847 replies to this topic

#721 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

So now everything seems to be working as it should. 

I turn my attention to things that could be improved. 

Brakes: I think there is not enough vacuum from the TBs to constantly feed the servo. I am never really sure how much "help" I am gonna get from the servo. Generally it is fine, but sometimes it is harder to push in the pedal than others. 

I am thinking now to add an electric servo pump. Car builder solutions sell one for approx 250 pounds, but I can source a volvo one for 50 quid. I think I might just try that . 

This is something Ive been pondering as well, having less assistance is one thing but inconsistent could be worse than none at all.

Ive seen advice elsewhere that points to the Volvo electric pump, be interesting to see what you come up with here!

I wonder if theres some way of plumbing the vacuum lines from the TBs that would help smooth out the consistency...

#722 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

Awesome!

On a side note, have you had to have any work done to your Audi's front wings? My run about rot on them both.

#723 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

Awesome!

On a side note, have you had to have any work done to your Audi's front wings? My run about rot on them both.

My front wings were a real state. last summer,  I bought some ready painted wings from a german ebay seller. Fitted pretty well and dated colour match was good enough. 

#724 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Brakes: I think there is not enough vacuum from the TBs to constantly feed the servo. I am never really sure how much "help" I am gonna get from the servo. Generally it is fine, but sometimes it is harder to push in the pedal than others. 

I am thinking now to add an electric servo pump. Car builder solutions sell one for approx 250 pounds, but I can source a volvo one for 50 quid. I think I might just try that . 

This is something Ive been pondering as well, having less assistance is one thing but inconsistent could be worse than none at all.

Ive seen advice elsewhere that points to the Volvo electric pump, be interesting to see what you come up with here!

I wonder if theres some way of plumbing the vacuum lines from the TBs that would help smooth out the consistency...

I currently have the two outer TBs linked to a T piece and the two inner linked to T. then linked to another T, then a one-way valve before the servo. Issue its that there is just not enough vacuum. John at SC said as much when I asked him. 

#725 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Quick question. Does yours have excessive torque/bump steer? Ive had mine corner weighted and its much better, but still likes to pull to the right under hard acceleration.

Yes it torque steers a fair bit. I think I am used to it now. Mine pulls to the left or the right never know which until it happens. 

#726 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

on the vacuum pump front, the volvo one looks like a good bet, although I would expect that they are not meant to run constantly, so you might want to look at the volvo wiring diagram to see how they are driven, I expect they cut in and out to keep the vacuum in the servo toped up, baybe you could trigger it from the brake light switch.

Somethoing I have been looking into is alternators with a vac pump ont he back of them, although I was looking to use it to pull a vacum in the sump, rather than for the brakes, but all the alternators I have seen have been fairly big. more research needed.

Yes I thought of using the brake light switch on the trigger on a relay. 

I will see if I can find a cheaper volvo pump. '

No idea where I will fit it. 

#727 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

I had the same problem and this was my solution. http://www.theminifo...cuum-generator/ I like it because the level of assistance is adjustable.

#728 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

I had the same problem and this was my solution. http://www.theminifo...cuum-generator/ I like it because the level of assistance is adjustable.

Thats great! I will do something similar. The VW/Audi pump looks smaller than the Volvo pump

Never even thought of reservoir. DO you have apart number or supplier for the switch 

#729 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Looks very neat, I may have to steal this solution too!

#730 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:31 PM

Thats great! I will do something similar. The VW/Audi pump looks smaller than the Volvo pump

Never even thought of reservoir. DO you have apart number or supplier for the switch 
I'll post it as soon as I find it. If you use the Audi pump make sure you get the two rubber sleeves the spindles sit on. I made a bracket to enclose them using 25mm electrical conduit clips.

#731 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

This is for the switch. https://uk.rs-online...235393636333226

#732 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

And this is the non return valve. https://www.ebay.co....=item28503f297d

#733 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Many thanks! This is great!

I think the easiest thing is to take a trip to the breakers yard. see what I can piece together from volvos (there are plenty of them) and audi/vw.

To do this as cheaply as possible I might look at the pressure sensors on the Volvos / VAG. if it is too much or not enough vacuum then I can look at the sensor you linked. Do you have any idea what pressure your have set your switch to? 

#734 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Other little niggles:

Car gets hot sitting in traffic. I wonder how the electric fan is controlled? Is it the ECU? if so I guess I can bring it on a little earlier. 

I run a standard starter motor. The car is a bit tough to start in the mornings. Starts easier once it is warm. I wonder if I should think about a high torque starter? 

#735 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

I would be checking the battery voltage in the morning before you go to start it. and also check that the alternator is putting out the right voltage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users