Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

This is a solution to a problem not many will have but its worked so well I thought I would write it up. I've just fitted a seven port head with throttle bodies and wanted to remove the servo; because I wanted better pedal feel and didn't want to drill into the throttle bodies for very little vacuum.

The insurance company wanted me to keep the servo and said because it was a factory fit if I removed it there would be a significant increase in the premium and as I didn't want to change insurers I worked out a solution.

I bought a s/h vacuum pump from an Audi  A6 part no 8E0927317A

Vacuum%20pump%208E0927317H_zpsclzosznj.j

a vacuum reservoir off a VW Passat  part no 054129808,

Vacuum%20reservoir_zpswi2kpccd.jpg

a vacuum sensor switch

vacuum%20sensor%20switch_zpszqimbbqf.jpg

a non return valve and some vacuum hose and joints.

I mounted the pump on the r/h front inner wing. You can just about make it out.

WP_20160727_001_zps0ax5ywjo.jpg

I connected a 10mm vacuum hose from the pump to the non return valve, and then  carried it up and teed this off to the servo, I carried on from the T into a 10mm to 4mm reducer and teed off to the reservoir and the sensor which I'd mounted on the servo bracket.

WP_20160727_002_zpsfkglwhtm.jpg

The electrics are activated when the ignition comes on. This sends a signal to the sensor and if there is not enough vacuum it switches on the pump through a relay and as soon as the vacuum is generated the sensor switches this off which from empty only takes two to three seconds. In use when I press the brake pedal it uses vacuum from the reservoir to activate the servo and the pump switches on to replenish it.

Because I've used an adjustable sensor I can set the servo up to give as much or as little boost as I want to give me the pedal feel I want.

The sensor has a make and a break circuit on it so I decided to make full use of it. I bought a colour changing led and when the pump is charging the led is red, as soon as the reservoir is full it turns green. This is not necessary, I did it because it was there.

I hope you find this interesting.

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Superb.

I love reading peoples solutions to problems

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thanks, it worked out better than I imagined.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

There are other options such as pump on the end of some alternators

You will find solutions on diesels but this electric one is one of the more flexible solutions.

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

There are other options such as pump on the end of some alternators

You will find solutions on diesels but this electric one is one of the more flexible solutions.

The reason I did it this way was to control the level of assistance to the servo and give me the chance to change the level of feel and pressure through the pedal.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Awesome stuff!  Brilliant work.

While I've been aware of the pumps that are sometimes fitted on to the Alternators (that Nick has mentioned) they aren't always convenient nor possible.

I never found time to go looking for such an electric pump but was going to at some point to possibly use for our Cruise Control. The Cruise works well from normal manifold vacuum, but when running a Cam, it can play up. I fitted a vacuum reservoir and that's cured it, but overall, I find it a less than satisfactory option. I'll certainly look in to this.

Many thanks for posting.

#7 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:17 PM

While I've been aware of the pumps that are sometimes fitted on to the Alternators (that Nick has mentioned) they aren't always convenient nor possible.

I never found time to go looking for such an electric pump but was going to at some point to possibly use for our Cruise Control. The Cruise works well from normal manifold vacuum, but when running a Cam, it can play up. I fitted a vacuum reservoir and that's cured it, but overall, I find it a less than satisfactory option. I'll certainly look in to this.

Many thanks for posting.

Thanks for the compliment. The thing that really makes this work well is the adjustable sensor switch because the pump is not designed to run continuously.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

Many thanks for posting.

Thanks for the compliment. The thing that really makes this work well is the adjustable sensor switch because the pump is not designed to run continuously.

Copy that and

Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

Many thanks for posting.

Another pump to think about is the push rod activated one as found on the 5 cylinder VW T4 such as the AAB engine.there is a good chance it could be mounted where the fuel pump can be mounted and be run of the pump lobe.

I have not look at it because I have no need but I should at some time change mine on the T4 as VW fitted them at an incorrect angle they get some hydraulic lock over time.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

OK cheers for that Nick ;D

#11 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

The wiring is as follows.

Wire a high current live feed through a fuse to terminal 30 on the relay.

Wire a fused ignition switched feed to the vacuum switch common contact. Connect the vacuum switch break contact to terminal 85 on the relay.

Connect a high current cable from terminal 87 to the vacuum pump. Wire the other lead from the vacuum pump to earth.

Connect terminal 86 to earth.

#12 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Really nice solution Graham, and not just applicable to mini's, lots of older diesel engines have the same issues and i've not seen such an elegant solution so far.

Where did you get your vacuum sensor switch from?

#13 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Really nice solution Graham, and not just applicable to mini's, lots of older diesel engines have the same issues and i've not seen such an elegant solution so far.

Where did you get your vacuum sensor switch from?

There are lots of them about. I used this one https://uk.rs-online...235393636333226 because it's adjustable and you can alter the pedal feel.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

I didn't even realise there were electric vacuum pumps (well not for automotive purposes anyway   :shy: ).

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

I didn't even realise there were electric vacuum pumps (well not for automotive purposes anyway   :shy: ).

yep every Diesel will have one type or another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users