Photo
- - - - -

More Clutch/gearbox Woes

Best Answer Its a min , 12 February 2019 - 10:31 PM

Hi all,

As with my other post, I just wanted to give a quick update to let you know it seems to be all sorted. Looks like it was a combination of new c-clip/backing ring being slightly over-sized, so no primary gear end float, and when I fitted the clutch plate, I didn't leave the pressure plate loose enough for the clutch plate to centre itself before torquing up the pressure plate causing the whole flywheel/clutch assembly to be unbalanced. Now, I have smooth gear change with both the engine running and not!

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:42 PM

Hi all,

As some of you may have seen my previous posts, I've been having a few problems with my gearbox after rebuild.

The problem I have now is,when the engine is off, all gears select nice a smooth. Start the engine and I can't engage any gears except reverse with a little crunch if not done quickly.  If I start the car with it in first and let the clutch up, no problems but when I go to change up, nada!

I'm assuming it's something to do with the clutch (verto) but I've bled the master slave cylinder, checked the thrust washer and now dismantled the flywheel/clutch/diaphragm but at a bit of a loss.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:56 AM

what do you mean by thrust washer?

#3 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:22 AM

Doh! Sorry Nicklouse, Meant the clutch release thrust/bearing.

One thing I did notice, and not sure if this is related to the taping noise (one of my previous posts) or this current problem, or both, but with the engine running, the clutch plunger was vibrating quite a bit. There's a new clutch plate and clutch release bearing fitted.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:26 AM

Idler gear shimmed correctly?

#5 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

Hi imack, yep, idler gear shimmed correctly.

Excuse my ignorance but would that make any difference to gears not engaging whilst engine running?

Cheers.

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

when starting in gear, is there any difference in starter effort between clutch depressed and in gear and clutch depressed in neutral ?  (if the clutch is dragging i'd expect the engine to be harder to turn over whilst in gear vs in neutral)

#7 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:47 PM

Hi KTS.

If there is, it's not noticeable which would lead me to say nope, there's no difference.

#8 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Its the pressure plate fingers gone weak

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

If the pressure plate had gone weak, would that not create a slipping clutch?

I would suspect primary gear too. If it has nipped up so it can’t spin freely on the crank then you effectively have no clutch mechanism.
Starting with the car in gear gives enough resistance to force the gear to turn (or actually not turn, whilst the crank rotates inside it).
However with the engine running and the car in neutral there isn’t enough resistance to overcome any nipping up so the primary gear rotates with the crank, effectively providing direct drive to the gearbox.

I have seen this with newly bushed primaries, and the ones using floating bushes.

Edited by GraemeC, 17 December 2018 - 03:42 PM.

#10 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

What have you done to the gearbox?

#11 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

If the pressure plate had gone weak, would that not create a slipping clutch?

I would suspect primary gear too. If it has nipped up so it can’t spin freely on the crank then you effectively have no clutch mechanism.
Starting with the car in gear gives enough resistance to force the gear to turn (or actually not turn, whilst the crank rotates inside it).
However with the engine running and the car in neutral there isn’t enough resistance to overcome any nipping up so the primary gear rotates with the crank, effectively providing direct drive to the gearbox.

I have seen this with newly bushed primaries, and the ones using floating bushes.

Hi GraemeC and thanks for your post.

The primary gear rotates freely on the crankshaft but admittedly, I can only say this for certain with the flywheel/clutch assembly removed. What I find strange is, and this could be my lack of knowledge, when I start the car whilst it's in 1st, releasing the clutch seems fine and motion achieved. Whilst moving, if I depress the clutch and try to go into 2nd, it comes out of 1st fine but does not allow me to even try and force it into second. There's no crunching of gears or anything and won't go into any any gear except reverse.

What have you done to the gearbox?

Hi imack,

Gearbox was stripped and rebuilt replacing all bearings and baulk rings. First attempt would not allow the gearbox to rotate and turned out to be a baulk ring issue so ended up using two of the less worn original rings. Gearbox rotated absolutely fine after that.

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

Can you select 2nd, start the car and then drive?

#13 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thinking aloud here but could the clutch plate not being centered have anything to do with it?

#14 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

Can you select 2nd, start the car and then drive?

Aye, I can start it in any gear and lift the clutch and I get drive. I just can't engage any gears or change gears when the engine is running.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

The clutch plate can’t not be centred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users