39 replies to this topic

#1 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hello folks I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the titled car. I have been offered it, really didn't fancy getting rid of my mx5 but the Porsche is immaculate and it's not the latter s model.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

You want an Audi?

4 pot up front. Gearbox at the back.

Not good not bad. Used to run one alongside a 944 in the Swedish endurance races.

Would keep the Mx 5 even though I have never owned or driven one.

#3 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I've been in them a couple of times and was a bit underwhelmed. Well, more than a bit. A lot. Not the fastest car in the world! I suppose it was when it was built, but just about anything can take it on now. I think my Mini could probably give it a run for its money on 0-60  :D .  You're basically buying the badge I think with that one. I'd stick to the MX5 and save for a 911.

#4 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

Yeah but also what about re-sel values in years to come? It is honestly mint. And I'm not looking for a 0-60 in 2 seconds car. Just a nice comfortable cruser :) we still have the mini, but I cant seem to get on with modern cars :/ so hot to stick with classics and the other halfs car has just packed up so I really can't stay with a 2 seater and be stuck like we was today :(

#5 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

If you like it, go for it. If nothing else, you can say 'I drive a Porsche' and not many of us can say that :D (just make sure you get one of those 'my other car is a mini' stickers for the back window).

#6 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:09 AM

If you like it, go for it. If nothing else, you can say 'I drive a Porsche' and not many of us can say that :D (just make sure you get one of those 'my other car is a mini' stickers for the back window).

Lol I'm honestly not even going for the "im driving a Porsche" bit. It just looks like a reliable honest car, and very very clean.

I get much more satisfaction out of saying "I own a mini" hahaha

Any idea if this will one day be worth any real money?

#7 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

Lol I'm honestly not even going for the "im driving a Porsche" bit. It just looks like a reliable honest car, and very very clean.

I get much more satisfaction out of saying "I own a mini" hahaha

Any idea if this will one day be worth any real money?

Who can say? If someone told me 15 years ago that a £500 2CV would be worth £9K today, I'd have bought five! Same with all the Minis I've almost given away over the years. If you keep it in immaculate condition, it'll probably hold its value at the very least.

#8 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

Thinking about this some more, i did some paint work on a red one years ago for it's estate agent owner. He told me that he had bought it as an investment.

I think this was 2007 and he had just paid £700 for it. We repaired some paint blisters on the bonnet and re-painted the scuffed bumpers while he had the seats re-trimmed.

It was immaculate when he took it away

Looking around online at prices just now, i guess he was right to have invested. Not that they are huge amounts of money right now but have certainly gone up some.

As MiniMinx said, if you like the car, then go for it!

#9 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:55 AM

They definitely seem to be rising, so you probably won't lose much

A long time since I drove one (and then only briefly) but they're not hugely quick but they handle beautifully.

#10 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

They are mostly slagged off by those who have never driven one. I had one after having had a 944 and a 944turbo. I bought it because it was too cheap not too and expected it to be terrible. Like the mx5 (which I drive now) the handling is superb. It's not up there speed wise with most other Porsches but it's a lot of fun. Don't be put off by the four pot jibes, my 944turbo was a four pot and they are faster than a 911. The only thing I would point out is don't expect spares to be mx5 prices.

#11 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

They are mostly slagged off by those who have never driven one. I had one after having had a 944 and a 944turbo. I bought it because it was too cheap not too and expected it to be terrible. Like the mx5 (which I drive now) the handling is superb. It's not up there speed wise with most other Porsches but it's a lot of fun. Don't be put off by the four pot jibes, my 944turbo was a four pot and they are faster than a 911. The only thing I would point out is don't expect spares to be mx5 prices.

Yeah like I say I'm not after a fast car just a nice classic :) and when you say they won't be mx5 prices is everything notably more expensive?

#12 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

If the price, and condition, was right I wouldn't hesitate. Don't have first hand experience but I think it's worth the investment.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Both the 924 & 944 are classic cars in their own right. Porsche build quality is always excellent and they are easy to work on.

I've been fancying a Boxster of late after a friend of mine bought one for under £5000 and it needed very little doing to make it superb. I drove it and was very surprised at how well it drove. I think it was even better to drive than the 2.7  911 I had many years ago.

#14 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Yeah like I say I'm not after a fast car just a nice classic :) and when you say they won't be mx5 prices is everything notably more expensive?
it's not horrendously bad but most things cost more. I would guess most stuff is 20-30% more than mx5 stuff with odd bits a lot more and a few bits cheaper. Trim is hard to come by and very expensive, as are electrical odds and ends like switches etc

#15 Rob Gavin

Rob Gavin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

If it is mint, I'd buy it as an investment.  'base model' stuff is increasing in value all the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users