276 replies to this topic

#46 James_eaton_thewholething

James_eaton_thewholething

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Such a shame about the car mate really like this one. Definitely sounds like typical lift off oversteer. My 205 try's to do stuff like that all the time now I just keep my foot in haha

#47 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

opps that doesn't look good... but everything can be rebuilt. Mercury's look ace though ;D

Hope you manage to get it all back together :)

#48 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Ouch!

#49 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

I checked door gaps as well as the subframe, all was ok so I'm starting getting it back together

Thats really lucky! cheers

Oops, doesn't look that bad of damage, has the scuttle been damaged? the windscreen hasn't cracked so it doesn't seem like it's affected that area. does the door open and close ok? Is the gap different at the back of the door? Have a look at where the subframe is bolted to the floor, is it dented? Is the steering off centre?

Thanks alex, only the corner of the scuttle has been bent a bit, screen seems fine. Door opens and closes alright, bit sticky but it was before. My gaps were terrible before so I didn't really pay attention to them  :shy: . Steering seems quite central but I defiantly need a new rack.

Such a shame about the car mate really like this one. Definitely sounds like typical lift off oversteer. My 205 try's to do stuff like that all the time now I just keep my foot in haha

Cheers James, I'm going to adopt that now and just go slow everywhere when its wet!

opps that doesn't look good... but everything can be rebuilt. Mercury's look ace though ;D

Hope you manage to get it all back together :)

Thanks mate! But try telling my mum that  O_O

Ouch!

It certainly was for my pride!

Edited by Will16, 30 June 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#50 Will16

Will16

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

So started stripping it down and looking for damage tonight. Not good IMO. Rack arm is snapped, steering knuckle on hub is bent waaaay out of shape

I’ve taken some photos, really want to here what others think and how I can repair this. To say I’m gutted is the understatement of the year 

35248360780_98450d6a5a_c.jpgIMG_6636_zpsmx0p6scl by Will Giddings, on Flickr

35466946372_14aa7126f5_c.jpgIMG_6639_zps065fhg4r by Will Giddings, on Flickr

Edited by Will16, 30 June 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#51 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Feel for you mate :(  Not a good start to you're year.

It looks to me like it has distorted the bottom of the bulkhead around the subframe mount.

I think as a minimum you'll need to remove the engine etc and clear out the engine bay to assess the damage in detail, then re-fit the subframe on its bulkhead and crossmember mounts to see how much its out of line. Looks like you'd need a new front panel to be able to do this. Hopefully the crossmembers not been affected by the impact.

If the bottom of the bulkheads only been pushed a little bit you may be able to bend / work it back into position but this depends on whether the bulkheads cracked or structurally damaged. Some good props and a mig welder should sort it all though and I doubt you'd need to replace the panel.

Look at it as a re-build project mate. You'll soon have it back on the black ribbons ;-)

#52 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:33 AM

Not good mate like above not a good start to your year sorry dude... Looks like the impact internally is a little worse than it first looked the floor doesn't look as bad in the pics i have seen worse to be honest... I was devastated when i had smash in the front of an old clubby estate years back only way is to take everything off the area and see if the new stuff all lines up and do loads of measuring....

Hope you sort it mate :)

#53 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about this dude. Loved the look of your mini and I hope the damage isn't too bad once you get to inspect the subframe fully. I also had a small incident in the mini a little while ago and it is properly gut wrenching. Feels like you've hurt a family member. Best of luck getting it all sorted, we are all supporting you :) 

#54 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:14 AM

The distortion around that rear subframe mount doesn't look fresh enough to be part of the accident in my opinion.  It looks more like the floor has been pushed up in the past.

The bottom bolt should be flat to the floor, so presumably the tail end of the subframe is bent.

#55 James_eaton_thewholething

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

I take it a bit easier when it's wet but not much. I had horrible lift off oversteer when both lower arms on my 205 where severely worn. Also to be honest it's got better since I fitted a Quaife ATB. I guess we learn from these things and move forwards. Good to see you have started with the fixing though

#56 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

How's nad?

#57 Will16

Will16

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

Thank you for all your replies and support :D. Still rather p*ssed about this, had just got it looking spot on and driving it about with no problems, but no one to blame other than myself

Feel for you mate :(  Not a good start to you're year.

It looks to me like it has distorted the bottom of the bulkhead around the subframe mount.

I think as a minimum you'll need to remove the engine etc and clear out the engine bay to assess the damage in detail, then re-fit the subframe on its bulkhead and crossmember mounts to see how much its out of line. Looks like you'd need a new front panel to be able to do this. Hopefully the crossmembers not been affected by the impact.

If the bottom of the bulkheads only been pushed a little bit you may be able to bend / work it back into position but this depends on whether the bulkheads cracked or structurally damaged. Some good props and a mig welder should sort it all though and I doubt you'd need to replace the panel.

Look at it as a re-build project mate. You'll soon have it back on the black ribbons ;-)

Cheers Stu :-), that advice is golden has made me think its not as bad as I thought on Monday! 

Not good mate like above not a good start to your year sorry dude... Looks like the impact internally is a little worse than it first looked the floor doesn't look as bad in the pics i have seen worse to be honest... I was devastated when i had smash in the front of an old clubby estate years back only way is to take everything off the area and see if the new stuff all lines up and do loads of measuring....

Hope you sort it mate :)

Thanks bud :-) , ooh that sounds bad aswell. Coincidently my mum crashed her Clubby estate years back! Would that be the recommend way to go? Strip everything down and start examining?

I'm really sorry to hear about this dude. Loved the look of your mini and I hope the damage isn't too bad once you get to inspect the subframe fully. I also had a small incident in the mini a little while ago and it is properly gut wrenching. Feels like you've hurt a family member. Best of luck getting it all sorted, we are all supporting you :) 

Thanks Vin, I did see you accident pics and was gutted for you, that car was mint! unlike mine  ;-)  And defiantly feels like I've hurt family.

The distortion around that rear subframe mount doesn't look fresh enough to be part of the accident in my opinion.  It looks more like the floor has been pushed up in the past.

The bottom bolt should be flat to the floor, so presumably the tail end of the subframe is bent.

The plot thickens! I'll get under it and have a good look at the subby then

I take it a bit easier when it's wet but not much. I had horrible lift off oversteer when both lower arms on my 205 where severely worn. Also to be honest it's got better since I fitted a Quaife ATB. I guess we learn from these things and move forwards. Good to see you have started with the fixing though

Yeh, its a costly mistake that I will most certainly learn from  :wacko:

How's nad?

Disappointingly, same as monday I'm afraid, haven't even looked at it since :unsure: . I'll jack it up this weekend and get underneath it to have a little inspection

#58 James_eaton_thewholething

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

I'm sure it will be back to drive able very soon

#59 johnsn

johnsn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: OMS

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

You can fix that. remove the engine and trans, take it to a frame shop and have them pull the body back into shape.

If they pull on the sub frame, they should be able to do it.

It's best to pull the body straight before replacing panels.

john

#60 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

"Thanks bud :-) , ooh that sounds bad aswell. Coincidently my mum crashed her Clubby estate years back! Would that be the recommend way to go? Strip everything down and start examining?"

Yeah wasn't the best timing either was happy just it all running nice new head gasket etc went round the corner and that happened... But that's life I suppose, I didn't say that a the time though haha.

I would suggest taking everything off the area and get some new panels and seeing how everything fits and measure all round the door gap area to make sure its all square.

Good luck with it all mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users