#16 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Ok, thanks for your help everyone!

So the the rear ones are pretty self explanatory but how do you know how much to cut of the front?

#17 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

And one more thing, after tubbing, do you raise the arch so that the lowest part of the arch is level with the metal fender?

Like so that if i hit a bump, that it would hit the metal not the fiberglass arch....

#18 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

You need to fit the suspension and wheels but without rubber cones or shocks then move the wheel through its full travel up and down to the bump stops with wheels turned left and right, if it can hit then it can hit when in use.

#19 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

If by it you mean the tyre then you'll be in a ditch on the roof if it's much more than a slight rub! I've seen loads of arches buckled when a pot hole on a sharp bend threw the wheel up, makes a right mess, you won't be worried about the fibreglass arch!

#20 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

if this helps this picture shows the fitment i am going for...
sorry, this is my first mini, i know the look i am going for but don't have the knowledge and experience so your help is much appreciated!

I have no idea about the arches lol but that looks decent and worth trying! If thats the look you want then go for it just be prepared to have repercussions.

I used to know someone who had his car so low he kept spare sumps because he’d go through one every couple of months by hitting something ? low cars are a pain in the a**e (literally) but worth it IMO

#21 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

You need to fit the suspension and wheels but without rubber cones or shocks then move the wheel through its full travel up and down to the bump stops with wheels turned left and right, if it can hit then it can hit when in use.

I'd add at least another 1/4" for flex and tire expansion.

#22 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

so sorry for all my lack of knowledge... 

but using this picture can someone tell where is the best place to cut the metal in relation to the arch?

Attached Files

#23 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

I'd add at least another 1/4" for flex and tire expansion.

that helps thanks!

#24 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:25 PM

sorry, this is my first mini, i know the look i am going for but don't have the knowledge and experience so your help is much appreciated!

lowered at the front cut wings. standard rear.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:26 PM

And one more thing, after tubbing, do you raise the arch so that the lowest part of the arch is level with the metal fender?

Like so that if i hit a bump, that it would hit the metal not the fiberglass arch....

from the pictures you have shared dont need any tubbing as they have been standard rear.

#26 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

but using this picture can someone tell where is the best place to cut the metal in relation to the arch?

you cut whatever is needed for your set up.  i only trimmed the front of the wing/front panel area as that is what the tyre caught on. if you are not changing the upper shock mounts the internal bumpstops generally stop wheels hitting the metal. but again it all comes down to what you build and want.

#27 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

lowered at the front cut wings. standard rear.

So now i am confused about the rear because i am getting different answers :unsure:

#28 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

you cut whatever is needed for your set up.  i only trimmed the front of the wing/front panel area as that is what the tyre caught on. if you are not changing the upper shock mounts the internal bumpstops generally stop wheels hitting the metal. but again it all comes down to what you build and want.

i will be using hi los and lowered adjustable shocks, does that change or reduce the wheel travel?

#29 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

you cut whatever is needed for your set up. i only trimmed the front of the wing/front panel area as that is what the tyre caught on. if you are not changing the upper shock mounts the internal bumpstops generally stop wheels hitting the metal. but again it all comes down to what you build and want.
i will be using hi los and lowered adjustable shocks, does that change or reduce the wheel travel?

Nope. I ran about an inch gap between my sportspack arch and the tire. Rubbed like hell. I've had to trim the arch and raise the suspension a little.

#30 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

another picture i found just for good measure showing what look i am going for

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users