4 replies to this topic

#1 Minitransition

Minitransition

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Seen good fit and bad fit, that is, Mini with chrome trim pop riveted to the front edge of the bonnet.

My bonnet fits fine, level with wing tops, square etc. But trim sits higher than the trim around the grille.

Did BL fit any spacers to make this line up - I am thinking remove rivets, fit 5mm spacer and use self tapping screws to drop line of trim to match that around the grille.

Anyone else solved this problem?? Seems odd that grille is aligned in holes provided and bonnet won't and doesn't need to drop further at the front but trim is a good 5mm high - looks naff....

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

you do have the finishing strip at the back? as that does move the strip forward and down.

#3 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Mine is the same as yours.

It sits quite high and doesn't line up with the top of the detachable side pieces of the grill.

Mine is held on with 5 self tapping screws.

I tried experimenting today and if you could fit some kind of spacer between the underside of the bonnet lip and the trim you could at least improve the appearance if not cure it completely.

#4 dobbin1999

dobbin1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

I have a 1999 MPI and fairly sure that this trim was held on with self tappers (rather than pop rivets) from new, I think the alignment was never great on the later Minis, mine always annoyed me but when I bought a new grille from Minispares it seemed worse. I used longer self tappers and used thin washers to act as spacers to make it look better, IIRC about 5mm was about right to make it all line up correctly, sometimes it's easier to solve the problem than spend too long wondering why it has occurred!

#5 Minitransition

Minitransition

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have a strip of 7mm aluminium section that I have bent slightly and drilled and spaced the trim down. Now looks like it was put together by Robots rather than Roberts !!! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: detailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users