#16 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

I would go with Moke on that too,

Just the same with the larger circle of the 2, just can,t work out what that is, never seen anything of the sort

I'm just wondering if it might be an anti-run on valve or thermostat for the bell chamber heater? It looks like it has a wire hanging off it. It also looks like it has a port on it too ??? but appears small.

I am fairly sure that this is a phenolic carb spacer with a heating coil. If you take it off you will see a heating element coiled around the periphery. It was wired in series with the dash pot heater. The black wire would have had an eyelet connector on it, and be connected under the knurled knob on the dash pot heater. There should be power connected the spade on the spacer block.
Use of the choke knob put the power to it.

Both of these were for cold start on the Canadian mini (at minus 40 deg C). You won't need either in LA!
Deleting them will not affect the emissions.

As Mokespider says the other part is a throttle damper. It was fitted to improve the cold driveabilty until engine warmed up. To stop harshness/ jerkiness when throttle pedal released. Again only required to improve refinement when engine cold.
Won't affect emissions test as this is done with engine fully warmed up.

The throttle damper and mounting bracket was fitted to the Austin America if you want to source one.

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ah, OK, thanks A-cell for filling in the gaps on this one.

So, the heater in the Phenolic Block was to also put some heat in to the mix as it's leaving the carb?

I must 'fess up that I only recognised the Throttle Damper as my Metro had one, but I don't think they were fitted for all markets?

#18 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

That was the reason yes to warm the mixture. I had a search on the net and Somerford mini but could not find anything. Some reforms list the Canadian mini but no details of carb mixture heater parts.
Even with this set up a cold start after a night at -40 deg C was still tricky unless the car was plugged in to a block heater!

The throttle damper was used on the ADO16 1100 and 1300 to overcome the off throttle thump due to the combination of hydro lasting suspension and the softer engine mounting.
Carried over to ADO67 Allegro 1300 so in the parts bin when we developed the Metro and we fitted it for the same reason.

Only fitted on Canadian spec mini if I remember right. But on all markets for ADO16, ADO67 and Metro.

Happy new year down there :)

Edited by A-Cell, 03 January 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#19 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:22 PM

Thanks guys. I was wondering what the dashpot heater connected to. Glad to know I won't need to sort these out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users