838 replies to this topic

#511 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:23 PM

I've been offline for a week due to the arrival of our little sleep-thief, but progress is looking good Steve! Engine bay is going to look very tidy.

#512 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

I've been offline for a week due to the arrival of our little sleep-thief, but progress is looking good Steve! Engine bay is going to look very tidy.

Thanks mate! Getting to the slow part again, wiring, custom pipework etc!

Speaking of which, got a brake fluid leak from the proportion valve, turned out the seats were pitted. Made a quick change to that!

m6lIlBy.jpg

NskL54b.jpg

Banjo bolts refitted and, so far, no leaks! Moved onto the windcreen - i was really dreading this. Poor Pete (Petrol) had to put up with me asking millions of questions on the phone :lol: It took 3 minutes!

r7NoOYR.jpg

gMNJYmO.jpg

Now got to put the filler strip in - more fun! Next, onto the charge pipework! Good old cardboard. I'd try and explain the routing, but i think the pictures speak for themselves!

JKa2c9T.jpg

PgRRXDF.jpg

k5Y1aC0.jpg

tBlNvXW.jpg

o9DJUPa.jpg

#513 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

Go on then. Whats the secret for the front screen. Need to do mine but I keep putting it off🙈

#514 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

The secret is “Don’t be scared of it”!

#515 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

The secret is Dont be scared of it!

This. I also used car shampoo as lubricant with a tiny splash of water. Made sure the entire channel was covered, this allows the screwdriver to glide too. Start with one corner and work away round.

#516 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Screwdriver? Could be a bit brutal, but looks to have gone OK
I use plastic bike tyre levers.

I presume you’ve got the roller tool for the filler strip? More lube and it shouldn’t be too bad.

#517 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Same, as your less likely to damage the seal with a plastic tool, and it is possible to break or shatter if not laminated or toughened if using a screwdriver and catch the edge of the glass wrong. (you can work out how know that one).

The fillet strip is easy enough, plenty of lube, and feed it into the tool/channel flat (witch helps with the corners). And rather than just pushing the tool round, wiggling it slightly as if making little circles is the best method I've found that works.

#518 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

I presume you’ve got the roller tool for the filler strip? More lube and it shouldn’t be too bad.

I'm hopefully borrowing the tool from Shifty, when I drop off the rest of the stuff he's lent me! Lol

#519 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Same, as your less likely to damage the seal with a plastic tool, and it is possible to break or shatter if not laminated or toughened if using a screwdriver and catch the edge of the glass wrong. (you can work out how know that one).

The fillet strip is easy enough, plenty of lube, and feed it into the tool/channel flat (witch helps with the corners). And rather than just pushing the tool round, wiggling it slightly as if making little circles is the best method I've found that works.

I'll be honest, if you're careful with the screwdriver you won't damage the seal at all. I only used it to fold the lip back, once it got to the third pass it just popped in!

#520 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

be careful when inserting the fillet strip. Pay careful attention especially when going round the corners of the screen as I have found some fillet strips mark easily with the insertion tool. try to keep the tool running straight . It's all really in the angle you hold the tool which you can find out easily enough by trying it

#521 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

If you dont have the special tool, I think its called a Claytonrite tool, you can use a decent size R clip held in some mole grips. Ive used that for fitting Defender glass seal fill strips.

#522 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Slight bit of an update as i'm still waiting for incompetent companies to send me things they promised weeks ago.. But alas! I keep finding things to do!

First was getting the silver filler strip in! Again, a big thank you to Shifty for lending me the correct tool and some helpful advice! I got the strip in within 2 minutes! I guess i've been lucky!

LmQq9VX.jpg

Next was the fuel tank - this wasn't so easy. It got stuck on some of the wiring so had to re-think where to route it. It eventually dropped in and managed to get all the new pipes on with stainless hose clamps. Fitted with a new tank strap that i covered with sticky back foam.

x8E0xD7.jpg

Meanwhile, in the N/S wheel arch, i got the fresh air feed sorted and cable tied in place - got the idea from Pete's build!

diRpb4i.jpg

And because i'm a massive tart i got the rear badge on!

vQeipsX.jpg

#523 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Boot looks good ;)

#524 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now