SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: Carolinas Classic Minis United

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hey folks,

I love the forum and have been trying to find a way to give back to the mini community these past 2-3 years.So, I am putting together a new YouTube Channel that will dive directly into repairing your classic mini. However. I need suggestions on repairs and upgrades you would like to see on the channel. As I get them in I will make videos showing you classic mini owners how to do repairs and upgrades are your cars.

As of right now I have no videos up since I want some feedback from actual owners before building a video list.

Any feedback and constructive criticism is going to be welcomed as well.  Please share opinions on this as well!

#2 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

sounds like a brilliant idea mate!, you could title the vids with the difficulty level then the thing your doing, Easy- coolant flush  , or something like that

#3 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

sounds like a brilliant idea mate!, you could title the vids with the difficulty level then the thing your doing, Easy- coolant flush  , or something like that

Heck yeah that's a great idea.  I always liked the idea of it takes X amount of wrenches to complete.  Using a wrench as a difficulty rating.  Thanks for the tip!

#4 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Heck yeah that's a great idea.  I always liked the idea of it takes X amount of wrenches to complete.  Using a wrench as a difficulty rating.  Thanks for the tip!

that way people will know before they attempt it that it will be easy/difficult! I will definitely subscribe to you if you start this channel!

#5 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

that way people will know before they attempt it that it will be easy/difficult! I will definitely subscribe to you if you start this channel!

I'm thinking of doing a "Here's the tools you need for this" at the beginning of each video as well.  That way there arent any excessive trips to the local parts store.  :proud:

#6 ucchockey

ucchockey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Setting tappets.
Fitting a new distributor.
Setting timing.

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

Sounds like a great idea.

As long as the information you give in the videos is accurate then it will be very helpful for a great many. Especially those with little practical experience that need to see it being done to be able to grasp how to do it themselves.

Ben 

Edited by Ben_O, 22 February 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#8 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

"Refitting is the opposite of removal"

Please show that this is usually blatant lies!

#9 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

I'd start with simple servicing procedures (oil/filter change, adjusting tappets, grease points, etc) and then work your way towards more difficult things like bodywork and engine or gearbox rebuilding.

#10 Coxie

Coxie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Video 1 should be a how to find that annoying rattle and still keep your eyes on the road while doing exactly 62 mph.

#11 Coxie

Coxie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Video 2. The same but for the one that rattles at 46mph

#12 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

Setting tappets.
Fitting a new distributor.
Setting timing.

Great ideas!  Adding to the list.  Thank you

Sounds like a great idea.

As long as the information you give in the videos is accurate then it will be very helpful for a great many. Especially those with little practical experience that need to see it being done to be able to grasp how to do it themselves.

Ben 

I completely agree.  I want to make sure I don't take on anything before I fully comprehend it myself.  I definitely don't want to provide people incorrect information.  Thanks for the feedback!

"Refitting is the opposite of removal"

Please show that this is usually blatant lies!

Whoever said that obviously doesn't own a mini!

I'd start with simple servicing procedures (oil/filter change, adjusting tappets, grease points, etc) and then work your way towards more difficult things like bodywork and engine or gearbox rebuilding.

Thanks for the feedback.  Start small then grow into more difficult and complex things.

Video 1 should be a how to find that annoying rattle and still keep your eyes on the road while doing exactly 62 mph.

But what about the rattle at 25mph while taking a right turn and hitting a bump!?  :lol:

#13 pierres

pierres

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

How about wiring in

Oil gauge

Volt gauge

Clock

Amp gauge

Vacuum Gauge

Spot lights

Fog lights

Cigarette lighter

#14 hellom8

hellom8

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Things like cleaning connections to make things work again would be good.
I could of done with a vid on changing a front brake hose as the Haynes manual gives no info and I ended up having to replace the pipe as well.

#15 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Depending on how big jobs you want to tackle ...

Welding and panel replacement. Obviously that's a ******* huge subject!
Engine removal. Obviously that's pretty big too, but scary as hell if you've only got a Haynes manual.

Subframe replacement. Front is obviously another big job, but the back's not so bad and EVERY mini needs a new one atsome point!!!!

Other than that, I'd suggest fitting popular performance mods like stage 1 kits, cams, rockers, timing chains.

For smaller jobs, rebuilding hubs and brakes, replacing CV joints, fitting hi-los, fixing common oil leaks like gear box seals,
(I could go on and on and on and on ...)

Edited by fenghuang, 22 February 2015 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users