached File  P1010481.jpg   69.71K   97 downloads

The GTM Libra runs on a Honda K20 engine. Still have the car, there is too much time and effort in it to sell it.

The shell for the mini is looking good, as with every mini lots of rust but after a thorough sand blasting and welding in new body parts here is the status today. I am by no means a good welder but this time i am seriously proud of myself getting this done :D

Attached File  IMG_20121111_163117.jpg   56.19K   54 downloads

Here a picture for the frame last week when it was still with ZCARS:

Attached File  20213_528946327135438_1136495620_n.jpg   84.96K   199 downloads

More to follow in the next few weeks...

Rgds, Coen

Hey Coen,
succes met het bouwen! laat af en toe een paar nieuwe pics zien he ;)
Grtz
Yannick

#11 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

wheelies!!

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Good luck with the build, I will and I am sure the guys on here will also help you as much as they can with any questions you may have. As the first diesel build I think you're gonna get a lot of interest. Just think of the mpg this thing will get and be fast to boot.

#13 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

hello all,

The kit arrived yesterday in a big crate from Z-Cars. Looks good and now it's time to start building.

Attached File  IMG_20121212_172200.jpg   59.13K   162 downloads

After unpacking and checking stuff started work today on the brakes. First question coming up right away....

I have a Z-Cars big brake kit which assembles with the front hubs as one big assembly. After I tighten the castle-nut all of it gets really tight and it is very hard to spin the disk (even with the caliper off). Is this a problem with the bearings or does this just have to wear in?

Thx, Coen

#14 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

they are tapered bearings, don't over tighten them. tighten them until there is no play on the wheel but the wheel should turn freely. if you over tighten them, they will over heat and seize within a matter of miles on the road. also make sure you pack the bearings properly with grease prior to assembly.

Ed

Edited by edsmini, 13 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#15 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Ed, that makes sense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users