#571 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

Just been trough this, awesome build
Shame that the steel bonnet didn’t work out. I like the look of the steel one more.
Subscribed and hope to see more great updates, keep up the good work

Thanks for your kind words, and yes I agree the steel would be better, the GRP one is really not too bad but I may try again one day!

To echo what lots of people have said, amazing build thread and attention to detail!

Whenever I fell like cutting corners I'm going to say to myself "what would alchall do?".

What size is your garage out of interest? I have serious envy!

Thanks as well! garage is around about 5.5m x 5.5m I think, a fairly standard double for a new build house these days, it's a real luxury though having started off in a single garage almost 5 years ago!

Nice restore amd rebuild. 

Thankyou!

#572 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Time for a bit of an update, I decided to try plan C for bonnet clearance (or is it D? I've lost count), but before I come to that I did a bit of work to tidy up wiring loom routing around the front of the engine bay, just needed a couple of notches and it all runs nicely up inside the top of the front panel....

mini-1029.jpg

And I decided to try rubnuts  (like rivnuts but rubber that are a flexible and temporary fit) for the wiper motor mounts, the square holes were in poor shape and needed correcting so drilling out holes and trying these out wasn't much or a risk, and it works well I think....

mini-1030.jpg

I see other people have modified the subframe to lower the engine to clear the bonnet so this is what I thought I'd try this time out, I found a subframe locally that is in good condition and cheap, it's also pre-SPI so the engine sits further back in the engine bay which I thought might help.

I made a jig so I could ensure new holes ended up I the right place, didn't take one before I cut but here it is after cutting.....

mini-1031.jpg

I cut out sections from around the mounting holes to drop it down and to work out by how much wider I thought I needed the subframe to be in order to drop the engine by about 15 - 20mm which is about where I'd worked out it would need to be to just clear the bonnet skin at the highest point, I used the old bonnet I tried modifying with the hump cut out to check this. It seemed to be about 3mm at each side so I decided to err on the side of caution and add in 5mm at each side which I could then fill in with some sheet steel of a thickness required to bring the engine up to it's maximum.

So I cut U shaped sections of 5mm steel to fit in the gaps I had cut, welded in place, then welded on a 2.5mm sheet on the outside which I could then drop the jig into and use it to drill new holes.

mini-1032.jpg

I installed the subframe and dropped the engine back in to see how it fit, actually I found the engine to now be much lower than I anticipated (clearly I didn't do a very good job of measuring how far I needed to go widening the subframe at the mounting points).

No real problem though I just tried a few shims to edge the engine upwards to work out what thickness of sheet steel I need to fill in each side to mount it as I wanted. Actually I could have probably dispensed with the U shape entirely and simply welded on a plate to the outside having cut the openings (more on this to follow). with 4mm plates on the inside this is where it ends up....

mini-1033.jpg

Then in with the new bonnet to see what I need to do with the ribbing so it doesn't foul the cam cover, it needs a bit at the front plus a notch on one side at the rear to cater for the oil filler cap, this is how it looks, bit it's not quite right, needs a small mod at one side of the front.

mini-1037.jpg

I've filled it out with 4mm sheet steel and drilled holes for the mounts and the engine drops in nicely, the bonnet closes with no fouling and there's a good clearance everywhere....

mini-1038.jpg

mini-1034.jpg

mini-1035.jpg

mini-1036.jpg

However, I've decided to go back to my SPI subframe and do the same modification but without the U shaped inserts, I think this will clear the bonnet and will cure the one problem I now have which is the exhaust headers are tricky to get in as the engine is that bit further back in the bay.

