5 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Brown

Scott Brown

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

I have a clarke 135Te turbo. I was wondering what setting people use for spot welding and what wire size.

#2 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Advice practice on a scrap piece of metal each person differs on setup aswell as difference in welders, one setup might work for someone else etc.

Personally I use either a flange and punch tool to do my holes which work out at 4.8mm or I use a 6mm drill but for harder to get at zones. Then use the welder to fill that in with weld and you can tell when it’s done just by the sound?

Use some scrap and have a play and make sure your getting good penetration. Giggity!

Edited by Thelowrider, 10 June 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#3 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

As above, I’d get practicing on some scrap. I have the same welder and use a wire speed of 8.5 -9 and power on 1max. Torch held 90deg to the hole until you see it filled, hole size 1/4” / 6.5. Clamp either side of the hole as you weld

Have fun!

#4 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

I use 0.6mm wire, turn the welder down low and increase wire speed and amps until it has a zzzzzzzzzzzz sound, a bit like bacon frying in a hot pan. as the others have said practice first until you are happy with it, mine has a spot weld timer setting but never us it. have fun and good luck

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

For plug welding on the 135TE you need wire speed up to 9, then both switches to max power. Seriously I would not recommend anything smaller than 4.8mm (3/16th in old money) 5/32 is too small. Preferably use 6.3mm or 1/4”.

I use 0.6mm wire and use this technique all the time. Do make sure the material is firmly clamped together. You can use Zinc rich weld through primer.

DO NOT use low power for plug welding, you will get poor weak welds.

Different settings entirely though for seam welding.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

http://www.theminifo...se-for-welding/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users