161 replies to this topic

#16 tomb1992

tomb1992

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

personally i think top gear will end up like fifth gear if they d got rid of Jeremy. boring as hell and irrelevant. also wouldn't  last on a prime time channel. if Jeremy were given the boot sure Clarkson  Richard and May could go to any channel or network and do a similar show with out the BBC out off date boundaries. also if they did cancel top gear the bbc would only have Call the mid wife and stricky come sequins to make money off   

Edited by tomb1992, 11 March 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#17 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Well timing is everything, apparently Clarksons production company sold the rights to Top Gear back to the BBC in 2012 and the three year contracts for the team are up this month. Jezza and the boys could walk away and do something with someone else.
More about it from the Torygraph
http://www.telegraph...-Gear-live.html
FS

#18 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Top Gear did really well to reinvent itself when they got rid of the boring Jon Bentley and moved Andy Willman in. I remember back when it was Jeremy, Quentin and Tiff Needell and Michelle Newman (who apparently really was a total pain in the arse and didn't get on with anyone) and the show wasn't watched by half as many. You've got to hand it to Clarkson, May and Hammond - in what other area can 3 middle-aged blokes appeal to people of all ages? Jeremy is one of the last people to actually say what they think in a media that is constantly supressing even the slightest word that someone, somewhere in our PC mad world will actively go out of their way to find offensive.

I don't think they could adjust if Jeremy left because, in reality, it would mean a huge format change and, as they say, if it ain't broke ....

#19 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

If Jeremy leaves I think it will be the end of top gear. There will be a few years with nothing and then another motoring program with the three of them will appear on another channel.

I'd put my money on Dave buying it if they could.

#20 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

I think the BBC should junk the present team and employ "Bad Obsession" to present the show. 

Think Binky!!!!!!!!

#21 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

The BBC are in a mess really, Clarksons a stubborn man no matter how much you punish him he wont change the way he is, so its pointless really. The problem is the BBC have to because he has been given numerous "final warnings" now and the BBC will be criticised if they dont. His contract to the BBC is coming to an end so they can't upset him too much or he will leave, they're already paying out millions in compensation to broadcasters over the world for not keeping up the contract of supplying them with the full series of shows.

Give it a few weeks and it'll be back, the BBC can't afford to lose it

#22 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

He really is a pratt. Having a laugh is one thing but continually being offensive and thinking its 'funny' is different. I am not surprised this has happened as he thinks he is above everyone with the way he talks and acts. No one is irreplaceable and there are loads of people that would do a better job, just please and for the love of God let it not be Quentin Wilson!

#23 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

No one is irreplaceable. 

Who knows, maybe they will sack him, keep the other two and bring in a hot young girl. That could be entertaining to watch, as she puts the other two to shame with driving skills and knowledge. 

Imagine a petrol head version of someone like Rachel Riley. She's funny, a good presenter and certainly nice to look at!

It could do with some new blood on the show either way

What about Sabine Schmitz..? Not everyone's idea of hot, but I wouldn't climb over her to get to Jezzer! (I'd describe her as a petrol-headed Rachel Riley)

As for the comeback.? I can remember the debacle with Jonathan Ross - He quietly slipped back some while later, under the radar and his antics with Mr. Brand are long forgotten...

But as the BBC says, I have too give the other perspective: The formula of the show is tried and tested, but of late, it's getting tired. The same ol' script whereby Cpt. Slow and the Hamster do prescripted battles with Jez at the helm. I remember when I laughed out loud to 'Only fools & Horses': Watching clips now on YouTube shows it to be dated - perhaps it's time for a complete re-think..?

More than 5p worth, for which I'm sorry.

Edited by b_sdaddy, 11 March 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#24 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

The BBC will keep it. It makes them so much money. About £350million a year. Clarkson sold his stake on the brand a few years ago so there his nothing really tying him to it.
I reckon they will keep James and Richard doing it (if they want to) or replace all three.
Might be a good opportunity to revamp the format of the show

#25 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

I have a hunch that it will just blow over and continue on with it as it is.

I do agree that it's getting a bit tired now but i still tune in and enjoy the most part of it.

I remember thinking last Sunday when watching it and listening to Clarkson making jokes about what he is not 'allowed' to say and thinking to myself that he was treading on thin ice.

As much as JC annoys me and on occasion makes me cringe with his behaviour and the way he no longer takes anything seriously , i can't say i would be as interested without him.

Ben 

#26 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

This is interesting read this

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-31832534

#27 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

He really is a pratt. Having a laugh is one thing but continually being offensive and thinking its 'funny' is different. I am not surprised this has happened as he thinks he is above everyone with the way he talks and acts. No one is irreplaceable and there are loads of people that would do a better job, just please and for the love of God let it not be Quentin Wilson!

He is a pratt, and often tiresome. The stunt in Argentina for me was a bit much, but that aside, it's the real world. And in the real world, Clarkson, Hammond and May make a lot of money for the Beeb. The three of them are all friends, and as such I do think it works well. Whatever your opinions on Top Gear being dated, funny, amazing or whatever - it makes money. There may be a limit that they have to say enough is enough, but from what we are hearing in the media, I can't see this being it. 

If I were Hammond or May, I would seriously consider just quitting if they got rid of him. If they all left, they would have no choice but to revamp the show and see how it does. I think there would still be a lot of car fans watch it, and almost everyone who watches now would watch at the start to see if it would be good or not, but in the end the numbers will dwindle and it will be a washed up show. 

Clarkson, Hammond and May in the meantime will simply go elsewhere, make another show - maybe a new type of motoring show or whatever, but someone would pay them a decent salary to make funny and watched TV. I don't know who actually will own the name Top Gear but I really don't think it will be the same without the three idiots. And The Stig. 

Edited by Black.Ghost, 11 March 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#28 90BHP

90BHP

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Local Club: Back Street Minis

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Well said, having said that - I would vote for Guy Martin !!

I've just seen on the news the guy he is alleged to have hit, he does have that annoying look about him !!

Having also worked on many film sets over the years, there is nothing worse than having got up and travelled to a first call of 6am then sitting on your bum until mid afternoon for your, delayed, piece to camera. Then having a late finish (after 6pm) and on location ( often locked down with no option other than to Stay on set) it is more than a little irritating when you are starving and want a cup of tea...

#29 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

Bloody hope they don't cancel the topgear live shows. I've got tickets to that in November!!

#30 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-31828943

Also, this is probably little more than just another publicity stunt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users