In the mean time I decided to work on a modification I've been thinking about to more securely fit my dash, it's designed to fit in a car that is fully built and has little fittings that turn to lock it in place up against the inside of the top and bottom dash rails. This is OK as it means it can be fitted without causing damage but they're prone to bending and I feel it pulls the dash too far back in the middle and at the bottom, it's kind of OK but means the clocks will be a bit obscured at the top. Example of the fixings as it came, there's two of the lugs on each of the 4 mounting points....

mini-1040.jpg

So I made up some small brackets with two bolts welded in to replace the four fixings on the rear of the dash, then 4 opposing mounts that to fit to the car onto which the dash will fit and can be bolted into place.

mini-1039.jpg

mini-1041.jpg

The new mounts for the car, these are the ones for the sides, central ones are similar but I made them up later and didn't take a photo before fitting.

mini-1042.jpg

I fitted the outer mounts to the car first, this was a bit fiddly and I had to re-do one of them as it wasn't quite right, but I'd only tack welded them in place anticipating it not going perfectly. The inners were much easier to do once I had the outers in place, partly because clamping them in place was possible unlike the outers. Here they are all tacked in place....

mini-1043.jpg

And the dash fitted and bolted in, I"m very pleased with this! they're all now securely welded in place and cleaned up.

mini-1044.jpg

The last thing I did just today was to try fitting my tweeters into the top of the dash, originally I thought this wouldn't be possible hence my earlier post about mounting to the door but I realised while I was doing the dash mounts that there was actually a lot of space between the padded rail and the top rail of the car, the padded rail is damaged anyway so thought I'd experiment, and it works, I'll just need to make up some kind of bracket ot bond to the underside to fix in place....

mini-1045.jpg

mini-1046.jpg

#573 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

some nice work going on there

will you be fitting a sump guard ? 

#574 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

some nice work going on there

will you be fitting a sump guard ? 

Thanks, I'm pleased generally, there's some things in hindsight I would have done differently for the better and a couple of things I want to correct before I call it done.

Good question re: sump guard, I've thought about this but not concluded, the engine is lower but not by a huge amount but still means greater risk of damage, but no more so than cars that are lowered and I don't intend to run it very low. Downside of sump guard I think is reduced airflow and risk of increased oil temperature, so needs some more thought, I guess I could run with one and if temps are an issue remove it or add an oil cooler.

#575 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

Another great project I found on here, great work that engine will be fun ??

#576 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

i dont know how i havent see this before great project with similaire panel replacement to my own  keep it up

#577 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

i dont know how i havent see this before great project with similaire panel replacement to my own  keep it up

Thanks!

Do you have a build thread of your own?

#578 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Nice work on the dash brackets, and front subby....must be getting close to paint time.

#579 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

Nice work on the dash brackets, and front subby....must be getting close to paint time.

Thanks, getting closer, but I've still a couple of problems to rectify first, just a matter of finding the time!

#580 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

Thanks!

Do you have a build thread of your own?

yes its a bit all over the place  and ime working in a tight space have 2 foot either side of it to work but irts getting there ...... budget rebuild

#581 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

I've made some good progress now with the subframe and bonnet mods....

I went back to my SPI subframe and tried out a simpler plating conversion to drop the engine, I simply cut out the area where the mounts fit and added a straightforward plate to the outside rather than adding in extra material to extend the gap and drop the engine as far as I had with the other subframe.

I created a new jig to suit, cut out the mounting sections (as small as I dared), and mocked this all up to see how it fit and how far it dropped, it's around 13mm drop which I thought was about right!

mini-1047.jpeg

mini-1048.jpeg

I also took this opportunity to open up the "layers" of the subframe in this area as they had become badly rusted, particularly on the driver side where brake fluid has caused a lot of rot, a lot of Deox Gel over a number of days did a good job in here and I was able to bend the outer plate out far enough to get a long way in and then bend it back perfectly flat afterwards fixing it back with a plug and a seam weld.

