#1 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

As the search is rusted up and wont even turn over with a 24 volt battery I will ask.

Has anyone used the alloy head thats on ebay US? if so what is it like? well made?
what power and torques it pushing?

#2 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

As far as I can tell, most of the alloy 7-port heads are essentially the same - based on the old AKM head - with the same massive ports aimed at high rpm power for racing use..

The exception is the SC billet one, which is a much more sensible option.

#3 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Pm summs116, I recall his one coming from somewhere outside of the UK. Maybe USA.

#4 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I've been wondering the exact same thing. At £1700ish for the SC one, the ebay head looks like a bargain, even if it doesn't produce that last 2bhp that the perfected ports may do with the dearer one.

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

why not go the whole hog and 8 port....much more power........ :proud:

#6 afrance94

afrance94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

if your goin the whole hog get a 16v kad engine lol

#7 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

its for a 970, I think 8 ports winning. but then again you can just drop that head on the block, you have to work the engine as well, which brings me back to which head. if i have to rework the engine then ......

#8 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Well the alloy head from sc car parts,webcon,and med are all from the same place from the us,there come very basic from the us and I spent an extra £750 on getting the valve seats and spring base heights the same and a lot more porting and shaping as it is rough.thats why med are more expensive but far better,as they sort them out.

For instance I had a 1380 296 cam steel bottom end twin 45s and bolted that head on and only had 107bhp with 93 torque so pulled the head off and had that head work done bolted straight back on at Slarks and 133bhp without a set up,got 139.8 bhp with 107 torque by the end,
My rally 8 port 1293 649 cam profile cooper s engine is 120 bhp with 108 torque but so drive able it's like standerd 1275.
There again my engine builder had his 8 port is 142bhp with 119 torque and still very drivable but my god it flys.few£££ tho

The 7/8 port are good but bad in the same time,its cheap to get the 110/120 bhp and very driveable,but a lot of money for the extra 20 or so, but my new 5 port is so much faster than my old 7 port and has more power but so indri able on the roads it crap,but its a track car.

#9 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

summs116, thank you for that info,
I have a 1380 racer that spec is not for the road,
As you say BHP cost lots of £££ or $$$$.
I would want to see 130 bhp and arond 110 lbs torque so the 8 port wins now weres my check book LOL.

#10 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Vizards book has an interesting point re the 7port vs 8port in the fact that the Siamese exhaust port on the 7port can actually increase the power output.

Plus the fact you can run standard lcb, the usual array of cams, and rocker gear as a 5 port so it brings the costs down considerably in comparison to the 8 port.

I'm getting 150 out of my 1380 7 port and it's a road car and very driveable! It's got an original AKM head on it and before anyone says it's got 45mm inlets, no it hasn't it has 40mm inlets and I have the documentation from AKM to prove it! ;-)

Edited by Orange-Phantom, 13 February 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#11 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I wish I ran 40 instead of 45s aswell.
As for your 970 all I can remember was that when my dads rally mini had an 970 8port he said it was all revs with no pull so always had to keep it above 7000 rpm.

#12 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Mine's actually got a pair of DCOE 38's on it, the 7 port AKM head has less than 40mm manifold inlet openings but there is a-lot of misinformation out there saying the inlet manifold is 45mm.

#13 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was in Denmark, and spoke with one of the men behind the AKM head, was intresting to hear the stories he told me.
which edition is the 7/8 ports in? I seem to not have that in the 3rd.
That is one plus with the 7 port using all the normal bits, you can change back should you find its floating your boat as it were.
with the 8 its needs special parts which i happen to have but all the same.
This does make me wonder what the K100 8v head would work like on the 970.

#14 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

For instance I had a 1380 296 cam steel bottom end twin 45s and bolted that head on and only had 107bhp with 93 torque so pulled the head off and had that head work done bolted straight back on at Slarks and 133bhp without a set up,got 139.8 bhp with 107 torque by the end,

Was that 107bhp out of the box or after teh carbs etc were all set up?

twin 45's sound too big to me- get better fuel atomisation with twin 40's?

I'm just wondering, for 120bhp it sounds cheaper to use a dogs danglies modified 5 port head, and you won't have any issues with scrutineering etc if non homologised.

To be honest I was expecting someone to say that the ebay alloy 7 port bolted on with twin 40's would make 120bhp, modified +10-20 more, I think I'm going to stick with a 5 port for now!

#15 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

TCC, I have the dogs on my race mini, I was not thinking of racing the 970 just want a barking road car.
I have been in contact with the Ebay head company as of yet no answer!
I would be using Dellorto twin 40s nice carb for the road. cam would be 285/6. maybe an old skool 648.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users