87 replies to this topic

#16 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Also this hub with the new bearing, is the original hub to the car and is only its second wheel bearing change. As the original bearings were changed a few years back for genuine ones and now with this non-gen set.

I never had any problems with the hub/wheel bearing, it was just as the brakes had run hot enough to turn the inside of the brake drum blue, I'd thought it best to replace (next time I might not bother) also I don't drift in new bearings, instead I used a large socket to tap them in.

I'll have a play tomorrow with the old and new bearings and hub and see what I find. I did notice that the outer races of the new bearings were noticeably thinner than the genuine ones I'd removed though.

#17 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'll also add this...

http://www.theminifo...aring-question/

#18 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Nice ******* response from minimine. Will add that to the list of companies I avoid!

To be fair to Mini Mine, they have a very good reputation. Search on here and you won't find much negative about them.

#19 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Does this include the bearings marked FHBC KOR?

As I have just received some of them :-(

Edit: This is the box they came in 

null_zpse82f70f3.jpg

Edited by HarrysMini, 17 September 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#20 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

oh well better make a phone call in the morning.............. and also a problem is Q H are no longer in business

dave

#21 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

These are the ones I've got the issues with... (ps excuse my thumb)

9789217305_25825f89c8_z.jpg

9789216805_26a00e16dd_z.jpg

9789214815_a4ba942125_z.jpg

9789231304_b0bca6628d_z.jpg

Edited by 1984mini25, 17 September 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#22 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

That's exactly the same as mine. I'll try sending them back, but we all know Minisport customer service. I'm not holding my breath for a refund.

#23 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

if you notice in the second pick, the sticker with the part number is stuck on over the top of another sticker. Well I've just been carefully pealing away at the sticker to reveal the number beneath witch is GHK 1026/kit055. Witch after a quick google comes back as a jaguar wheel bearing kit.

#24 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

9789956925_5383fc84ae_z.jpg

#25 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have also had a reply to a message I sent minimine via eBay...

We disagree with your statement "GHK 1548/kit002 are cheap Chinese rubbish, aren’t fit for purpose and are potentially unsafe to use", these are not Genuine Rover or Timkin bearings we are selling and the price/ description reflects this, but these are a reproduction version as sold by nearly all Classic mini companies.

Thats total rubbish. REPRO??

We're talking about wheel bearings, theres no such a thing as original or repro, but theres a thing called SPECIFICATION.

LM67049A.

Its a bearing that a lot of cars use.

If it doesnt follow specification, it shouldnt be even marked as that!

by the way yes, old hubs have a tendecy to not hold bearings properly, i'd fit a new one as a precaution.

#26 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Does this include the bearings marked FHBC KOR?

As I have just received some of them :-(

Edit: This is the box they came in 

null_zpse82f70f3.jpg

Thats the box, but i think they're boxed from the importer, and he uses different suppliers.

Thats why i posted the code factory stamped on the inner race.

#27 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well it looks like I'd be getting nowhere with minimine and for an £11 bearing it would probably hardly be worth it. but I for one will never be using them again and hopefully a few people reading this might do the same too.

I still have the slightly worn/used genuine rear bearing and I'll knock out the 'repo' one out of the hub and try playing around with both and see what I find. My guessing though is the built in spacer on the 'repo' bearings isn't thick enough.

Edited by 1984mini25, 17 September 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#28 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

The box these bearings came in has one of the main signs that they are cheap counterfeit parts. Specifically, it does not have the name of a known reputable bearing manufacturer on it. (No-one but a large, competent bearing manufacturer has the capability to make rolling element bearings of acceptable quality. It cannot be done in some cottage industry in China.) You should never, ever, buy anything like that. But likely if you bought them on line or by phone or mail you would have no way of knowing, so you have no choice.

The blame does lie entirely with the supplier, who must know that the parts they are supplying are bogus. They have not used due diligence, and most likely could face criminal charges, all the way up to corporate manslaughter, if one of their products caused an accident. I get the impression that some parts suppliers are managed by complete idiots, who are neither capable of behaving responsibly not understanding the possible consequences for them if they do not. As long as they make their fat profit, of course.

I would strongly recommend reporting this to Trading Standards, who have the power to investigate the supply chain and prosecute whoever committed the fraud, because fraud it is.

It is easy for me to say this because I work in an industry where we are all trained to spot bogus parts, but how is the average person supposed to know? And if in my two most recent jobs (aircraft and nuclear), we were finding that we were getting counterfeit parts through carefully managed supply chains, how is the average person going to avoid such stuff? I personally have seen a batch of electronic components which were not what they seemed to be, and nearly got into a nuclear control system. It makes me sick, this whole business of counterfeit parts. It is recognised in the aircraft industry that sooner or later a jumbo jet will crash because of a bogus part, despite all the checks which the maintenance companies apply. A serious disaster like that might just make the scumbag politicians who know about this and tolerate it finally take action against China, the root of the problem. Meanwhile, we have no way of knowing just how many high tensile bolts, holding important things together, are actually mild steel.....

#29 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

The box these bearings came in has one of the main signs that they are cheap counterfeit parts. Specifically, it does not have the name of a known reputable bearing manufacturer on it. (No-one but a large, competent bearing manufacturer has the capability to make rolling element bearings of acceptable quality. It cannot be done in some cottage industry in China.) You should never, ever, buy anything like that. But likely if you bought them on line or by phone or mail you would have no way of knowing, so you have no choice.

At least the likes of minisport openly use the part number of the bearings as the reference number, unlike some...

http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/171123245803

#30 klivins

klivins

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Local Club: minimania.lv

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Just to see whats what i have fitted RH front with Timken (what came in a plastic bag) and LH with 13 quid set from flee bay. Lets see how they perform. I suggest however it might be years before I need to change one or another.
By the looks of it, Timken had much more expensive French labour put into the spacer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users