110 replies to this topic

#106 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Must have been a banner month for imports! I'm still waiting to get paint on my shell but the block is back so now I can at least get on with the mock build up of the 8 port engine. At least I will be able to drive it as a rat rod...............

#107 Chappers

Chappers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hey man, I am glad to see you are back working on the 60.   I've put in some work this past year, but just seriously started back on mine today.  Yours is going to give me much needed motivation.  It's going to help a lot to see some areas of the floor I am not so sure about too.  

Looks like you are getting alot done.  

Seems as though there is another 60's owner here that is earlier than mine, dang.  Weird that all are March cars...

I decided to replace my roof and I feel the pain of an evaporating car.

20180202_201046_zpsmxp461ta.jpg

Hey good to hear from you too!
Looks like youve made a load of progress, are you updating your build thread?

Cant tell on the photo, have you got the new floor in?
Must have been a nervous moment chopping out the roof!

#108 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hey good to hear from you too!
Looks like youve made a load of progress, are you updating your build thread?

Cant tell on the photo, have you got the new floor in?
Must have been a nervous moment chopping out the roof!

Only the boot floor is in at the moment, which is some progress...wish I had more to show.  I'll probably do some updates with the build thread, but really just trying to get myself back into gear with the work I need to do.   

#109 Chappers

Chappers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

Its been a while since I updated this thread, I had some big jobs to do, first was replacing valve cover gaskets on my wifes v8 x5, which sucked! Glad thats over.
Then a couple of Jetta tdis in my garage, one had a frozen Intercooler and the other was a timing belt job.
In between Ive been working on smaller jobs like repairing the cant rails, getting them ready to install. Ill update that bit later.

So only this weekend I got back onto my project.

First I was tired of all the grinding of the plug welds, so I decided I needed a spot welder.
I had to install a 240v outlet in my garage, which wasnt too hard after understanding how they do it here in the US.
Then I got a Harbor Freight welder and tried it out.
Seems like it will do the job pretty nicely, Im going to practice a little more as there is some technique to getting the right pressure, timing, angle of the tips on the metal.

eKUm15d.jpg
xTCRUpJ.jpg
zXSnNq3.jpg

I dug out my rear subframe, I was quite surprised at the condition, its not too bad, maybe after a sand blast it may be salvageable.
I bolted it on the boot floor.
7CBEwbK.jpg

Then heaved the floor into position and bolted the subframe to the heel board.
4bk84Ez.jpg

The front lines up OK with the toe board
FFjz9ER.jpg

At first the subframe mounting holes in the toe board dont line up with the floor
FYxYzGv.jpg
NLcfyvx.jpg

So I bolted them together through the holes
uHIQzS5.jpg
YQ9ZGv9.jpg
8SHtuVt.jpg

Which seemed to do the trick and conformed the floor to the toe board. It will need a little more persuasion when it comes to welding them together.

Then I scribed a line where the heel board edge contacts the boot floor/seat base, flipped the car over, removed the rear subframe and then seperated the two panels.
QFkn9JX.jpg

Sanded to bare metal and got some zinc primer on both surfaces.
f3GB4je.jpg
lKD5DQQ.jpg

I measured how much overhang there is from the seat base and its around 7-8 inches and my spot welder only came with 6 inch arms. So tomorrow I need to drill some holes in the seat base and plug weld it instead.

I would like to cut out the magic wand opening in the toeboard as the opening will then allow me get the spot welder to the lap joint around the tunnel area. But I dont have the measurements for the opening.
YQ9ZGv9.jpg
Can anyone help provide me the measurements?

#110 Chappers

Chappers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

I think I will buy the magic wand gear stick gaiter and retainer from mini spares, and get the measurements from that to make the hole.

I have a question for anyone whos replaced the rear quarter panels on a mk1, is there a difference between mk1 and the later quarter panels?

Mini spares do not list any mk1 panels.
But M Machine do have different part numbers for mk1 rear quarters.

#111 Chappers

Chappers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted Today, 01:59 AM

Feel like Im making some progress finally, now Ive got the floor in.

After careful measurements I drilled a series of 1/4 inch holes in the boot floor, deburred the holes, then I put the rear subframe back on to the boot floor, and bolted it to the heel board.
91258EAE-827A-419F-BDCE-595364DFB455_zps
Clamped the floor to the rear quarters seams, flipped the car back over again. (Which is getting harder on the rotisserie due to the extra weight)

Then stood through the drivers door, and using 2 long reach clamps squeezed the panels together to be able to get a couple plug welds in then moved around in that fashion until all the plug welds were done.
8FD1E002-6EC1-4944-96B0-BD9EF10A4761_zps
6D7789BB-CA38-4D96-9166-2DC82FD5C9BB_zps

I found I got some really nice plug welds this time vs the boot floor panel. As I used a wire brush attachment in a drill to clean away the zinc primer in each 1/4 inch hole.

Tomorrow Ill remove the rear subframe and add a few stitch welds at the heel board to boot floor joint.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)
Mini Spares