25 replies to this topic

#16 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thanks gadget555.  I intend to keep it updated regularly as soon as I start the project properly.

Ill be asking plenty questions as its my first Mini.  Know Land Rovers inside out but not Mini's.

#17 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

From someone who bought a de-seamed mini I can only suggest to seriously look into replacing panels or at least make angles to get seams back on her. I kept mine de-seamed but had to redo it all as it was as rough as a dogs bum! It would've been easier and quicker to remove each panel in turn and replace with new ones. Also if she's a genuine GT then a body that matches the original will make her far more valuable. Good luck and will look forward to seeing some updates.

#18 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:49 PM

Thanks skoughi for your reply.  Its looking like replacing each panel as you say.  I may as well do it right first time around rather than getting it on the road then pulling it back off again at a later date to start the restoration properly.  

#19 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

looks to be a great project. my pickup has been partially deseamed but with all the panels its needing, the seams will be back in place and on show by the end.

#20 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Hi all just a quick update to the thread.  Can't believe its been almost a year since I got the GT!  Time has flown by, the wifes post stroke recovery is going ok, Im almost finished the Defender and I was wanting to fit a blind to a window in the house but got distracted for 20 mins and decided to see what was under those terrible arches!

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised, I was expecting rust, cut arches etc but the combination of a tub of bodge and wood screws seems to have worked.  I know I've still the issue of it being deseamed, and the mountain of work ahead but anyway, here are some photos.

9BB8F039-4034-4E63-B9A6-966E695207BA.jpe

Rare image of the lad helping out, chipping away small bits of filler

E0FF0A8E-8DF5-44BA-9FAD-9D81134D6D6B.jpe

9164AD80-6BA8-426E-85D1-D7F46E59E34C.jpe

Starting to cut away the front arch

92E429B0-1E29-4D6F-BD87-E75543C957FE.jpe

A11C02F2-A239-44CB-9FE4-682CBF3F954E.jpe

148A22E5-D889-4E83-BD82-EF3B7453570A.jpe

I did promise to finish other projects before starting but I couldn't resist.  Im hoping the other side is as decent.

Edited by Jgguinness, 17 April 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#21 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:51 AM

Glad those arches are gone. its not looking a bad shell at all that, keep the updates coming :)

#22 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Thanks. I was wondering what things were like under there for a while. Wheel spacers will be removed too in due course.

Once the project is underway properly Ill put regular updates on.

#23 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Sounds good to me I look forward to seeing this one saved.

#24 Verderad

Verderad

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Removed the arches from mine. Looks about the same state underneath.

#25 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Well a little update. The Defender has now been finished and sold. Sold really quickly bringing more than I’d hoped so that’s good news.

Bad news (for the Mini fund) is that a house move is happening soon and I’ll need to fork it for a block paved drive, plus through the missus twisting of my arm she wanted to change the family car so we’ve ordered a new MINI Clubman Cooper D. Interestingly the sales lady said that they are not taking any orders for the Works versions for a whole year due to BMW wanting to preserve the values of them!

Once the move has happened and drive way finished I’ll be making a proper start on the GT.

#26 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:51 AM

O Yes I remember your thread now, its a cracking car this. I hope you get the chance to get some more work done soon :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares