39 replies to this topic

#16 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

Fibre boot lined up, not the best fit, had to wrap tape round to increase the curve in the boot whilst fixing.

DSCF3320_zps3d694a2c.jpg

Had a couple different brackets laser cut today so will see which is best to use. First time using Dzus fasteners so took a little trial and error but was fairly straightforward.

DSCF3325_zpscb808e2e.jpg

DSCF3328_zps96e7f030.jpg

DSCF3330_zpsb384111c.jpg

DSCF3337_zpse910f858.jpg

Had to weld the odd hole up and re-drill but I wanted the slots on the fasteners to line up with the fixings.

Using bolts for mock fit up but will rivet after paint.

DSCF3340_zpsfcadd699.jpg

DSCF3341_zpsc36960b4.jpg

DSCF3342_zps54c502ff.jpg

DSCF3343_zps8da79e68.jpg

DSCF3344_zps91e1a6cf.jpg

DSCF3338_zpsa8045e3c.jpg

Just got to weld it up now. Hope to have a couple big updates over the next week or two.

#17 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

Nice progress

#18 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Looking really good and nice to see you have set yourself a realistic time frame.

Do you have or plan to get fabrication tools such as lathe, drill press etc?

I fancy a homebrew front bike engine conversion.

#19 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

Looking really good and nice to see you have set yourself a realistic time frame.
Do you have or plan to get fabrication tools such as lathe, drill press etc?
I fancy a homebrew front bike engine conversion.

Cheers buddy. I'm by no means in any hurry for it, I'm going to love using it but the build is the best bit!

Edited by Sawyer, 13 March 2022 - 07:54 PM.

#20 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

DSCF3347_zpsad654126.jpg

DSCF3357_zpsd7e3bb02.jpg

DSCF33492_zps7b2c02d2.jpg

#21 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

An absolutely huge milestone on this build journey, and it arrived yesterday in form of 175HP 16 valve 1999 Hayabusa motor and everything required to run it. Found it last Monday from an absolutely top bloke I found on eBay called Chris. He builds race engines/bikes and breaks them too. The bike was complete, fired up straight away and sounded great. I'm super excited to get on with fabricating my framework now and full cage. I was a bit too late to get my tube ordered so will have to wait until after Christmas until I can make much progress but until then I have some bodywork to continue with and going to clean the engine up and find my way around it. Going to order myself a Haynes for it too . 

DSCF3399_zpsddbd0533.jpg

DSCF3404_zps3938d4a6.jpg

#22 Spaceibiza

Spaceibiza

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Good purchase there my friend! This is going to be one epic mini once it's done!

#23 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Cheers buddy! Cannot wait to get the bodywork done then make a start on the motor.

#24 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

So the engine has been tidied up and now with the help of my sparky father am trying to get it running. Its obviously minus a few things now its out the bike, ie Speedometer, Kick stand switch, Ignition switch/barrel, clutch switch. That's as far as I'm aware all that's missing, we have fitted a push button switch to the starter button wiring, we have bridged the kill switch using chocky blocks. Bypassed kick stand switch and the clutch switch with a chocky block. I have read elsewhere about resistors and am going to purchase and fit a 100ohm resistor across the Orange/Yellow ignition wire to earth. We have a healthy click from the fuel pump relay when the ignition is switched on. The engine turns over on the starter but we are getting no power to the fuel pump or ignition.

Should I expect to hear the fuel pump priming once the ignition is switched on?

1999 Gsx1300r standard loom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#25 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Update: I fitted a 100ohm resistor across the Orange/Yellow wire from the ignition plug to the Black/White wire (earth) and the fuel pump primed for approx 3 seconds so that worked a dream. A little petrol and a funnel and it fired right up! Result

#26 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Had a busy start to the year and found little time for the mini but now cracking back on with it. I have been doing lots of research on frames, diffs and brake setups. Had a great weekend in Brighton on the 16th to the 18th and last weekend picked up a Sierra 3.62 LSD and a twin exit header for the engine so now I have the choice of twin or single.

Currently doing the diff oil can and getting sleeves made for the diff to allow fitment of metric pillow block bearings. (50mm)

DSCF4360_zpspsw4vh7q.jpg

DSCF4365_zps8widlbdm.jpg

I absolutely want to use 10" wheels for this build but am struggling to determine what brakes to use. Is the Cooper s 7.5" 4 pots the way to go? I have a set of metro 4 pots which have done no more than 500 miles. However I know to use these to go under 10s requires grinding the calliper and I don't think that's a route I want to go down. As far as the backs its going to be Sierra rear hubs and hopefully sierra discs and callipers but I am not sure yet as to whether I can squeeze these under 10s, with or without spacers possible? Anyone with any experience using these or seen it done please share your thoughts and any opinions. (Just to note I will be re-machining the drive flanges to accept the 4" PCD the mini uses)

#27 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have standard sierra rear disk brakes on my mini, they will only just go under a handful of 13" wheels so you have no chance at all with 10"s. The biggest disc brakes that will fit under 10"s are about 7.9" which is about 200mm, my sierra brakes are 253mm

#28 Sawyer

Sawyer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

I have standard sierra rear disk brakes on my mini, they will only just go under a handful of 13" wheels so you have no chance at all with 10"s. The biggest disc brakes that will fit under 10"s are about 7.9" which is about 200mm, my sierra brakes are 253mm

I have been looking at the sierra discs and the dimensions, I was hoping it might be possible to machine the discs to suit (provided there would be enough left!) but of course with the calliper its perhaps all too much, cooper S 4 pots all round maybe? haha

Will be disappointed if I can't use 10's, good excuse to get another run around mini so I can have standard setup with 10's on :D

#29 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

There wouldn't be enough meet to machine the sierra disc small enough. But you could probably use a sierra calliper on a mini disc, you could definitely come up with a way to use discs all round on a 10" mini if that is the route you want to go

David

#30 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

I have been looking at the sierra discs and the dimensions, I was hoping it might be possible to machine the discs to suit (provided there would be enough left!) but of course with the calliper its perhaps all too much, cooper S 4 pots all round maybe? haha

Will be disappointed if I can't use 10's, good excuse to get another run around mini so I can have standard setup with 10's on :D

and what tires on 10" ??? 165/70/10 Yoko A032, they will be smoked up in a second....

minimum dunlop miglia slick 160/490 needed, but wider 190 or even more from hoosier would be the only tyre that would suit in 10"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users