I hate bleeding brakes. Always turns into a total disaster!
After dragging out my venerable Eeziebleed from the depths of the bottom drawer of my toolbox I was met with this sorry sight:
It doesn't look too bad from the picture but it was 1/2 full of crusty years old brake fluid which I'd obviously neglected to drain out after my last feeble attempt to use it about 5 years ago, i'd lost half the adaptors including the one I needed for the clutch and all the seals round the caps were falling apart. Aside from all that it was ready to go!
Obviously this gave me a chance to surf eBay and since I've got the luxury of a compressor in the garage I ordered one of those vacumn draw through brake bleeders that look so easy to use when Ed China does it on Wheeler Dealers!
A couple of days later up it turned via my long suffering neighbour who ends up taking in all our parcels for us :-
At less than £20 I reckoned it was worth a punt, what could possibly go wrong?
Well loads as it happens.........
I thought I'd try and bleed the clutch first since i'd lavished a new braided hose and slave cylinder on it. So i stuck a funnel in the master cylinder and topped the level up to the brim. What i hadn't grasped was that poor old Percy had a bit of a fore / aft tilt on the axle stands ........ so when I topped the resevoir up to the top looking at it from the front Dot 5 fluid was overflowing from the back hidden by the funnel it was only the sound of it dripping onto the floor that alerted me. Doh! I gave it a good rinsing with water and some bike cleaner I had handy but I just know its going to lift the paint somewhere. Luckily for me the paint on the bulkhead is far from pristine anyway so I'm not going to lose to much sleep over it. On the upside the new brake bleeder worked well and I soon had a nice firm clutch pedal.
Flushed with success I moved onto the brakes. Now I knew this would take a while as Percy's had new braided line around and the 7.5 discs put on the front. So I topped up the master cylinder (without spilling any this time!) and started at the back. It seemed to take ages to draw the fluid through, and then as I looked under the car from the rear bumper I could see lots of fluid running off the front right hand side of the front subframe
I'd forgotten to tighten the banjo bolt which goes through the two way splitter union on top of the front R/H brake hose double doh!
After tightening up the blasted thing was still leaking so I stripped it down again for a look. The copper washers didn't look too clever, so after cleaning them up a bit I heated them up over the gas hob in the kitchen (the wife was out) and reassembled the union with them warm which seemed to do the trick!
Unfortunately I still couldn't get a decent firm pedal how ever much I bled and I was still getting a bit of leakage which I traced to this pipe join just below the pdwa valve thing on the bulkhead:
Sorry for the out of focus pic but you can see the union on the copper pipe isn't square and this was where it was weeping slightly. It looks like Percy's had about half his pipework replaced with copper over the years, probably for mots and I'm not sure this pipe has the right union on it, it goes in nice and square, but seems to bottom out and kink over just as you tighten it.
I was fed up by this time, it was Friday afternoon and the kids were home for the easter hols so i shut the garage door and went inside to sulk.
I've ordered a new pipe from minispares which does away with the offending pipe join so ill try again after the Easter bank holidays when it turns up.
I really hate bleeding brakes, but writing all this down has been a cleansing experience! sorry for boring anyone thats read to the end of this post........