Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Thats great! I will do something similar. The VW/Audi pump looks smaller than the Volvo pump

Never even thought of reservoir. DO you have apart number or supplier for the switch 

This is for the switch. https://uk.rs-online...235393636333226

Many thanks! This is great!

I think the easiest thing is to take a trip to the breakers yard. see what I can piece together from volvos (there are plenty of them) and audi/vw.

To do this as cheaply as possible I might look at the pressure sensors on the Volvos / VAG. if it is too much or not enough vacuum then I can look at the sensor you linked. Do you have any idea what pressure your have set your switch to? 

I don't know what the metric is but the one I've listed gives 20 inches of mercury as the centre point and works fine adjusting it from there. I would think someone on here will be able to convert it for you. In the overall scheme of things as it's brakes we're talking about, I think buying the switch new was value for money. 

#737 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Other little niggles:

Car gets hot sitting in traffic. I wonder how the electric fan is controlled? Is it the ECU? if so I guess I can bring it on a little earlier. 

I run a standard starter motor. The car is a bit tough to start in the mornings. Starts easier once it is warm. I wonder if I should think about a high torque starter? 

On the 7 port the ecu can control the fan so I assume it's the same on yours. The only way I can keep it cool in traffic is with an auxiliary fan to supplement the mechanical one. I ended up fitting a hi torque starter and don't put my foot on the clutch to start it. You've just got to be certain it's always in neutral  :ohno:

#738 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Thats great! I will do something similar. The VW/Audi pump looks smaller than the Volvo pump

Never even thought of reservoir. DO you have apart number or supplier for the switch 

I think the easiest thing is to take a trip to the breakers yard. see what I can piece together from volvos (there are plenty of them) and audi/vw.

To do this as cheaply as possible I might look at the pressure sensors on the Volvos / VAG. if it is too much or not enough vacuum then I can look at the sensor you linked. Do you have any idea what pressure your have set your switch to? 

I don't know what the metric is but the one I've listed gives 20 inches of mercury as the centre point and works fine adjusting it from there. I would think someone on here will be able to convert it for you. In the overall scheme of things as it's brakes we're talking about, I think buying the switch new was value for money. 

Agree with the new switch! a new bosch switch seems to only cost about 6 pounds. 

I think going with a near complete system from an VAG or Volvo, means I can keep the original terminals. I am never able to keep my wiring tidy otherwise. 

#739 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

Agree with the new switch! a new bosch switch seems to only cost about 6 pounds. 

I think going with a near complete system from an VAG or Volvo, means I can keep the original terminals. I am never able to keep my wiring tidy otherwise. 
Is the Bosch switch adjustable? I bought some very nice waterproof connectors from vehicle wiring products. They look a factory connection in the engine bay.

#740 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

Is the Bosch switch adjustable? I bought some very nice waterproof connectors from vehicle wiring products. They look a factory connection in the engine bay.

The Bosch switch is the oem vag part, not adjustable.

#741 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

How much vacuum does the VAG servo operate at compared to the Mini?

#742 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

How much vacuum does the VAG servo operate at compared to the Mini?

Exactly what i will need to check. I notice there are a couple of VAG switches, so I guess they may have different levels of vacuum. However, they seem pretty interchangeable range from an Audi a1 - a6. 

But I see what your getting at - more research needed... 

#743 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

craig before spending on a high torque starter please check your battery voltage in the morning and then the charging voltage of the alternator.

never needed anything other than standard. old skool starter.

#744 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

on the starter front, after the voltage its also worth checking what the advance is set to during cranking, if its a bit high it can cause dificult starting.

on a lot of ECU's there is a seperate cranking advance setting, mine for example sets the advance to 5 degrees at below 400 rpm, and my high torque starter spins it at around 200 rpm,

#745 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

I would be checking the battery voltage in the morning before you go to start it. and also check that the alternator is putting out the right voltage.

12.8v in the morning after having sat for a couple of days. 

13.8v at fast idle. 

Seem right?

#746 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

seems fine may be a tad low on charge but as it is only fast tick over it should be higher when driving. ie 14.7V

#747 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

car is running fine, no issues. Seems to be starting easier but I should check timing advance while cranking. 

so a little garage update, I built deck outside it for working on the mini, think it turned out alright. Also added 4 trailers full of stone chips to the drive. That was a tough days work. 

HUUwrdW.jpg

xsf0wiZ.jpg

OBPQcRk.jpg

#748 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Nice work, wait until you drop a bolt or nut in the gravel  :D

#749 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

It looks like a great job, just wait until one of the stones rolls onto the deck and you kneel on it. :ohno:

#750 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

earth magnets and a broom.  sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users