Deox Gel working it's magic....

mini-1049.jpeg

I welded the plates (not fully, in case this was a failure, but enough to hold it solid for a test fit) and checked the jig for a good fit and to drill the holes for the mounts....

mini-1054.jpeg

mini-1052.jpeg

All good, so I whipped the engine and subframe out of the car, fitted this one and dropped the engine back in, it worked a treat, it clears the bonnet (only about 5mm at the highest point of the cam cover but with good clearance everywhere else including the cam belt, it also fits better front to back although I will make some further modification to the cross member to give more clearance to the exhaust headers.

mini-1056.jpeg

mini-1057.jpeg

mini-1055.jpeg

I'm really pleased with this now, it's taken a lot of time effort and money to get to this stage but I think it's worked out for the best, it should like like it was all made to fit and certainly not any kind of botch job!

Talking of which the one thing I've been worried about is how messy the whole breather arrangement was going to be, so having given this much thought I decided to take a different path, I had picked up a cheap oil catch tank which I'd mounted under the passenger wing and routed oil pipes from the three breather points to it, all a bit heath robinson! 

So I picked up a different (also cheap) smaller catch tank, this one will fit in the engine bay, it has two inlets and one outlet and is baffled and has a washable filter, I'll run the outlet to the breather pipe on the throttle bodies so it becomes a closed system, albeit with catch can rather than venting out under the wing.

I got some oil resistant 90 degree bends and t pieces, some of which are also reducers so I can run the pipework, the outlet on the head and the back of the engine are 10mm and the outlet on the crank case 12mm (actually 1/2 inch) so I ran the 10mm outlets into a 12mm pipe then onto one inlet on the tank, a 12mm pipe straight from crank case to catch can then there's the outlet that runs over to the underside of the throttle bodies.

After some fiddling and cutting of pipes to get it all to fit snugly this actually worked out quite nicely, looks again like it was more or less mean to be rather than a botch so this should be a good result, I'll get some better pipe for final fit.

mini-1050.jpeg

mini-1051.jpeg

The can has a drain plug at the bottom, so I can also run a pipe from this with a small tap on it so I can empty it without taking it apart inside the engine bay where it's going to be rather tight when the servo and brake master is back in place (I know it will fit!).

I've not quite worked out the fuel hose routing, I might run hard lines across the bulkhead and cut the braided hose short so they meet there, I wasn't entirely happy simply routing them over the top of the exhaust headers due to heat, this way I can put them a little more clear of the heat.

The other thing I've decided to do is fit brackets for an oil cooler, I've bought a small 10 row cooler, if I fit the brackets now and test it all for good fit (also need to work out how to fit an oil stat) then I can either run with or without and not have to worry about fitting it at a later stage with no easy means of mounting it, it should all fit nicely in the space between engine block and grille.

That's all for now...

I'll need to get the engine back out next to complete the subframe (more welding of those plates plus a second skin on the pates for strength (decided two lots of 2.5mm would be easier to deal with than 5mm sheet!!)

#582 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

that's coming along very nicely indeed.  

i think you're right about hardlines across the bulkhead; would make for tidier looking install

i believe you can get sandwich plates that fit to the existing oil filter housing with thermostat and takeoffs for a cooler - don't know much about them but might be an option 

#583 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:48 PM

Cracking work.. be very proud...

#584 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

that's coming along very nicely indeed.  

i think you're right about hardlines across the bulkhead; would make for tidier looking install

i believe you can get sandwich plates that fit to the existing oil filter housing with thermostat and takeoffs for a cooler - don't know much about them but might be an option 

You can get takeoffs that fit not between filter housing and filter, the problem with them is that you have to use a small filter otherwise it doesn't fit properly and I'm not sure about a short oil filter, instinct tells me that would be a bad thing.

Cracking work.. be very proud...

Thanks!!

#585 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Nice work on the front subby, I should have gone down that road, but I was concerned that the engine would sit to low, as my car will be lowered and running on 10" wheels.

Totally agree with you on the hard pipes, was looking at doing that as well, so I will be keeping an eye on what you do, not quite ready to restart my project, as I'm still working on my house extension.

Where are you planning on putting your oil cooler? You should look at Merlinmotorsport website for all your oil cooler bits.

Edited by 72hump, 04 February 2020 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users