#496 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Newton Commercial want me to ring tomorrow to go through options of fitting. I've a feeling they're going to back out of sending me a replacement.

I had an issue with my NC seat covers not fitting correctly and have to say their customer service was great - they ended up re-making and fitting all the covers for me

Will see what they say later. I hate ringing companies to talk about their parts then they try and run me into doing something i don't want to.

#497 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

How are you going to deal with your fuse board and the carpet - cut round it and put a cover over it?  Engine bay is looking great. 

The fuse box is simple, its just cutting 2 slits to allow the carpet to go in between the mounts. On the original, there's a massive chunk cut out to go over it, which I always thought looks crap!

#498 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

Had a look back through the thread but it didn't jump out at me.  Which ally radiator did you go for?

#499 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Had a look back through the thread but it didn't jump out at me.  Which ally radiator did you go for?

A series spares.

#500 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Newton Commercial. I've got in touch with them today about it, they're working on it.

Same happened me with an MPI. Sorted it with some very careful trimming. The height of the centre bits above the crossmember was very dissapointing too. Got round it by making filler pieces for the gaps and bonding them in.

#501 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Newton Commercial. I've got in touch with them today about it, they're working on it.

Same happened me with an MPI. Sorted it with some very careful trimming. The height of the centre bits above the crossmember was very dissapointing too. Got round it by making filler pieces for the gaps and bonding them in.

It's the way I've sorted it now. Spoke to Shaun at Newton Commercial this afternoon, he kindly talked through options with me which I openly tried on the basis that if it still didn't work, he'd replace it. I seem to have got it sorted now!

#502 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

Just out of interest given you're going to blow it, why didn't you go the 11 stud route?

#503 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Just out of interest given you're going to blow it, why didn't you go the 11 stud route?

I've got 11 studs in the head just in case. However from the research i've done with the compression ratio and the boost i'll be running, head lift won't be a factor. However.. should it cause an issue, i'll have the block drilled in situ with a mag drill with my tail between my legs lol.

The head and block were done at different times by different people. For it to be right i'd need them both doing at the same time. As i said, its a future option.

Edited by Steve220, 26 April 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#504 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Coming along nicely. Such a clean build!

#505 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

Thanks!

The love/hate relationship with this car continues. As mentioned previously, i managed to get the carpet sorted! Its now all glued in and sitting quite nice. I bought some fabric spray dye too as felt some areas were a bit 'grey' rather than black. Will get pictures of that some other time.

9ri7lc2.jpg

Got the O rings for the indicators - for some reason mine didn't have any!

JPN3U0S.jpg

3rd brake light wired into the N/S rear brake light and earthed at the point underneath.

7dbeBio.jpg

FINALLY got my brake pads too, been trying to get a hold of a set of Ferodo pads for months and these eventually came up at a good price. Chopped off the sensor wires

gDhh4vf.jpg

Rear lights going on! I REALLY don't like the way the 'new' seals fit against the light housing and the body. May have to re-think that as i feel it may let water in still.

bnWnDn2.jpg

Filled the clutch master cylinder and managed to bleed it by myself (which i was amazed at!). Operates nicely throughout its 6.5mm throw! However, i moved onto checking all the brake lines, making sure all were tight and secure. Filled the master cylinder and went for some lunch. On returning I found the right hand union on the proportion valve was leaking all over the engine bay and a pool of fluid was over the floor. Out came the soapy water to get rid of it all! Once dry i took this pic, you can just see the weeping. I drained the fluid and removed the hose, using one of my mum's old nail files, i flattened all the paint etc on the face and refitted. Seems to have done the trick!

dAvBold.jpg

After some sorting out in the garage i found more parts I could fit to the engine whilst at this point, so alternator was slapped on, belt fitted and tensioned and mock fitted the turbo and inlet!

P7RPuyT.jpg

I stuck it in 4th and got the engine turning over so i could set the valve gaps; 0.32mm all round (12 thou). Then stuck the rocker cover on.... because i could! I love this next photo. Its currently my desktop background on my laptop lol

4DZ3GXV.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Edited by Steve220, 26 April 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#506 gadget555

gadget555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

Great progress!

#507 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

That engine bay looks fantastic!

Apart from the DSN thermostat housing it looks like it's just rolled of the production line.

#508 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:54 AM

That engine bay looks fantastic!
Apart from the DSN thermostat housing it looks like it's just rolled of the production line.

Thanks Graeme! Its how I was trying to keep it, however Im moving onto the hard part now where Ive got to get the charge cooler in!!

#509 dave_39

dave_39

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

Project is coming along nicely.  I have been keeping an eye on it ever since I first saw this a few months back.

its a real shame the carpet was such a pig.  I've always kept the mpi carpet as nothing aftermarket ever fits as good.  provided the carpet is in good condition and can be cleaned up.

Do you have a target or an idea when you will have it finished.  I would budget a good amount of time to get the tuning right.

#510 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Project is coming along nicely.  I have been keeping an eye on it ever since I first saw this a few months back.

its a real shame the carpet was such a pig.  I've always kept the mpi carpet as nothing aftermarket ever fits as good.  provided the carpet is in good condition and can be cleaned up.

Do you have a target or an idea when you will have it finished.  I would budget a good amount of time to get the tuning right.

Hi Dave,

No time frame at the moment as seem to be constantly messed around by ebay companies, parts not fitting correctly/or missing and time off. I've been lucky this week as i've had a week solidly to work on the car. The car is hopefully being mapped at EFi in Cheshire at the end of all this, however, that's a long way off as i've a lot of wiring to do and a custom forward section of the exhaust needs making.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users