#136 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

attachicon.gif601E4B98-40B8-4E5F-9F13-292C4AFEE0D4.jpeg
Not mine, but Im thinking Im needing to strip the cab back to this stage with some extra bracing and itll be minus the front bulkhead too. Then, with the new floor and load tray in place, lower the cab section on to it and go from there adding a new bulkhead etc. What I will do though is leave the current door steps on to give the cab an extra surface point on the new floor.

This is basically exactly where I am at. Unless you are positive the original shell is correct I wouldnt bother with the bracing. Your not retaining enough of the shell for it to matter especially if your replacing the bulkhead as well. I tried fit it all together using bracing points from my old shell and its just caused more issues for me.
My advice would be to lay your new floor and load bed section out and align the two using the rear subframe as a jig. Make sure the two sections are square and temp fix them together through the top of the heel board with panel pins or tek screws. Bolt the new bulkhead to the front subframe with solid mounts so theres no play and offer it up to the front of the floor section make sure its square and centered and again temp fix it together. Make sure the whole floor assembly youve just created is level fore and aft and side to side and level up the front subframe as well then try the remains of your cab section on top and see how it looks.

Much appreciated carthorse, and thats a good shout. Ill be putting some extra bracing in so it doesnt completely fall apart in the meantime. Will also help it sit better on the pallet I have for the moment, but will follow your advice re the build element.

Subframe almost stripped down so will get that all cleaned up ready to use. Will be nice to be repairing something rather than taking apart! That said, Ive been working on repairing the passenger side door which bar some surface rust treatment and paint, is ready for the skin to go on. Will do the other side too so that when it comes to aligning door posts and pillars, Im aligning to fit the doors that will go on.

#137 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

haha! pow!! 

A bit scary but well done for taking it on man. Mothing a bit of welding and grinding wont fix :)

Thank you! To get worse yet before it gets better. Long road ahead...

#138 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

it'll definitely be worth it in the end, and you know it'll be a damn sight better built than it was when it left the factory.

useful details on key dimensions in the following link.  may be of some use if you haven't already seen it

http://mk1-performan...al_drop_dia.jpg

Thank you!

#139 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:13 AM

All quiet on the pickup front as a result of the daily needing a few quid spent on it. Its sitting looking sorry for itself in the garage, but always knew this would be a long term project :)

#140 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Interesting mini pickup very different

#141 RSA Mini

RSA Mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:12 AM

Awesome looking van, I'm urgently looking for rail lights. Do you know where I can get from?

Thanks

#142 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Awesome looking van, I'm urgently looking for rail lights. Do you know where I can get from?

Thanks

As in the ones on the roll bar? Just spot lights from eBay I expect.

#143 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Well that escalated quickly! Good work on chopping it all out itll be easier in the long run.

#144 RSA Mini

RSA Mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

Thanks

As in the ones on the roll bar? Just spot lights from eBay I expect.

#145 RSA Mini

RSA Mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

Hi, looking for the rear tail gate lights

#146 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,096 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

How's this wee project going?

#147 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

Andolutely terrible! No, needing to spend some time on it, but haven’t for a while. Sold my Mini GP and been busy getting a replacement sorted for it (collecting early january).

Given the pickup is such a big project, I have thought a couple of times about selling it.

#148 joltfreak

joltfreak

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

Don't give up!
Your be gutted if you do. Just keep at it, dont take shortcuts and do it right. It will worth it in the end

Edited by joltfreak, 25 December 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#149 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

Andolutely terrible! No, needing to spend some time on it, but haven’t for a while. Sold my Mini GP and been busy getting a replacement sorted for it (collecting early january).

Given the pickup is such a big project, I have thought a couple of times about selling it.

..there's a lot to do for sure, and it may at times seem like a never ending task, I'm sure if you break it down into a list of realistically achievable steps (..however small..), each time you tick an item off you remind yourself you're making progress.

Stick at it and the sense of achievement at the end will be remembered far longer than the moments of doubts along the way

Best of luck, and Happy Christmas

#150 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,096 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Don't flog it.. and if you do let me know.. cannae have a pick up going South...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users