Photo

Internal Boot Release, No External Handle, Anyone Done It?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

quite like the idea of doing this, I think it could look quite trick. I have a few ideas of how to do it, but I cant think of a way of stopping the boot from dropping down as soon as you pull the release/press the solenoid button.

has any one on here done it?

if so how did you do it?

#2 pinkmini99

pinkmini99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

Ive done this but have no pictures of it. I used a mr2 boot release as it cable. I had the release pull on the rear pocket. With the hoop on the boot lid and the lock in the boot.

You could use a similar design to the boot secondly catch to stop it falling down once open.

#3 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Camp freddy and his build "the rat"'. I took some print screens a few years back as it's on my potential to do list.
26079437257_b222675910_c.jpgIMG_0833 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
40058139955_a96dc6a346_c.jpgIMG_0832 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr

I hope,he doesn't mind me sharing these.
A27081109488_839ff3c4d7_c.jpgIMG_2260 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickrnd here's a second type. It may be his again but these photos I saved years ago so can't remember

It's on my to do list. I had contemplated using weak gas struts to open it. That would stop It flopping open and also limit the travel. Was going to get some long ones that were worn out for a boot of a vectra. Mount one part on the wheel arch area and the second on the lid itself. I even took measurements and made a plan.

#4 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

I've used an electric boot release from a E46 BMW (only because it was £10 from the breakers) with an operating button between the number plate lights. It only pops out about an inch when operated, but you are there to catch it if it drops. The wiring to it is only live when the central locking is open and the alarm is off. There is also provision on the lock mechanism for a cable which I have run as a back-up, to the front of the drivers side rear storage bin.

I think the electric lock from the BMW Mini is also doable but have not tried this myself. Making the bracket to mount the lock on the underside of the parcel shelf can be fiddly, I did most of the fabrication with the boot shut and my arms through the back window and the speaker holes. A bit like the proverbial, "Decorating your hall through the letter box". 

https://www.dropbox....id/83d.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....a51/86.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Compdoc, 23 March 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#5 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

MGA's are like that. I suppose you could adapt their mechanism somehow. I suppose Moss sell them.

#6 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

I've used an electric boot release from a E46 BMW (only because it was £10 from the breakers) with an operating button between the number plate lights. It only pops out about an inch when operated, but you are there to catch it if it drops. The wiring to it is only live when the central locking is open and the alarm is off. There is also provision on the lock mechanism for a cable which I have run as a back-up, to the front of the drivers side rear storage bin.
I think the electric lock from the BMW Mini is also doable but have not tried this myself. Making the bracket to mount the lock on the underside of the parcel shelf can be fiddly, I did most of the fabrication with the boot shut and my arms through the back window and the speaker holes. A bit like the proverbial, "Decorating your hall through the letter box". 

Looks decent. Have you got any more photos John? That looks like a homemade bracket etc.

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Looks decent. Have you got any more photos John? That looks like a homemade bracket etc.

Yes, the bracket was the hardest bit. There's three fixings into the parcel shelf. The two tabs at the back bolt to two arms that fix to the shelf and the top rivnut  takes a bolt through the shelf. The front rivnut takes a bolt through the top/middle of the gutter around the boot opening where the boot rubber sits. All these seem to give enough triangulation for a steady support.

On the original BMW the lock is fitted to the bootlid and the latch to the car, but this made it difficult to slide items into the boot and complicated the wiring and backup bowden cable. So reversing it makes it look a lot neater.

On the bootlid, the latch just needs a piece of angle to get it to align with the lock.

The one thing that I didn't mention was that the E46 lock wiring included a feed to a boot light which operates when the boot is open. I used this for a light as well as a warning light on the dash to tell me when the boot was open. A bit belt and braces I know, but as it was there it seemed a shame not to use it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more pictures with it fitted as the shell is now stripped in preparation for a respray.

#8 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:53 PM

Anyone else run into a good way to do this

#9 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

Project Binky had central locking to the boot but I don't recall if it was an opener as well.

(Don't remember which episode it was detailed in and don't have time ATM to go through all of them to find it)

Not sure how useful it really is unless you have regular passengers who put stuff in the boot  - If its only for you then you need to stand next to the boot to put the stuff in, so you don't really need one - main use for me (on the daily audi) is to stop my hands getting dirty when opening in the wet but a mini doesn't seem to get that bad on the boot handle?

However if its just for the look or to be different or to have something not many others will have then yeah go for it all the way

I did my own rear wiper to be (slightly but not very) different although there are a few haters of them on here I note (Project Binky has one!!!)

#10 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

Just popped back on after a couple of years to see if I can find some coil overs for my Hijet van, seen this post..... Nice to see my post are of help ..

Camp freddy and his build "the rat"'. I took some print screens a few years back as it's on my potential to do list.
26079437257_b222675910_c.jpgIMG_0833 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
40058139955_a96dc6a346_c.jpgIMG_0832 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr

I hope,he doesn't mind me sharing these.
A27081109488_839ff3c4d7_c.jpgIMG_2260 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickrnd here's a second type. It may be his again but these photos I saved years ago so can't remember

It's on my to do list. I had contemplated using weak gas struts to open it. That would stop It flopping open and also limit the travel. Was going to get some long ones that were worn out for a boot of a vectra. Mount one part on the wheel arch area and the second on the lid itself. I even took measurements and made a plan.

#11 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

like this?

https://i.imgur.com/iSAwjnQ.jpg

Edited by screech, 03 December 2020 - 02:52 PM.

#12 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

https://www.theminif...dercoat/page-12

This may help..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users